Madonna banned by movie theater for alleged movie texting - CNET Mobile

The singer reportedly buries herself in her BlackBerry during the premiere of the movie "12 Years a Slave." Some complain. She explains it was for business. One famous movie theater chain bans her in protest.

Madonna. Enslaved?
    Madonna/YouTube screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET
    "It's just business" is an explanation that claims to cover a million deadly sins.

Anything from betrayal to betrothal.

In the case of renowned filmmaker and occasional singer Madonna, she reportedly used business as the reason she texted her way through the New York premiere of "12 Years A Slave."

However, as the New York Post's unimpeachable Page Six reported, the singer allegedly offered a further retort to someone who asked her to shush like a virgin and shut off her phone.

She is said to have accused her accuser of being an "enslaver."

Perhaps this was attempted wit. But how odd that she might choose such terminology. Some might offer that she seems to be something of a slave not to the rhythm, but to her BlackBerry.

In retaliation, one theater owner has decided that she should no longer be enslaved by the confines of a movie theater. The esteemed Alamo Drafthouse movie theater organization has decided to ban Madonna until she apologizes for her material tendencies.

As the Guardian reports, this banning may be merely symbolic. How likely is it that Madonna would waft into, say, the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas?

However, the Drafthouse is America's foremost crusader against texting in movie theaters.

In a milestone for both culture and public shaming, the movie theater once created a PSA featuring an irate movie-texter. (I have embedded this work of art below.)

This lady had been removed from a Drafthouse after texting. She had then left a voice mail, which Drafthouse CEO Tim League thought expressed the mentality and morality of movie-texters to the full.

League admitted to Entertainment Weekly that his initial idea of banning Madonna was something of a joke.

Then his tone took on a harder aspect: "Now that it seems to have taken hold, sure, I'm going to enforce it."

Mind you, he did originally tweet: "Madonna, however entitled she feels she is, is unbearably rude to others around her by texting in a theater."

There is, in all this, a word of warning to those at the very epicenter of smartphones and human disregard.

Very soon, an Alamo Drafthouse will be opening in San Francisco.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 09:45 AM
    Poor BB etiquette and seemingly a terrible human being to boot... good going Madonna!
    theegoldenone likes this.
    10-15-13 09:58 AM
    Poor BB etiquette and seemingly a terrible human being to boot... good going Madonna!
    I agree. I hate it when folks interact with their phones during a movie. Especially during scenes where it's pretty dark, the phones stick out like a sore thumb.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 10:20 AM
    Live and let live! I don't like it either, BUT I'm not the theater police.
    10-15-13 10:21 AM
    Any theater chain that actually enforces a no cell phone / no talking policy is going to win more business. Nothing worse than going into a noisy theater and seeing people dink around on their phones.
    10-15-13 10:41 AM
    I don't she really cares she could but the movie theater if she wants to. Sad but that how she rolls.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    10-15-13 11:12 AM
    All publicity is good publicity - and names don't get any bigger than Madonna.

I'd send her a gold plated Z30 as a thank you.

As for using phones in cinemas I agree - bad form - but hey, if Madonna was sat on the row in front I think my eyes would be on her rather than screen. She might be over 50, but she's still a babe :-)
    10-15-13 11:25 AM