Hello everyone! OK heres the scoop i have a bb 8830 which i ended up swapping for a curve today... however i was running 4.5.0.55 on the 8830 and well i figured it would be smart to downgrade back to the 4.2 since thats the latest my carrier has available to its clients soo i did a backup of my device and then proceeded to downgrade... after going thru the process i went and got my new curve... and at the store (with my laptop) proceeded to used the switch device wizard to transfer all my stuff.... well when it was done i noticed that my adress book did not transfer and when i look at my 8830 there was not adressess in there soo i convinced the CSR to let me take both phones home so that i could do the transfer from my PC ( keep in mind ive been with my provider for over 9 yrs so i have developed a relationship with the staff at the corporate store near by) anyways now i came home and restored my device to todays back up and still no adress book someone help please!! what should i do i have over 300 contacts soo im kinda ******** out!!
    08-01-08 07:50 PM
    Pro, I take it that your PC does not have Outlook that you can sync to?
    08-01-08 08:02 PM
    ya i have outlook... I just normally always do backups... i also have all my contacts on Upvise.com...
    08-01-08 08:10 PM
    i mean im just trying to use the switch device wizard.... but i mean i guess last resort i could get a csv file of my contacts from upvise....
    08-01-08 08:11 PM
    im in the process of reloading the 4.5.0.55 on the 8830 figured maybe if i re-upgrade the OS and then reload the backup i did earlier i figured maybe then it will recognize the adress book then i can use the switch device wizard and then re downgrade before i give the phone back to the CSR tomorrow... someone stop me if this is a waste of time...
    08-01-08 08:16 PM
    Have you tried just syncing the new bb. I went from a 7100i to an 8320. Just plugged in and hit sync. Loaded all of my contacts and appts. I had to do some clean up since I had a ton of Direct Connect PTT numbers, but no big deal.
    08-01-08 08:18 PM
    i guess i could do that but i have alot of number on my outlook that i dont want on my phone...because they are businesses that i hardly ever call anymore since i no longer due mortgages...
    08-01-08 08:21 PM
    You never know when you need a contact from the past. I just checked and I am at number of entries: 745

Some I haven't talked to in over two years but it doesn't cost me anything to keep the information.
    08-01-08 08:25 PM
    You never know when you need a contact from the past. I just checked and I am at number of entries: 745

Some I haven't talked to in over two years but it doesn't cost me anything to keep the information.
    good point... one thing i noticed tho is that im not seeing an option on Outlook 2007 to import a CSV file... and all my contacts are saved on my desktop in a CSV file
    08-01-08 08:29 PM
    Have you done a battery pull and tried the restore again?

If so, you might try wiping the device and using the Switch Device Wizard on you PC again.
    08-01-08 08:31 PM
    Re~ sorry you're a bit frazzled right now. You'll get it sorted out. Take the same advice you've given others- relax!
    08-01-08 08:40 PM
    Pro, if you decide to import the .csv files:

Outlook > File > Import and Export > "Import from another program or file" > Next > csv (Windows) > Next....
    08-01-08 08:52 PM
    Happened to me when I tried to upgrade to an unstable beta os. Thank God I did a backup. After I realized I lost my contacts I quickly did a complete wipe of the device and then did a reload from the back up and that worked fine. Took me almost a few hours but it worked. Try that
    08-01-08 09:27 PM
    Did you get it loaded?
    08-02-08 07:03 AM
    damn that sux...kinda wish that BB supported backup assistant like on my old EnV...that used to make life so simple everytime I used to switch phones
    08-02-08 09:00 AM
    Did you get it loaded?
    Well, it's been almost 12 hours since he posted this. I'm thinking he got his contacts back or else he'd of been back looking for more suggestions.
    08-02-08 09:23 AM
    Try this.

- DM will directly read a csv file.
    - Your Backup is stored as an IPD file with the date as part of its filename Backup-(2008-08-01).ipd. Here is an app that can read the data from the ipd file and export it to almost anything Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor $19.95 but has trial mode
    - Outlook 2007 will read an Excel file and Excel will read a .csv file

You should get all this back again. Let's hope so.

My advise fwiw) is to do a sync first and then a Backup. Syncs save you personal data to Outlook and that makes it much more usable than a Backup which RIM proprietary.

When I do an OS upgrade, I do a sync first, then a Backup and only then do I let DM do its stuff. Even then I let it do another Backup. I have found that if I have to downgrade, an OS 4.5 Backup does not always fully work on OS 4.2 leaving me with lost data, just like you.
    08-02-08 09:28 AM
    the abc amber that pete6 recommended is a very nice program. load a backup you have done and your numbers should load right into the program.
    08-02-08 09:39 AM
    I had the same problem as the original poster, so, how do i reload the idp file? with the app loader?

by the way, that abc amber program is pretty amazing
    08-02-08 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD