I thought a few here might find this article interesting:

By Bob Sullivan
    What would you do if you found a smartphone on the subway or at a coffee shop? If you're like most Americans, you'd rummage through the phone looking for photos, emails and even private banking information. And the chances are only 50-50 that you would try to return the phone.

Computer security firm Symantec Corp. recently conducted an elaborate, first-of-its-kind study on lost smartphones and shared the results exclusively with TODAY and msnbc.com. The company set a trap for human nature, then sat back and watched. The results were not pretty.

Symantec researchers intentionally lost 50 smartphones in cities around the U.S. and in Canada. They were left on newspaper boxes, park benches, elevators and other places that passers-by would quickly spot them. But these weren't just any phones -- they were loaded with tracking and logging software so Symantec employees could physically track them and keep track of everything the finders did with the gadgets.

The rest can be found at:

Digital Life - EXCLUSIVE: The 'lost' cell phone project, and the dark things it says about us
    03-08-12 01:50 PM
    Interesting experiment. But ultimately a predictable result.
    03-08-12 02:01 PM
    Interesting experiment. But ultimately a predictable result.
    I found a cell phone at a speakeasy in H*ll's Kitchen last year. I went right to the last number dialed and let the know I had found their friend's phone. They came and picked it up the next morning.

I never looked through the phone. Didn't interest me to do so.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-08-12 02:10 PM
    The two times I've found phones, I just did my best to get them back to the owners. The first was on an Airport to BART shuttle bus. I looked in the Contacts for a "Home" entry, called it a couple of times with no answer. Left a vmail telling them where I found it and that I was giving it to the driver. The second time was when my daughter and I were riding bikes around the park one evening. It was dark, I could tell it was a girl's phone. No "Home" entry, so called the one marked Dad. I was worried something bad might have happened. The girl had msg'ed her dad from FaceBook, telling him she lost it. After a couple calls and msgs back and forth, I met the girl's boyfriend and a couple of his friends near the park and gave it to them. I would always do that, just for the hope of good karma coming back if me or one of my family loses their phone.

Of course, I might take a peek in the Private Pics folder, but the rest of the stuff I don't really want to get involved in.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-08-12 02:12 PM
    I found a cell phone at a speakeasy in H*ll's Kitchen last year. I went right to the last number dialed and let the know I had found their friend's phone. They came and picked it up the next morning.

I never looked through the phone. Didn't interest me to do so.
    That's what I'd do, and that's what a kind soul did when they found my (can't recall model) Blackberry at a gas station a few years ago.

Freaked me out when incoming caller ID showed my name... I didn't realize it had leapt from the holster...
    03-08-12 02:14 PM
    I laughed out loud when I read this article. This is why an encrypted BlackBerry is the only way to go.
    03-08-12 02:16 PM

of course, i might take a peek in the private pics folder, but the rest of the stuff i don't really want to get involved in.

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-08-12 at 02:21 PM.
    03-08-12 02:17 PM
    Oh, and my contact information is on the lock screen. Return it to me, and I'll give you $50 even if it's damaged. (I can get a replacement through insurance.) And if you don't return it to me? No matter. You're not getting a peek at my secret pictures, calendar, contacts, or passwords.
    03-08-12 02:41 PM
    " the return rate in Ottawa was 70 percent, highest in the study. The lowest return rate – 30 percent – was in New York City."

Sorry this gave me a lil chuckle...
    03-08-12 03:08 PM
    The lowest return rate � 30 percent � was in New York City."

Sorry this gave me a lil chuckle...
    Yeah, I can see see the average NY'er just tossing it either in a mailbox and hoping the post office gets it back to them or, sadly, just tossing it in the trash.
    03-08-12 03:14 PM
    Encrypted data and password locked.

My phone numbers (alternate, work BB, office) and next of kin on my lock screen.
    03-08-12 03:19 PM
    If I found a lost BlackBerry, I would attempt to find the owner.
    03-08-12 03:57 PM
    I get a lot of crap turned in at work by various staff. Cell phones are easy. I call the carrier and give em any information they need. Personal info from the lock screen, whatever. Do not usually have a problem returning lost devices. Most carriers are ready to help, except Rogers. They don't seem to want to help you get their customer's device back into their hands. In the beginning, it was difficult to enlist their help (I always thought a privacy issue was preventing em from helping), but I wasn't requesting information, I just wanted them to get in touch with their customer and let them know where they can pick up their property. Explaining that you have no problem tracking down the person, and also explaining to them(those that lost their device(s)), that their carrier refused to help return their property. They usually grab a supervisor and are suddenly willing to lend an electronic hand.
    03-08-12 04:13 PM
    i was at a red sox game last year and dropped my brand new 9930 .it was in holster .i did not know i dropped it until a nice gentleman had it in his hands and was asking for carolyn .my name is on lock screen.i thanked him profusely .i do have insurance but i was grateful i got it back .i did not even realize it had fallen off my belt.
    03-08-12 04:17 PM
    I found an HTC Galaxy on the ski out at Sunshine Village last winter, half buried in the snow. Quite proud of how I, in one motion, twisted around and scooped up the phone without losing my poles.

I took it right to the lost & found where it was reunited with its owner in less than 30 minutes.
    OniBerry likes this.
    03-08-12 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD