CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Lost/stolen phone - can it still be used w/ a different sim card?

Before purchasing a used phone, I asked the seller for the IMEI and PIN numbers and proceeded to call T-Mobile cs. After I identified myself as a current customer, they asked for the IMEI # and asked for the person's name I was buying it from. They said it was not the person who it was registered to and would not give any more info than that. It might have been lost and/or stolen.

Doe's this mean that the IMEI and PIN are locked to that person and anyone else trying to use the phone will not be able to? Even only as a phone w/o the data plan? Also, does the carrier know the IMEI # of the phone you are using when an active sim card is placed into the phone?

And no, I didn't buy it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I can only answer one of your three questions. Yes, the carrier knows the IMEI number of the phone that you are using with your active SIM card. I think that their system periodically sends a signal to your phone number which gathers this information.

I'll tell you how I know this. I was in the Tmo store today carrying a borrowed unlocked AT&T Razr phone that I had been using for about a week now with my SIM card. I never told Tmo that I had switched out phones, which I do all the time. After completing what I went to the store for, they printed out a courtesy Subscriber Detail printout for me, which lo and behold, showed that I was using a Razr along with the corresponding IMEI number for it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Franberry - thanks for sharing your experience.

From what I can figure, the person trying to sell this phone found it (or stole it) and put his tmo sim card in it and was using it. But when I called cs, it was not his name registered to the IMEI#. If the original registered owner reports it lost to tmo, would tmo try to locate the phone for him by tracing the IMEI? I think the pin can be flagged so it can't be used for Internet or bbm, correct?

I'm just thinking I'd better write all of these #'s down someplace in case my own phone gets lost or stolen. But with the millions of phones out there, this guy will never get caught anyway.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

stolen or lost GSM BB's will still work on any US carriers network since we dont blacklist IMEI's on this side of the pond. however, the PIN, when reported lost or stolen, get blacklisted by RIM and cannot connect to any Blackberry services (internet, BBM etc).

using a stolen phone, especially on the same carriers network the phone was locked/branded from, will and can be seen by the carrier. if they forward that information to police, i dont know.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts

dictoresno is absolutely correct. The only thing I can probably suggest is contact RIM and see if the pin has been deactivated.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

if you have this sellers information, maybe you can forward it to the carrier so they can inform the person who was the victim here. he may want to press charges on the theft, if it was, and he can use that information when he files a police report.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

The seller was very "fishy" but did tell me he found the phone (or stole it) and there were text messages on it wanting it back but he couldn't respond because the existing sim was already deactivated. When I did call tmo, they did not ask anything and would not devulge anything other than it was registered to another person.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts

And whats sad is this guy is going to end up selling this phone to someone less knowledgeable. I mean they will be able to still use it as a phone, just not to its full potential of a blackberry.
    Last edited by Xpimp; 07-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Xpimp View Post
    And whats sad is this guy is going to end up selling this phone to someone less knowledgeable. I mean they will be able to still use it as a phone, just not to its full potential of a blackberry.
    Or not - the owner probably did not report it at all because the cs rep said nothing about being lost or stolen when I asked. The next guy might be able to use it fully, who knows? I bet a lot of folks don't report lost/stolen phones and just cancel the sim and get another one.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shfjcs View Post
    The seller was very "fishy" but did tell me he found the phone (or stole it) and there were text messages on it wanting it back but he couldn't respond because the existing sim was already deactivated. When I did call tmo, they did not ask anything and would not devulge anything other than it was registered to another person.
    what a p1ss poor excuse. he could have used his own working phone to respond. tell him to stop trying to make a buck on someone elses stuff and return it. if he really wanted to, theres a bunch of ways he can get that back to its owner.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

shfjcs: You are right about people not reporting it when they lose their phones. My husband has a tendency of losing his phones at least once every 1-2 years and we never report it. We just go and get another phone and a new SIM for it.

I would trust your instincts and steer clear of this particular seller since you've gotten a "fishy" vibe from him, but don't be put off entirely about getting a used phone. As both a buyer and a seller of used phones (my last 4 phones, including my current BB) were all purchased from 3rd party sources so there are trustworthy sellers out there. Good Luck!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24B63158

Ahhh, I am angry all over again! About a month ago, someone swiped my three day old 8900 and I was told that there was really nothing I could do to stop it from being sold and reused. After a ton of calls to Tmo and blackberry, I learned that I could block the PIN through the Blackberry server and they would never have full functionality. It was something, but I was SO disappointed when they informed me that they could do nothing to track the phone, even with the activated GPS- (unless there was a felony crime committed murder,rape assault). Stealing is the worst and I really hope this thief gets caught!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

the police isn't going to do anything about a stolen cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    stolen or lost GSM BB's will still work on any US carriers network since we dont blacklist IMEI's on this side of the pond. however, the PIN, when reported lost or stolen, get blacklisted by RIM and cannot connect to any Blackberry services (internet, BBM etc).

using a stolen phone, especially on the same carriers network the phone was locked/branded from, will and can be seen by the carrier. if they forward that information to police, i dont know.
    CrackBerry User

GSM phones get stolen and sold all the time. Nothing new.

My guess would be that at least 25% of GSM phones on eBay and Craigs are stolen.
    CrackBerry User

So what about a CDMA blackberry? If my phone was stolen and I reported it and cut off my service, the thief could not do anything with it especially since my phone is locked to the carrier right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hello .. i just got a used movistar blackberry 8900 and its been working fine for its normal gsm functions but now i have subscribed with my carrier for the full blackberry service and it doesn't seem to work the gprs signal is on lover case and not GPRS.. a friend actually told me it could have been blacklisted and as it is there is no way i can contact the seller again .. please how do i go about this ..even if its been blacklisted could there by anyway around it
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    wasnt a good idea!

Man this really worries me now, part of my business is buying brand new or close to brand new BB's & sending them overseas, i need to find a way to check these pins, but a fast way online or something, can't call RIM for every pin it would take forever as i buy 10-20 at a time