so a few months ago i got a Tour, three days later the screen cracked. The dealer i got it from said to just report it stolen so i can get a new phone+keep my old one.. i was wondering if Verizon will put a lock on the phone? I want to fix it and give it to my friend as an Xmas present. Thanks.
    12-11-09 04:22 PM
    Yes, it's been blacklisted. It's useless, except for parts that aren't tied to the cellular radio chipset inside it.
    12-11-09 04:23 PM
    Wow. This would be flat out insurance fraud.
    12-11-09 04:44 PM
    i dont think sooo
    12-11-09 04:47 PM
    Class act right there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 05:20 PM
    That's called insurance fraud. The phone will be blacklisted and rendered useless. That dealer needs a lesson in morals and decency for suggesting such a thing.
    Totally agree on that. That dealer must suck for help
    12-14-09 08:29 PM
    Doesn't sound like the smartest idea...
    12-15-09 12:02 AM
    so a few months ago i got a Tour, three days later the screen cracked. The dealer i got it from said to just report it stolen so i can get a new phone+keep my old one.. i was wondering if Verizon will put a lock on the phone? I want to fix it and give it to my friend as an Xmas present. Thanks.
    What the dealer forgot to tell you is this. To report it stolen, you have to file a real police report (the insurance company is going to want that to complete the paper work). Once the insurance company gets the report the phones info is entered into the Verizon database as being stolen.

So you can give it to your friend, but he won't be able to activate the phone. And if the store he goes to to activate it are on their toes, they will call the cops and stale your friend long enough for them to get their so he can answer a few questions as to where the he got the phone.

I was in a Verizon store last year around Christmas, when a lady was swearing up and down the phone she brought in, she had just bought at another store (turned out it was flagged stolen), they would not give it back to her and she was all huff and bluster, until the manger said she could explain it to the cops that were on the way. Well she didn't have any problem with leaving "her phone" because she had to go to work or pick up babies or something, and that someone was going to be owing her money for her phone.

So your friend will have a nice, repaired paper weight that looks a lot like a phone.

And that dealer gave you some pretty bum advice, and I'm sure would deny having said that he told you to report it stolen, if he was asked.
    12-15-09 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD