Hi there, I�ve got my blackberry bold and I�ve downloaded google map. But, its not what I�m looking for�.I want to download map/gps that describes exactly where I am and tell me the direction to place that I want. For example, hotels in street X.
    My brother told me that is not for free and I�ve to buy software online to get best features.

I don�t know what program shall I bur or download?
    08-12-09 01:31 AM
    I do believe your brother is right. Amazegps is supposed to be good but not sure if it has the functionality you need. you are asking for a lot for something that is free.....
    08-12-09 01:38 AM
    I dont mind buying the software
    08-12-09 01:51 AM
    Amaze is a great app. I've had for about a week now on my Bold and it works awesome. Turn by turn voice navigation.

You can download it here: Download amAze

Other than this app, your other options are the AT&T app, which costs $10 a month. Not worth it IMO. And Garmin also makes an app which is a one time price of $100.

Try out Amaze for a bit and if you don't like it, go with the other options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by AClayeJ; 08-12-09 at 06:09 AM.
    08-12-09 06:07 AM
    Nav4All is another free mapping app with voice navigation. I didn't care for its unusual user interface, but I haven't used it in a while and it may have been updated. Since it's free, it's definitely worth a look. Download it from here: Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
    08-12-09 06:37 AM
    I have google maps and it does that for me. I just go to get directions from my location and put in wal mart or wal greens or something and it gives me a list of all the surrounding ones and directions to them all from my location. It's the best I've seen and very acurrate as to where my location is.
    08-12-09 06:50 AM
    Garmin Mobile: Take a free test drive on your GPS-enabled BlackBerry | Garmin Garmin mobile is pretty good and you can use it for 7 days free. Here's the OTA download link. http://getmobile.garmin.com/trial.

Last edited by JD914; 08-12-09 at 07:05 AM.
    08-12-09 07:02 AM
    Nav4All is another free mapping app with voice navigation. I didn't care for its unusual user interface, but I haven't used it in a while and it may have been updated. Since it's free, it's definitely worth a look. Download it from here: Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
    I tried Nav4All the other day. I also hated the user interface. Amaze has 3D maps, where Nav4All doesn't and it has a much nicer and easier to use interface.

Google maps is nice and free. It does what its supposed to do and that's pinpoint your location and give you directions to anywhere.

You can't really compare Google Maps to Amaze or even Garmin. They're two different apps really. GM is what it is, a mapping and direction app. Where Amaze and Garmin is navigation software with turn by turn voice directions. I myself have both GM and Amaze on my Bold. Getting somewhere I've never been I find myself using Amaze. I hardly have to look at my Bold because it tells me where to go. Its harder to drive and look at Google Map's directions. Navigation software does that for me. But I use Google Maps if I want to find a particular place or multiple places and then use Amaze to map it for me. And Amaze will also search places for you too just like GM. Both are good, but are different apps.

08-12-09 09:17 AM
    Your exactly right! It is a little harder to drive and look at GM to see where your going but it's FREE! LOL! That's what i like about it, if your a cheapo like me it will still do the job, I just didn't want to pay for anything. I'm sure the paid amaze is better though.
    08-12-09 09:21 AM
    Gokivo Navigator...and it's free.
    08-12-09 12:07 PM
    I'm gonna try the Gokivo Navigator!!
    08-12-09 12:18 PM
    Your exactly right! It is a little harder to drive and look at GM to see where your going but it's FREE! LOL! That's what i like about it, if your a cheapo like me it will still do the job, I just didn't want to pay for anything. I'm sure the paid amaze is better though.
    No, Amaze is totally free. There isn't any paid Amaze, that I know of. Amaze is a free turn by turn voice navigation app.

08-13-09 06:25 AM
    Oops! Sorry, I don't want to give out wrong information but I coulda sworn someone said it was a free trial and then you had to pay. I tried amaze and gokivo but I can't decide between the two!! I like the maps on amaze but gokivo seems a lil quicker !!

I've been playing with the 2 all morning and have come to the conclusion that Amaze is better in three ways!
    Map selection is awesome, you get 4 to choose from.
    The voice is louder and extremely crisp and clear compared to Gokivo!
    When your just looking around on the map it doesn't have to update it self for 10 seconds every move you make, that was slow and annoying.

Amaze ROCKS
    Last edited by chrisk2009; 08-13-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: UPDATE!!
    08-13-09 06:56 AM
    Oops! Sorry, I don't want to give out wrong information but I coulda sworn someone said it was a free trial and then you had to pay. I tried amaze and gokivo but I can't decide between the two!! I like the maps on amaze but gokivo seems a lil quicker !!
    Garmin's app has a free 7 day trial and it costs $99 after that, but Amaze is totally free. I've never tried gokivo, I will have to give it a try too.
    08-13-09 09:12 AM
    Telmap Navigator - kills Gokivo in my opinion - i mean if we're comparing Beta testing apps.

Eventually both will probably charge but I've tried both... Telmap stuck, Gokivo lasted all of 10 minutes. In my opinion, even AMAZE is better than Gokivo.

Just my opinion.
    08-13-09 12:03 PM
    i was not impressed with amaze, or nav4all (although it's been awhile since i tried that one) but i love gokivo. people say it will cost money eventually, and it might...but there's no sign of that yet. i like the was poynt and gokivo work together. search something in poynt, click navigate or whatever and it automatically loads it into gokivo.
    08-13-09 12:33 PM
    I just got gokivo myself and have been playing around with it. I haven't really had time to test it out going down the road yet, but will later today and this weekend. I seem to like it a lot better than Amaze so far. Like one member said, it's a little quicker to me and it uses the full trackball, where Amaze doesn't. You have to push Q or P to go back or end it, etc... which I hate going down the road since the Bold is so wide, it's hard to reach those keys with one hand sometimes. lol

I'll give a better review of it when I can. I did find out, and some of you may know this already, but I didn't till now, that NIM (Networks in Motion), the company that makes gokivo also makes VZ Navigator. Verzion's Navi app that you have to pay for.
    08-13-09 01:28 PM
    $79 US for Garmin Mobile.

The best money you'll spend. It has voice turn by turn directions.
    It requires cell service to operate though as maps are downloaded on the fly.

Pictures are directly from Garmin and from the Pearl version. Bold 9000 looks pretty much the same, just wider screen.

Last edited by Spazmogen; 08-13-09 at 02:10 PM.
    08-13-09 02:02 PM
    Try Life In Pocket. Great interface, gives audible/visual turn by turn directions. Best of all its free. Easier to use than Gokivo and the app is 1/3 the of Gokivo.

08-13-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks alot ^^
    i'll try what u guys gave me....
    08-14-09 02:39 AM
    Try Life In Pocket. Great interface, gives audible/visual turn by turn directions. Best of all its free. Easier to use than Gokivo and the app is 1/3 the of Gokivo.

Hmm, I haven't tried that one either. I'll give it a go sometime today. Thanks.

The Garmin app looks real nice and IMO looks to be the best priced for a paid navi app. $79 to $99 isn't that bad for a one time fee when compared to AT&T's $9.99 a month fee. If I traveled a lot I would buy the Garmin app, but I don't need it that much. Its nice to have when I do need it though.

I like Gokivo so far. I tried it out on the way home yesterday from work. The interface is awesome. The only complaint I have so far is the volume level. I wish it was a little louder. It got me home yesterday with no problem even when I took a slightly different route, it rerouted me a different way. I also like that you can enter in a different detour on the fly. All and all its not bad so far.

Last edited by AClayeJ; 08-14-09 at 12:13 PM.
    08-14-09 05:53 AM
    I hated life in pocket - the volume was too low on my Bold, the voice commands were rather choppy and it didn't give you much warning. Amaze is pretty good for a free one, with a map and loud clear voice commands, re-calculates pretty quickly if you miss a turn too.

I haven't tried gokivo or nav4all.
    08-14-09 10:18 AM
    I have noticed a slight memory leak with Gokivo. At least I think it's Gokivo anyway. My memory leak problems were fixed until I installed it yesterday. I'll let you guys know for sure soon. I just may be going back to Amaze here soon. lol
    08-14-09 12:16 PM
    I have noticed a slight memory leak with Gokivo. At least I think it's Gokivo anyway. My memory leak problems were fixed until I installed it yesterday. I'll let you guys know for sure soon. I just may be going back to Amaze here soon. lol
    i think you are right about the memory leak. i've noticed this as well. oh well, either it slowly comes back after closing the program, or i soft reset afterwards haha.
    08-14-09 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD