Kind of a silly topic, but I'm a newbie so bear with me...

I notice that a lot of people make their PIN public on CB and I was wondering if I should do the same. What is the advantage of this? I feel like it would be strange to message someone I don't know/recieve messages from someone I don't know.

I know it is a personal decision and I have the choice not to make my PIN public, but since so many people do I would assume there would be an advantage in doing so.
    12-12-08 03:11 AM
    I mean its a risk, most people use it to make friends, but with that comes the handful of "others". Its really just a personal choice for you, how comfortable you are with talking to a complete stranger

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 03:16 AM
    Agreed. It depends on your comfort level with getting messages from strangers.

12-12-08 03:27 AM
    I have to agree with you fclensy, when I first got here I was thinking "why would I want anyone on here messaging me on my phone!?" So I keep it private. I've posted here and there in a forum post so the chances of everyone seeing it is much less than anyone looking in my profile or signature.
    With that being said, I don't think I've ever gotten a request once from anyone on this site on BBM. I had a girl PM me once, but that was it.

What I do is say, if you want my PIN, PM me and we'll discuss it.

There is no harm though in posting it publicly. It can't be used to hack your device or be used in any fraudulent manner or anything. It's essentially a decision based on whether or not you want random people requesting you to be "friends" on BBM.
    12-12-08 04:23 AM
    i haven't had any trouble with my pin being posted and i haven't heard of any one else having trouble. now since i said that i may get a crack pot. we can't tell you what to do its how you feel about it and if you want to try it for a while to see how it goes then give it a chance.
    12-12-08 06:06 AM
    With my work, I get 50-150 emails/messages per day. I don't give out my PIN because I am really very busy handling all my other messages. This is in addition to the many phone calls made every day!
    12-12-08 06:42 AM
    I agree that it's a personal choice. For me it's just as easy to go through the PM. It gives me the opportunity to respond when I have time rather than my phone going off at work.
    12-12-08 06:53 AM
    I'm usually on the mobile version of crackberry so I don't know if my pin is displayed. But hey if a attractive woman wants to shout me Holla, ill be cool With that lol

12-12-08 07:21 AM
    With my work, I get 50-150 emails/messages per day. I don't give out my PIN because I am really very busy handling all my other messages. This is in addition to the many phone calls made every day!
    It is amazing that you find time to post 24+ messages a day on CrackBerry as well joe003.
    12-12-08 08:49 AM
    I'm usually on the mobile version of crackberry so I don't know if my pin is displayed. But hey if a attractive woman wants to shout me Holla, ill be cool With that lol
    Yeah, your PIN is showing.

Hey fclensy, I wouldn't make your PIN public if I were you. I've done that and had to weed through a barrage of weirdos and pervs to get the truly awesome messenger contacts that I have now. The best thing to do is to go through PM first. Then if you think that person might be someone you'd like to chat with, get their PIN and add them. That way, if for any reason you need to delete that person, there's less of a chance that they saved your PIN in their phonebook.

Also, the people with higher post counts don't seem to get as many weirdo requests because the weirdos seem to respect that or something. I might make my PIN public again once I reach 2,000 posts.
    12-12-08 09:22 AM
    Uhhhhhhh

Unlike AIM, if you dont add them they wont have you on their list.

If you actively delete them after adding them, you'll leave their list anyway.

You are always in control.

If you don't like them- delete them.

Simple as that, no questions asked.

I don't see the problem with it.

I don't list mine anymore because there are alot of weirdos here, and I don't feel its worth the time to add, then delete.

But really, its not dangerous.

It's not like they can find where you live or anything, or find out your cell number.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 12-12-08 at 01:11 PM.
    12-12-08 01:08 PM
    I use the mobile version a lot too is my pin public?

12-12-08 01:32 PM
    Uhhhhhhh

I don't list mine anymore because there are alot of weirdos here, and I don't feel its worth the time to add, then delete.

It's not like they can find where you live or anything, or find out your cell number.

You can't tell if someone is good or bad by their PIN request. The point is to avoid getting some weirdo thats going to send you pervy messages or unwanted pics, period. Going through PM reduces the chances of that happening. Pervs usually won't PM you for your PIN. They like easy prey. Lol

Also, sometimes just deleting people won't entirely get rid of them. There are people out there who will save your PIN # in their phone's address book, then send you a new request everyday for a month and a half (f*****g annoying!). I'm not going to mention any names, but I've had this happen to me.
    12-12-08 02:59 PM
    I use the mobile version a lot too is my pin public?

Nope. Your good.
    12-12-08 03:01 PM
    I prefer not to post my PIN, i like to know who is on the other end before hand...
    12-12-08 03:02 PM
    Luckily thats never happened.

But if it does, I can garuntee you-

I'll Break Out My Spurrs!

12-12-08 03:02 PM
    I display my pin and have met a lot of awesome people. It's not like they can apply for a credit card with your pin number. It's a way to make friends with other bb users. That's the best part about using a bb.

12-12-08 11:09 PM
    The other thing to think about is the fact that you're basically making friends with some BECAUSE of a blackberry. Unless you've posted your PIN in a specific thread of common interests (tattoos, fans of The Office, etc..), right off the bat the only thing you have to talk about is a blackberry. For me, that's not a good enough topic to hold a decent conversation.
    And of course, as people have pointed out, there are plenty of folks who think BBM is a 900 chat line.
    12-12-08 11:20 PM
    I have quite a few people that I chat with that started off as just bb conversation. Now we chat about everything. Our families, work, hobbies. Some I have been chatting with for years. So to each his own.

12-12-08 11:28 PM
    lol I guess in addition to that, you have to be a social person and be able to carry on a conversation--which is probably why it works for some and doesn't work for me.
    12-12-08 11:32 PM
    Everyone is diffrent and despite displaying my pin and posting it in a couple contact threads on several boards I've only ever had one add me.

I wouldn't post a phone number but its a little nicer with Pin, stays pretty secure and you can delete them at any time.
    12-13-08 03:55 AM
    for me I would probably give my pin out to someone who I may talk to but to post it randomly. I am not interested..

The truth is if someone pm's me and asks for my pin.. it assures me that this said person may actually want to talk to me not just some random whoever..

There may be some weirdos out there but not everyone is a weirdo and you can make interesting contacts using things like this..

There is people on this site that I think are cool and they probably don't even know that I think there cool haha

but whatever. Your choice if your skeptical about it I wouldn't do it but don't be afraid to share your pin with someone if they ask..
    12-13-08 04:30 AM
    I leave mine up on my info and have had people use me kind of for training (talk about the blind leading the blind) on BBM. Like stated above you still have final control. Of course I am older and will never be stalked :>).
    12-13-08 07:54 AM
    To me the risk is knowing that any non-member visitor to CB site could see it and contact me. Of course if the site blocked the info from non members they could always sign up and then see my PIN. So I know it doesn't make the greatest sense but I would rather exchange PIN's privately.

12-13-08 08:14 AM
    Uhhhhhhh

Then comes regular PIN messages that can't be avoided for just one user, only PIN messaging as a whole.

IMHO, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. It's like giving your personal number out. You can't block them unless you block all or change your PIN (meaning a new Blackberry). I think it's easier to tell your wireless company you'd like to change your wireless # due to harassment rather than a replacement blackberry to change my pin for the same reason. That's just how I feel.
    12-13-08 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD