I just got a new Curve over the weekend (pink - so cute) and I love it, except for one thing. I didn't realize that I actaully had to purchase a data plan to have this phone. I bought it for the form factor and features more than anything. I was ready to make the switch to a smart phone and I like the form factor of this one more so than the WM6 smart phones.

Now I'm having a problem justifying the extra $26 a month for a data plan. I am in front of a computer all day and even though it's pretty cool to get my email in the evenings/weekends, it's not actually a necessity.

What do you all think? Are most of you business travelers who actually need instant email access? Because that seems to be the main reason to have a Blackberry versus a WM6 device. Could I use the Blackberry for interenet access on my laptop at home and get rid of my RoadRunner? I haven't had it long enough to discover all the uses, so that's why I'm having a hard time justifying the cost right now.

Help me out here if you can. What can my Blackberry do for me that would make it worth the extra $$.
    09-22-08 08:31 AM
    For me, it's just convenience. I certainly don't "need" a BlackBerry (when it comes right down to it, really, nobody does) but I love having it for the convenience factor. I like getting my email instantaneously; that feature has saved me a lot of time in the past. For example, I have two kids in sports, and the coaches nowadays send updates and info only through email. It has happened more than once that I have been sitting at one kid's game and gotten an email on my BB saying that the time of the other kid's game had changed. Also, I am the moderator of a website forum, and I like being able to get notified instantly if there are any problems going on with that, if posts need to be removed, etc.

Sure, all these things could wait until I get home to check mail on a "real" computer, but for me, it's worth it to pay the data plan fee every month just to stay on top of things. Money is tight, but I cut expenses in other areas so I can keep the BB going. It's easy to hack $25 a month off of the grocery bill.
    09-22-08 08:47 AM
    I wouldn't be sol bold as to say that when it comes right down to it, no one needs a blackberry. I use mine heavily for business, and I would have a hard time doing my job without it. I need constant access to my emails and IM, and frankly other phones just aren't as reliable, IMHO. If one of my employees needs to email me when I'm out of the office, its great to know that the email they send will be pushed directly to my handset right then and there.

That being said, if you cannot justify the extra $ per month, you already answered your own question - take the phone back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 08:53 AM
    Perhaps it is possible to have a BlackBerry without a data plan. It's going to be pretty strange, but the BlackBerry still makes a good PDA for text messaging and stuff. Actually, if you have unlimited texting, axe that and use push email. That way, it'll be an extra $ 10 or so per month, and you'll have something a lot more useful and versatile.
    09-22-08 09:05 AM
    No, vzw requires a data plan. Period.

09-22-08 09:06 AM
    No, vzw requires a data plan. Period.
    If that's the case, then a solution to your dilemma would be to axe your text messaging plan and keep the data plan.
    09-22-08 09:10 AM
    If that's the case, then a solution to your dilemma would be to axe your text messaging plan and keep the data plan.
    Hmm. Well what if the OP texts a lot? Then that's not a good solution. Its MHO that the OP is better off with a regular phone. If she can't even justify the expense of a data plan, and doesn't even need all the features of the device, how are we supposed to justify keeping the phone to her?

09-22-08 09:12 AM
    It depends all on you. Before I had my iPhone I rarely used e-mail and searched the internet, however now I use it all the time.

If you can't see yourself utilizing the BB enough for the data plan, maybe you should take it back and go back to a smartphone where the data is not required.

Good luck.
    09-22-08 09:19 AM
    Hmm. Well what if the OP texts a lot? Then that's not a good solution. Its MHO that the OP is better off with a regular phone. If she can't even justify the expense of a data plan, and doesn't even need all the features of the device, how are we supposed to justify keeping the phone to her?
    I believe that there are (technically) better ways of messaging -- Facebook, email, etc. I see it this way: For a bit more per month, I can send messages AND browse the web, do instant messaging, and (for dorks like me) administer a server.
    Last edited by dasunst3r; 09-22-08 at 09:52 AM.
    09-22-08 09:47 AM
    Valid question, OP.

For me, it is a laptop replacement... so it fits my needs. I use it for everything, literally. Don't carry spreadsheets, a paper planner, an iPod, a physical Bible, checkbook etc. at all.

I use mine as a coaching assistant during games, keep up wit networking and to remotely manage my finances.
    09-22-08 10:08 AM
    I use my blackberry for business.. its so nice to have my email linked right to my phone for everything! I also travel a lot for work, and I can pretty much get most things done on the internet right from blackberry, instead of having to lug my laptop around. Its great when you need directions, or if you are away and looking for info on restaurants or things to do. I cant be without it! I have TMobile and my unlimited blackberry plan is $19.99 and WELL worth it. Good luck!
    09-22-08 10:18 AM
    Give it some time! I didn't use my features much at first but as time when on it has saved me. If I found myself out and about and forgot to do something my blackberry was right there and I was able to finish up a lot of work on the fly.
    09-22-08 02:58 PM
    I must have web access along with the phone, email etc. etc. for business. In one case I was able to send a customer an email with a hyperlink to factory drawings and close an order while in his office. He had been waiting for a competitor's response for over a day. Customers expect immediate responses in today's business world.
    09-22-08 03:07 PM
    i cant afford to NOT have a blackberry, unless i really want to sit in front of my computer all frickin day. what i pay for in service i earn back in freedom.
    09-22-08 03:19 PM
    I am a student and I can tell you, when I have 8am class I AM IN A RUSH to get out of the house and beat the rush hour traffic jam. I do not have time to check my school email to see if class is cancelled or a change of room. I have setup my school email on my BB, and thats the first thing I check when I wake up and thus will know if any class got cancelled that day. How do I justify the cost of data, I don't buy food on campus and pack my own lunch to make up for the data cost and more healthy too =D
    09-22-08 03:20 PM
    I am college student, I have an 8am class MWF, and I babysit DIRECTLY after, and all day Tuesday and Thursday. If my professors need to get ahold of me, my BB is the way to go. I have my emails set up to be directed to my phone, and I also have it as my primary phone number. I text constantly, I get numerous phone calls everyday, and I love having a reliable phone to do this. When I had my WM phone, it was a waste to have the data plan. With my BB, It is a time saver to say the least.
    09-22-08 03:27 PM
    ...what i pay for in service i earn back in freedom.
    Well said. I love getting out of my office and being able to stay in touch while I'm traveling around town doing other things.
    09-22-08 04:56 PM
    No BB data plan here, just a cheeeeeeeeeeper generic one. But as you can see, my internet works because I am posting this from the BB.

09-22-08 05:23 PM
    i cant afford to NOT have a blackberry, unless i really want to sit in front of my computer all frickin day. what i pay for in service i earn back in freedom.
    Very POTENT point. Agreed.
    09-22-08 05:30 PM
    No BB data plan here, just a cheeeeeeeeeeper generic one. But as you can see, my internet works because I am posting this from the BB.

Careful... not sure, but you could be hit on the back end. Make sure you know of any data charges.
    09-22-08 05:31 PM
    IMHO, my blackberry is my life. My laptop is my camera, my agenda book, my laptop, it is my notepad, it is everything. I'm never home. Always on the go, so everything I need with me is in my Berry. Also IMHO I think its pointless having a blackberry without a data plan. Believe me when I say that it is worth having the data plan.

09-22-08 05:43 PM
    I say what is 26 dollars .. if you want the data plan there is a way to come up with an extra 26 ... I know we should not be spending the extra 24.99 x's 2 for our data plans but hey we WANT them and we find a way every month to make sure we have the money to pay .. so it comes down to do you want the data plan or not .. all it is is not going out to eat one time that you would have each month .. not to hard IMO
    09-22-08 05:48 PM
    could someone tell me how to wipe my pearl clean so when my curve comes i can give it away without all my info on it

thanks
    09-22-08 05:50 PM
    Nmaguire you are thread hijacking, if you do a little searching the anwsers are there!
    To the op it all comes down to if you really need it or not. For me I'm on my phone more than my laptop or pc. I would give it a month or two. See if you need it and go from there.

09-22-08 06:10 PM
    Okay, after a week of playing with it, I decided to keep my Curve. I have found many uses for it and now feel more confident that I made the right choice. Thanks to all for the advice and support!
    09-26-08 01:44 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD