can the BB10 be enabled to serve the skiers, snowboarding, trackers generally the outdoor recreation industry??
    The Z10 can be used as a magnetic compass. So, for people who can read old school compasses, yes, the Z10 can save you. Learn to read a compass.
    03-05-13 07:34 AM
    The Z10 can be used as a magnetic compass. So, for people who can read old school compasses, yes, the Z10 can save you. Learn to read a compass.
    Only if you get a GPS signal and a fix. Should always be carrying a magnetic compass with you anyway.
    03-05-13 11:51 AM
    Only if you get a GPS signal and a fix. Should always be carrying a magnetic compass with you anyway.
    From the documentation

You can choose to navigate with your compass based on either true north or magnetic north. Magnetic north, which is what a standard compass points to, is aligned with the Earth's poles and is always moving slightly. True north, or geographical north, is what you would see on a paper map and is constant. If you would prefer to navigate based on true north (for example, if you are using your compass to follow a map) you must turn on GPS.
    In the compass app, do one of the following:

To navigate based on true north, at the bottom of the screen, set the switch to On.
    To navigate based on magnetic north, at the bottom of the screen, set the switch to Off.
    And from the specs
    Advanced Sensors
    Accelerometer
    Magnetometer
    Proximity sensor
    Gyroscope
    Ambient light sensor
    So, unless I am understanding it wrong, you could use magnetic north without the GPS connection. Of course, you would have to adjust to the current position of the north pole.
    03-05-13 12:22 PM
    Interesting, I see those in this link BlackBerry Z10 Specs - Specifications for BlackBerry 10 Smartphone - US. I'm surprised that it has a gyro and an accelerometer. Don't have those on my torch. Z10 is pretty awesome.
    03-05-13 03:19 PM
    The built in Light Sabre Mode can be useful when dealing with hungry wild animals who see you as lunch. Just make sure you've installed the appropriate Sith or Jedi configuration packs in BB10 to ensure proper operation consistent with your alignment. (Apparently, Z10 in black comes with Sith mode and Z10 in white comes with Jedi mode, if you don't want to spend much time configuring).
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    03-05-13 04:09 PM
    SPOT connect at MEC only connects to iOS and android.
    Yes, this is the problem with a lot of apps, no open API. If SPOT would just open their API, then someone could create a compatible device. The same goes for the Stick-N-Find BluTracker. If I was part of BlackBerry, I would make sure there was 1 or 2 people constantly finding every device out there and making sure that there was either an app for the BB10 or help them create libraries for connecting those devices to BB10.
    03-06-13 07:38 AM
    Interesting, I see those in this link BlackBerry Z10 Specs - Specifications for BlackBerry 10 Smartphone - US. I'm surprised that it has a gyro and an accelerometer. Don't have those on my torch. Z10 is pretty awesome.
    I guess then, if the GPS didn't work, there could be an app for determining true north to get someone back to base camp.
    Or, if the app just put out way finder points using the magnetic north, then you would only have to use the app to track yourself back to base camp.
    03-06-13 07:40 AM
    I have written Delorme inReach to ask when we might expect an app for BB10 software so that it will work with any new BB device,
    I found something on line that suggested that InReach uses GeoPro for their partnering and app making. No open API, so you have to become a partner, I guess.
    03-06-13 07:46 AM
    I guess then, if the GPS didn't work, there could be an app for determining true north to get someone back to base camp.
    Or, if the app just put out way finder points using the magnetic north, then you would only have to use the app to track yourself back to base camp.
    Magnetic north vs true north (variation) is simple math depending on your general location and changes slightly over time. An app for such would just be a spreadsheet.

Sent by portable transceiver on 1800MHz
    03-06-13 10:38 PM
    Magnetic north vs true north (variation) is simple math depending on your general location and changes slightly over time. An app for such would just be a spreadsheet.
    Or a sqlLite database updated when you have data access.
    Wouldn't the point be, to not carry a spreadsheet around that you have to keep up with?
    03-07-13 08:37 AM
    If you know the variation or declination for the general region you are in you are good. For example, in my location magnetic north is 18 degrees west of true.

But I suppose one could make an app based on this site: NGDC Geomagnetic Calculators | ngdc.noaa.gov
    03-07-13 01:15 PM
    It should. I use my 9800 as my primary GPS device for hunting, fishing, skiing, and 4 wheeling in Alaska. And our satellite constellation is meager. I just hope I can find a way to transfer my favorite BB maps locations to the Z10.

Sent by portable transceiver on 1800MHz
    I used my 9800 for back country skiing and it was pretty amazing. It didn't need a cell signal and the GPS still tracked well. The battery ineffeciency in BB10 essentially makes it a poor choice to use. My 9800 would get 7-10 hours of GPS while the Z10 is dead in 3.

The Spot is a neat tool but it is often more trouble than it is worth. When check ins fail or are not made the level of concern for the people at home is far higher than when the adventure group doesn't have the device. If you go out on an adventure prepare and be safe, don't rely on tech to do it for you.
    08-07-13 07:27 PM
    And the BB10 Maps doesn't have offline maps either. I've bought the Mireo app to compensate on my Z10. I'm actually thinking about taking my 9800 on trips again.
    08-08-13 12:04 AM
    Depends on which wilderness you're talking about, but generally, I'd say "dear god no". Lost in the wilderness and phone GPS shouldn't be used in the same sentence. The phone would be great for calling 911, if you have service, but that'd be about it.

Phone GPS doesn't perform as well in as many locations as a dedicated GPS will. Even if you do have a signal, using GPS sucks down a phone battery very quickly.

If it is my life and I'm in the wilderness, I'd want to conserve my phone's battery for calling for help if and when I found service. But of course, I also have a Garmin Fenix on my wrist at pretty much all times, so I don't need to worry about situations like that.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-08-13 12:23 AM
    If you're ever lost in the wilderness pray you have a legacy blackberry in your pocket that will send that emergency bbm with your location coordinates through as soon as it catches a few seconds of signal as proven in the aftermath of many disasters over the years.
    08-08-13 04:00 AM
    Good points. Of course, purpose built GPS devices are definitely better by design. However, I always have a pocket compass and take a bearing before I go in.

Belfast, thanks for bringing that point up about legacy BB's. Another point in favor of using my 9800 again.

Survival situations are about using the resources at hand. One does not intentionally get lost. It's likely if you get lost, you would have your phone with you. Best to be familiar with how to use it as a nav device beforehand.

www.907outdoors.com
    08-08-13 09:12 AM
41 12