Has anyone ran across GPS software that will import a route from Google Maps (via email or however) or Google Earth as planned on a PC? Does Garmin Mobile allow this? Sometimes on motorcycle rides, it would be nice to program some routes on my computer, where it's very easy to zoom, add waypoints, etc. and then upload that exact route to my Bold. I've tried amAzeGPS, Google Maps, and Gokivo, etc. but they all appear to only allow you to plan your route from within their app on your phone.
    04-26-09 09:44 PM
    Can't think of any right now. If you use Mapquest, Mapquest Mobile may be an option.
    04-27-09 12:33 AM
    Actually, even my tomtom has problems with preplanned routes. The issue is in the field (real roads and driving), it tends to want to calculate its own route. You have to be very careful planning an ITINERARY and getting is past crucial intersections or as you approach an intersection, it only knows you now want to get to Point D and it will tend to calculate at that time, so if you wanted to go to Point D via Point C, it won't necessarily go that way if it thinks going via Point C2 is better than via C.
    04-27-09 12:44 AM
    Can't think of any right now. If you use Mapquest, Mapquest Mobile may be an option.
    Thanks! I totally forgot about Mapquest. My brain had been Google-washed. I checked it out and although the mapping functionality is a bit more clunky on the PC compared to Google Maps, it DOES allow you to save routes that are readable by Mapquest Mobile (the free version). For $49.99/year, one can get the traditional GPS voice-enhanced turn-by-turn features, but I don't think I really need that for my use.

Google et al needs to add this feature - I can't imagine that it would be that hard.
    04-27-09 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD