In all truth I think Blackberry should just go for it and develop a Android based device with a OS10 skin which would be a unique device because it would offer better security then the competition and would have full access to google play services which might just draw back the Android user who needs full google play services for their everyday needs.

Make it with great specs and you could still market it to the enterprise folks, but now you would have the eye of the consumer too? At least make a huge effort and even if it might not be very successful, you can at least go down in flames saying you have given it your best shot!! Just my two cents.
    Last edited by bakron1; 07-03-15 at 05:54 PM.
    07-03-15 02:44 PM
    The bottom line for me is that BlackBerry works for my needs. No, that's not quite right. BlackBerry works like a charm for my needs, and I don't want anything else. I have nothing but praise for the OS and the company itself.

Honestly, I have TRIED to replace my Berry partly out of peer pressure and from reading blogs and partly because I honestly wanted to know what else was out there by actually using all the other popular phones on the market. So, I tried iOS and Android and WindowsPhone. None of them lasted as my daily driver. And the whole time I was using these other phones, I kept trying to justify work-arounds within those alternate Operating Systems to make them emulate a BlackBerry. Then it hit me, why not just stick with the original? Go back to BlackBerry - permanently. So I did.

I pay no mind to any opinions from others that are negative. Perhaps it is my age creeping up on me as many of us tend to get thicker skins as we age and get less prone to following the herd, or perhaps it's just because I want what I want and finally realized that.

Whatever the case, I love my BlackBerry and have nothing but positive to say about it, the company, the OS and anything else attached to it. I'll definitely have an open mind to their new offerings, whatever they may be. They have not let me down in the past, and I believe they won't let me down in the future.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    07-03-15 02:46 PM
    While I agree that cheerleading ignores reality and is counter productive, the negative Nellies that come out of the woodwork on cue here makes one wonder what their motivation is.
    They are interested in the future of the company and chose to participate in this discussion on a public forum. You can be interested in the future of a company without necessarily being a cheerleader about it.
    DrBoomBotz and Ecm like this.
    07-03-15 02:50 PM
    Do you really think anything said on Crackberry effects BlackBerry in anyway?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:06 PM
    While I agree that cheerleading ignores reality and is counter productive, the negative Nellies that come out of the woodwork on cue here makes one wonder what their motivation is.
    To state that they are against BlackBerry's actions under Chen and want a change of direction that includes releasing hardware people actually want buy. This is clearly not the case with the product portfolio released under his tenure. Also these rumors of Android BlackBerry devices aren't good for people who want BlackBerry to put effort into the OS. People are venting their frustrations at what they see is being done to the company.

Posted via Z30
    07-03-15 04:08 PM
    Interesting. 80% of the comments were negative. Some rude and with insults.
    You set that tone with your original post.
    07-03-15 05:02 PM
    I don't cheerlead for any corporation in the world. I just want to see what BlackBerry comes to the table with as a "no-compromise" device after so much compromise we had to endure to date.
    07-03-15 06:15 PM
    Interesting. 80% of the comments were negative. Some rude and with insults.

I thought this thread is meant for happy BlackBerry users. Why are you negative people come here? Stop answering here. You are pushing away positive people here.

20% were very positive. I also received great PM's. Thanks for that!

Posted via CB10
    Some points of contention:

1. You complain about insults in this post, yet the first insult in this post comes from you. If there's a negative atmosphere in this thread, you created it.
    2. The sooner you realize that this is a place for discussion and debate(which isn't always happy and positive)the better your experience here will be.
    3. What you call bringing negativity to this site and forum, most of the rest of us call discussing the realities of BlackBerry's situation and that of the market.

BlackBerry isn't dead, but it is for damn sure in dire straights, and no amount of well-wishing or positive reinforcement will change that. If you can't handle discussion and debate regarding BB's current state, that's your problem and no one else's.
    mornhavon, TgeekB and Ecm like this.
    07-03-15 06:25 PM
    ...The reality is the Blackberry brand is dead here in the USA and no matter how much I try and preach the brand here, it's not going to change the outcome any time soon....
    Saw the latest leaks of the 2 BB Android devices couple of hours ago?
    One is a PASSPORT-ish looking device, and another... i am pretty sure it's going to be a slider.
    And these 2 are going to draw some attentions from users in the Android camp... hell, they might even migrate here...
    07-03-15 07:02 PM
    I have just finished visualizing Blackberry's success with the upcoming Android smartphone. Did you feel it?
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    07-03-15 09:04 PM
    I take huge adventure politely and we'll done. For great purpose and achievement. Live lo pp

Posted from whatever device I'm currently using.
    07-03-15 09:37 PM
    That was typed with my awesome lg g4 flagship with a touch screen problem in 80% of their devices. Looking live androids. And it's accurate keyboards. Have a good nifty

Posted from whatever device I'm currently using.
    Well slow down. I learned a couple of years ago after many failed lg's and Samsungs that flashy is temporary and their keyboard suck and a cell phone can actually handle abuse and keep on ticking whilst flicking. Go bb.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 10:04 PM
    I hope this rumor (BlackBerry running Android) is true just to see if it has any merit. Once and for all we will see if the security argument holds water. If it does, some Android users should be interested in the new device. It may be the only way BlackBerry has of getting back into the game. At least their name will be out there again.
    bakron1 likes this.
    07-04-15 07:57 AM
    BlackBerry can get themselves out of this slump. They just have to work hard. I'll compare them to two auto makers:
    Hyundai: When I grew up they were cheap crap cars. I was told to never buy one... They changed their image and quality and people changed their perception. Now they are one of the top selling import cars in Canada
    BlackBerry can do it. They need the brains of the people from these two car companies and they will have a shot at being noticed and wanted again.

/rant
    Hyundai offered long warranties (still do in US at least) and bang for the buck, more for less. I'm all for BlackBerry doing this, but when will they start. They offer less for more. Less apps, less spec, less quality on the customer service for more than what the competition offers. They refuse to accept the fact that in the smartphone world, that have a horrible brand image and reputation, something I like to call the Waterloo Distortion Field, and they need to accept that fact, and start offering more for less to build up a base and following again. I'm not sure if it can be done now, but that is their only shot, if they want to grow hardware (which I don't think they do). I'm sorry but what I see Chen doing now, cowering back to enterprise, will only lead them to being the EMM and some software running on an iPhone, Android, or rare Windows Phone. If that's what he wants, great, but I'll be buying the phone he wants to support and not the one he could care less about (which has the BlackBerry branding on). Their name in Enterprise with the end user is just as bad.

Had I bought a iPad2 instead of the PlayBook, I'd still be getting support from Apple and BlackBerry, and I would be able to run Blend on it and have great interaction with my Z30. Meanwhile the PlayBook still has better specs than the iPad2 and could have done so much more, but BlackBerry quit after one "failure" and abandoned the product in a horrible state. It is things like this that just kill your credibility and loyal base. They must rebuild the brand, but after burying it further during this transition they might have killed it completely.

Posted via Z30
    brian4591 and crackberry_geek like this.
    07-04-15 08:25 AM
    The reason I call iPhone users sheep is because they follow the brand because they have no idea what other devices can do they are just buying them because someone else has one, or someone told them to. They cannot think for themselves.
    Well, they don't have to do much research to know that a new iPhone will be available in the early Fall and will run iOS. You don't have to follow iMore to know that. The Slider? Nobody knows for sure what the OS will be and if or when it will come. You've got to check CrackBerry on regular basis to guess when it might be coming and read Android Central to see how it will work.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-04-15 08:28 AM
    I hope this rumor (BlackBerry running Android) is true just to see if it has any merit. Once and for all we will see if the security argument holds water. If it does, some Android users should be interested in the new device. It may be the only way BlackBerry has of getting back into the game. At least their name will be out there again.
    I see this as a double edged sword. Some like me will view and Android device as the end of BB10, and move to either a real Android I'M, or iOS or WE. Kinda of the last straw so to say. Also if they do release a secure Android device, those that value the Security can kiss your updates goodbye. Why? Because with full Android BlackBerry will have to test every single release and run every release through FIPS due to the monolithic Kernel, just like in the old BBOS days. Also likely it will be tied to the hardware too based on the approvals I have seen with the few Android devices approved. BB10 can be released on any hardware running and ARMv7 CPU and that device is covered under the certification. They only have to retest for the certification if they upgrade the crypto kernel, or the Neutrino micro kernel. Way more flexible and better than Android way, and why Mike and Jim didn't go the Android route to begin with.

The only way I see this working for anyone who truly values security, and I'm not talking about the fan boys on here who throw it up as their only line of defense even though that's not the reason they buy the phones and don't run in a secure way, is if BlackBerry worked with Google to build an Android variant, or simply Android that runs on top of the Neutrino micro kernel, using it an the crypto kernel to handle all of the encryption and to sandbox things, while still providing the full Android experience. This I can get behind and get on board with as a solution and would buy it. Pure Android the way it runs now is not viable from a testing and certification solution. So BlackBerry better start stating what they are doing by iPhone launch time because if they stay secret, even if they go option I laid out above that is genuinely secure, but say nothing till November, I'll be gone and so will others I'm sure.

Posted via Z30
    07-04-15 08:42 AM
    Closed for review.
    07-04-15 09:02 AM
    [WARN]A number off out-of-line posts (and where they were quoted), have been deleted.

This thread can continue, but is now on our radar. Keep it civil. Discuss or debate the topic, but do not get personal! Do not insult members specifically, or in general. In particular, calling someone a "troll" or "sheep" should be avoided at all costs. For those familiar with hockey, the "instigator rule" is in effect.

For those who may need a refresher, here's the Community Rules and Guidelines that were referred to earlier in the thread.[/WARN]

/opened
    07-04-15 10:07 AM
    [WARN]A number off out-of-line posts (and where they were quoted), have been deleted.

/opened
    Apparently my long beautiful rant has been deleted... darn it I really enjoyed what I said and thought I had some great points. Next time I guess links to Urban dictionary are not the best idea, lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 10:33 AM
    For the record -- if anyone has issues with my editing in the thread, take it to a PM. Don't discuss moderators' actions in the forums.
    07-04-15 10:43 AM
    I see this as a double edged sword. Some like me will view and Android device as the end of BB10, and move to either a real Android I'M, or iOS or WE. Kinda of the last straw so to say. Also if they do release a secure Android device, those that value the Security can kiss your updates goodbye. Why? Because with full Android BlackBerry will have to test every single release and run every release through FIPS due to the monolithic Kernel, just like in the old BBOS days. Also likely it will be tied to the hardware too based on the approvals I have seen with the few Android devices approved. BB10 can be released on any hardware running and ARMv7 CPU and that device is covered under the certification. They only have to retest for the certification if they upgrade the crypto kernel, or the Neutrino micro kernel. Way more flexible and better than Android way, and why Mike and Jim didn't go the Android route to begin with.

The only way I see this working for anyone who truly values security, and I'm not talking about the fan boys on here who throw it up as their only line of defense even though that's not the reason they buy the phones and don't run in a secure way, is if BlackBerry worked with Google to build an Android variant, or simply Android that runs on top of the Neutrino micro kernel, using it an the crypto kernel to handle all of the encryption and to sandbox things, while still providing the full Android experience. This I can get behind and get on board with as a solution and would buy it. Pure Android the way it runs now is not viable from a testing and certification solution. So BlackBerry better start stating what they are doing by iPhone launch time because if they stay secret, even if they go option I laid out above that is genuinely secure, but say nothing till November, I'll be gone and so will others I'm sure.

Posted via Z30
    I understand what you're saying, though I don't understand all the details on how to do it. Let me ask though, what would be the incentive from Google to work on something like that with BlackBerry? Do you think they see BlackBerry security as something that could benefit them?
    07-04-15 10:51 AM
    I understand what you're saying, though I don't understand all the details on how to do it. Let me ask though, what would be the incentive from Google to work on something like that with BlackBerry? Do you think they see BlackBerry security as something that could benefit them?
    Google is not a heavy player in business, or at least secure business. Knox didn't pan out like they had hoped. iOS is more trusted than Android for those businesses now and is easier for Apple to certify than Google since they own everything. If BlackBerry can create a secure Android, that runs full Android over QNX via the hypervisor or Neutrino kernel, that gets Android into these businesses, then I think Google would be in. And just like QNX in cars and BlackBerry/QNX not feeling they need to brand there, I'm sure BlackBerry would let the devices say powered by Android, and the general public would not know that Android was running on top of QNX, which would be handling all the security. Google owns the OHA and can do what they want, including changing the terms.

Posted via Z30
    07-04-15 12:42 PM
    (most won't have enough breath to follow through with a turn-around, have patience...)
    This.
    07-04-15 12:59 PM
    I have just finished visualizing Blackberry's success with the upcoming Android smartphone. Did you feel it?
    May the Force be with you.

BB, Still the One
    07-04-15 01:17 PM
49 12