Personal location devices such as. SPOT provide wilderness adventures some measure of safety, can the BB10 be enabled to serve the skiers, snowboarding, trackers generally the outdoor recreation industry??? I am sure that there are those capable of developing programs that would make BB a valuable tool should one find themselves in trouble and in need of rescue.
    03-03-13 09:15 AM
    It should. I use my 9800 as my primary GPS device for hunting, fishing, skiing, and 4 wheeling in Alaska. And our satellite constellation is meager. I just hope I can find a way to transfer my favorite BB maps locations to the Z10.

Sent by portable transceiver on 1800MHz
    03-03-13 11:05 AM
    It should. I use my 9800 as my primary GPS device for hunting, fishing, skiing, and 4 wheeling in Alaska. And our satellite constellation is meager. I just hope I can find a way to transfer my favorite BB maps locations to the Z10.

Good question about transferring map locations to BB10. I don't use my BlackBerry GPS for my hunting, fishing, or fourwheeling, but I always have my phone and if I did get lost, I'm sure I could find my way home using BlackBerry Maps (as long as I'm not too far into the woods with no service haha)
    03-03-13 11:11 AM
    But you don't need cell service. The GPS signal receiver can be used stand alone. Like I said earlier our satellite numbers are low above 60N lat and I can still get good fixes on an OS6 device.

ajst222 likes this.
    03-03-13 11:31 AM
    BB10 has a maps app called navigator. It s has offline vector maps you can download for free. Great for when your roaming or out in the bush following Some back roads.

As far as something like spot. Currently there is no app to send a message via satellite on any phone platform that I know off.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 11:37 AM
    BB10 has a maps app called navigator. It s has offline vector maps you can download for free. Great for when your roaming or out in the bush following Some back roads.

As far as something like spot. Currently there is no app to send a message via satellite on any phone platform that I know off.

Posted via CB10
    Nice know about navigator. Yeah satellite messaging would be a spendy service and it would require a transmitter more powerful then a normal cell phone would have.

03-03-13 11:58 AM
    Also look at nogago maps, it has a lot of trail and contour maps that navigator does not.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:41 PM
    Also look at nogago maps, it has a lot of trail and contour maps that navigator does not.

Posted via CB10
    I'll check it out. I've yet to find something as good as a back roads map book for the fine details of stuff though. The ones for BC are awesome

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 02:48 PM
    Z10 will not work in the middle of algonquin. Bring a garmin handheld.
    03-03-13 04:25 PM
    It will with an inReach though...at least I think it will...haven't tried yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 04:40 PM
    03-03-13 05:20 PM
    InReach is much better than Spot...imo

I know they don't have an app yet for BB10 but I'm thinking might work anyway.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 05:31 PM
    OP:

Cellphones as GPS are popular, and in the mountaineering community it's becoming increasingly commonplace to use one - but of course, NO gps, or phone is any substitute for true navigation skills and a real map. In fact, most serious outdoors people still use GPS as a "toy"....an extra. Never rely on it. However, there are some really nice, dedicated outdoor gps apps for iphone, and, I presume for Android. Most support offline maps. In the big Canadian mountain ranges for example, you will more often than not be without signal.

As to SPOT....the purpose of spot is completely different. In fact, SPOT does not even provide navigational data or a map, it's used an emergency signalling device. So, NO, a.....well a z10 (assume that's what you mean by bb10) will never be able to function as one. A z10 can save you, if you have a cellphone signal, in which case, yes, you can call up Starbucks and ask for delivery! :-)
    chads920 likes this.
    03-03-13 05:47 PM
    Has anyone tried sideloading the inReach android app
    03-03-13 05:49 PM
    Z10 gps is really good
    03-03-13 05:59 PM
    OP:

Cellphones as GPS are popular, and in the mountaineering community it's becoming increasingly commonplace to use one - but of course, NO gps, or phone is any substitute for true navigation skills and a real map. In fact, most serious outdoors people still use GPS as a "toy"....an extra. Never rely on it. However, there are some really nice, dedicated outdoor gps apps for iphone, and, I presume for Android. Most support offline maps. In the big Canadian mountain ranges for example, you will more often than not be without signal.

As to SPOT....the purpose of spot is completely different. In fact, SPOT does not even provide navigational data or a map, it's used an emergency signalling device. So, NO, a.....well a z10 (assume that's what you mean by bb10) will never be able to function as one. A z10 can save you, if you have a cellphone signal, in which case, yes, you can call up Starbucks and ask for delivery! :-)
    That's funny...I've been getting texts all weekend from friends sleding deep backcountry pow southwest of Valemount BC all weekend..
    No cell service but they are using s inReach ELT's...albeit with I phones. they are now two way satalite enabled.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 06:01 PM
    Has anyone tried sideloading the inReach android app
    Not yet...mines in BC lol

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 06:02 PM
    That's funny...I've been getting texts all weekend from friends sleding deep backcountry pow southwest of Valemount BC all weekend..
    No cell service but they are using s inReach ELT's...albeit with I phones. they are now two way satalite enabled.

Posted via CB10
    They're actually using a completely separate piece of hardware with satellite capabilities. By this reasoning, a cellphone can drive you down the highway - it just need to be hooked up to your car. Ridiculous! LOL

Cellphones lack the hardware to function as a emergency satellite transmission device. Period. One cannot develop the 'Programs" to do so, which is exactly what the OP was asking.

Please read my posts carefully before replying. Thanks! :-)
    03-03-13 06:41 PM
    It's called 911 (or 112 depending on where you are). Try dialing it when you need emergency assistance next time.
    03-03-13 06:47 PM
    They're actually using a completely separate piece of hardware with satellite capabilities. By this reasoning, a cellphone can drive you down the highway - it just need to be hooked up to your car. Ridiculous! LOL

Cellphones lack the hardware to function as a emergency satellite transmission device. Period. One cannot develop the 'Programs" to do so, which is exactly what the OP was asking.

Please read my posts carefully before replying. Thanks! :-)
    Yes they do however:

Please read mine as well...in conjunction with inReach ELT and an app you can infact use your cell phone to text via two way satalite comunication. You are correct that no cellphone can do it by themselves... sorry about that...
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 03-03-13 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
    03-03-13 07:27 PM
    I have written Delorme inReach to ask when we might expect an app for BB10 software so that it will work with any new BB device, richardat the app allows for map overlays of the GPS data as well. It's a fantastic Canadian piece of gadget and if your into the back country experience at all I encourage you to try it out...wonderful thing indeed.

Please visit their site as well...they have a forum area (similar to CB) for all things inReach with lots of helpful information and fun topics for anyone who enjoys geomatics, mapping or similar.

Cheers
    03-03-13 07:39 PM
    Yes they do however:

Please read mine as well...in conjunction with inReach ELT and an app you can infact use your cell phone to text via two way satalite comunication.
    I do not believe I misconstrued, nor mispresented anything you said, in fact you're repeating what I elaborated on ie. they are using a seperate piece of hardware to enable satellite functionality. Certainly an iphone or android phone can be used to link to personal locator hardware.

You are correct that no cellphone can do it by themselves... sorry about that...
    Apology accepted!

I have written Delorme inReach to ask when we might expect an app for BB10 software so that it will work with any new BB device, richardat the app allows for map overlays of the GPS data as well.
    Yes, I'm certainly quite familiar with inReach. Spot is a better fit for me personally, as I would only ever use it in a last-ditch emergency, not to text out messages on any kind of regular basis. So, I'd definitely go with the lower cost of Spot. However, they both have pros and cons, and that in itself is an interesting topic. Not one I really want to address however, as my personal philosophy of mountaineering, and outdoors activity in general is one of personal efficacy, and personal responsibility - something we seem to be getting further and further away from - both in personal attitudes, and in societal policies. Much like the cell phone, these beacons can quickly become an excuse for lack of expertise, lack of preparation, lack of common sense, and the undertaking of endeavors which one is not truly ready to engage in!
    03-03-13 09:07 PM
    Exactly, the best answer to the question is don't get lost. Preparation, skill, and situational awareness is the key.

03-03-13 09:40 PM
    Or an iPhone with a bloody amazing GPS app. Offline access to the actual 1:50 000 Canadian government topographic maps for the entire country.
    It and all the map data happens to be free as well.

Lost in the wilderness? Could BB10 save you-imagezdj.jpg

Lost in the wilderness? Could BB10 save you-imagerhjo.jpg

Never been to Algonquin (my tastes run to alpine regions), but if I went:
    -Google "Algonquin Park topographic map". First hit gives me the map I need (31E16). Hit map icon In the app (bottom left), then +, then enter 031E16. Done. Map downloaded and ready for offline navigation. Depending on your route you will likely want to grab a few more, but at 8 MB per map that is not a problem.

I travel with the phone off. I periodically turn it on (interval of course varies depending on route and weather conditions. Lets say average 2 hours):

-get my precise location via GPS
    Lost in the wilderness? Could BB10 save you-imagerlg.jpg

-get a bearing and distance to my next waypoint
    Lost in the wilderness? Could BB10 save you-imageryty.jpg

-and turn it off. Then back to compass and paper topo, which is identical except for a kilometre grid to the map used in the app. I have travelled for days in remote areas and barely touched the battery.

This app gives me exactly the information I want with no cruft. It complements traditional navigation methods. If you don't know what you are doing you'll still get the Darwin Award. If my partner punched an ice axe through the phone (not me of course...) we would be quite capable of continuing our trip without it. I would miss it during white outs above tree line though. I know, suck it up Buttercup.
    03-04-13 12:53 AM
    How many satellites do you pick up on the Garmin vs the Z10 in that area?

03-05-13 07:11 AM
41 12