07-17-08 08:19 AM
121 ... 2345
tools
    I never once used voice dialing. I only know it's there because I sometimes activate it by accident.
    06-07-08 02:46 AM
    Its ok I use it sometimes when driving.
    06-07-08 04:24 AM
    I've only had my Curve 8330 for a few days, but I love the voice dialing. It does a fantastic job.
    06-07-08 04:08 PM
    Love it! Use it all the time with my Jawbone headset when I'm driving - which is quite a lot. It works well enough but it's not perfect. She gets told to f-off quite often but I usually get through in the end.
    06-07-08 04:40 PM
    I only use it in the car and it works fine if I have the windows up and the radio down. It also depends on how far your mouth is from the mic.
    06-07-08 05:06 PM
    Why can't the mnfct fix this problem, obviously I'm not alone... wonder if they monitor this website!
    06-07-08 09:02 PM
    I rarely use it which is why I removed it from my phone... Its just not practicle for me IMO... It quicker for me to just. Look it up in my adresss book....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-08 09:09 PM
    I have used it 5 or so times since getting my curve a few weeks ago, it has worked every time even when using my BT headset.
    06-07-08 09:33 PM
    I'd say it's unreliable at best. Apart from often not recognizing names, the voice that "reads" the name from the address book (a different voice technology than the one that asks you to 'say a command', etc), is often garbled and scratchy sounding.

I went to two different AT&T corporate stores, added two address book entries (Kevin and Linda, with fictitious numbers) and tried VD with both of those phones. Not only did the VD recognize what I said, but the reading voice sounded perfectly normal, not scratchy or garbled at all. When I got home, I removed all my address book entries and added the same two as at the stores. Still the same problems. This has made me wonder if my Curve has a defect. I've played with many combinations of settings for VD, none with very good results on my phone. For my tests, I set all the configurable items to their defaults.
    06-09-08 02:43 PM
    I have tried it on several different bb's on different providers and have never had a problem. It is accurate 85% of the time and the other times I am mumbling or not talking loud enough nor directly enough into the mic.

It is very useful with your blue-tooth and when you are driving; in fact it is the safest way to drive with a cell phone.

I would never delete it even just to save some memory. It will come in handy one day and it might even save your life ... just my 2 cents.

Think about all the accidents that happen in the few seconds to look down at your phone while driving ... I know we all say ... "I would never do that" ... but we all have done it ... and some of us are still doing it more often than we should.

Peace
    06-09-08 03:00 PM
    Works fine for me but I deleted it. I have no use for it. I find it easier to just type in a name or look through my address book.
    06-09-08 03:06 PM
    Ok, I've had it... those who are considering buying a Curve for Voice Dialing, DON"T. The technical support at RIM is AWFUL!!!!! Since June 4, I have been calling to try to find out why the voice command doesn't work. The typical wait time, even with a case number is 20-30 minutes. Then you get told that the tech who is assigned to the case isn't available... I've spoken to Singapore, England and good old US... totally lame. I was told to email them my address book then today, 9 days later, told no one has done anything to resolve the issue. I've had enough. Going to return the phone.. everyone should then maybe the manufacturer will make a phone that works BEFORE they start selling it.

I'm so tired of technology not working... Even when I've deleted the entire phone book, programmed two or three names, tried it, can't understand the play back... The QC on the mnfct must be awful cause I know some people say theirs works, but I'm on the 3rd Curve 8310-, and still no luck.
    06-12-08 06:52 PM
    When driving and using bluetooth, it's perfect. I can make calls to anyone or dial numbers with the push of a button.

06-12-08 07:26 PM
    Hello Camille,

Thank you for your continued interest in the BlackBerry solution. This is Brandon from the Handheld Escalation Team at Research In Motion.

We are pretty sure that there is a limit to the number of contacts present in the "Address Book" for voice activated dialing to function correctly. However the limit that we know of which it should work do not coincide with the amount of addresses present in your database. We believe that this could be a software defect & we are still waiting for our internal development team to get back on this. We tested using your database, brought the number of address down to just ten contacts (randomly) left in the address book & the voice activated dialing works perfectly. My insight would be to recommend that you would consider to housekeep your address book. Meanwhile we will keep working with the database file which you have provided, once there are any more updated information I would come back to you again.

If you need to contact me with additional information about this issue, please respond to this message and I or a member of my team will be notified.

The case number in the subject line of this message is critical. Please use it for all correspondence.

Thank you once again for using BlackBerry Technical Support.

Sincerely,

Brandon
    BlackBerry Handheld Escalation Team
    Research In Motion Limited

finally I get the truth... no one at ATT corporate store admitted to a problem, nor knew what the limits are... I still haven't been told the maximum number of contacts, or at what point the voice dailing gives out. Oh well...
    06-19-08 12:07 PM
    Hate it....removed it the 1st day
    06-19-08 12:21 PM
    I don't like it at all.
    06-19-08 12:44 PM
    Love it. It works pretty well most of the time...I find myself using it daily.
    06-19-08 05:28 PM
    Hate it and I'm on my way to delete it right now.
    07-06-08 03:09 PM
    I could never really see myself using it, so I deleted it. However, I was messing around with it a few times, and it always understood what I said, no problems.

07-06-08 05:31 PM
    Well since this was bumped back up. I would like to see VAD be dropped by RIM, and a deal struck up with the company that makes vlingo to replace it. Vlingo understands me WAY better than VAD does.
    07-07-08 12:27 AM
    Well since this was bumped back up. I would like to see VAD be dropped by RIM, and a deal struck up with the company that makes vlingo to replace it. Vlingo understands me WAY better than VAD does.
    Amen to that. Vlingo's voice recognition is far superior, at least for me. I am actually surprised at how many people like or use VAD! I gave up using because it never even comes close to what I'm asking for. My husband had the same experience with his phone. If I want a good laugh it is okay to use, but persomally I'm thinking about deleting it and puttung that space to much better use!

07-07-08 12:44 AM
    So I just got my BB Curve two weeks ago and I've tried the Voice Dialing and I speak GOOD clear English peeps and I'm just not impressed. I LOVE the phone but this is the one thing that does not work for me. It's fine on the numbers but I wish the name recognition was better
    I deleted it. No one uses it and it takes a lot of memory and RIM isn't famous for being generous with memory.

Gone. Erased. Adios.

If I need to voice call, I'll use the voice system in my car.
    07-07-08 01:11 AM
    I'll be deleting this worthless program... just as soon as I learn how
    Direct from Mr. Falconer's software write up on CrackBerry's main page today:

Quote ...

MaxMem for BlackBerry

New from the developers at BerryCoder is MaxMem for BlackBerry. It's a free memory optimization app for your device. BerryCoder claims that it frees up to 5MB of memory, no matter what model you are running. It does this by removing themes, files and apps that you don't use. If you need to free up some space, it could be worth a try... But I would have to warn you, please do backup your Berry before trying this one out

To download and install MaxMem OTA, visit http://berrycoder.com/maxmem.jad on your Berry.

... Unquote

I used this program on my Curve with EXCELLENT results. Gone is all that useless wallpaper and other memory hogging stuff and gone is the voice calling system.

Just be careful with this program because as Mr. Falconer points out, if you don't back up your Berry, anything you delete is gone forever.
    07-07-08 01:20 AM
    Well tech support at RIM says there is a max of 4000 contacts of course no one who sells the phone knows this... anyway I deleted 250 contacts to get under the 4000 and it still doesn't work!
    07-08-08 10:31 AM
    "loved" it.....been using vlingo more....but i deleted it now im going back to good old voice dialing..good feature i think
    07-08-08 10:35 AM
121 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD