I had posted this yesterday, but after reading the title of the thread in which I posted, it's clear that my dyslexia took over. I had posted in the "Making the switch from BB to another model" and I'm clearly looking to do opposite.

Hoping to get some good advice as I continue my research on the plethora of BB models out there.

My current situation:

1.Verizon user for almost 12 years. In love with their customer service and service area. When I can call 611 at 2am and actually speak to a person (who speaks English no less), how can I not love their customer service.

2.Loyal Palm user for the past 6 years. While I love the 755p I have now, I noticed Verizon is phasing out all their Palm models, including the crappy Centro. This makes me nervous and not very eager to renew my contract in December when, in my opinion, they don't currently offer anything that is more technologically advanced than my current Treo.

3.I really don't want to leave Verizon. I have been so happy with the customer service and service area, that it's hard to walk away. While in St. Martin, I was told my CDMA Verizon phone/network would only work on the Dutch side of the island. I had service (voice/text only, no web) on the ENTIRE island. My husband's iPhone on AT&T never got a signal once.

I am really leaning towards a BB because of the design. Having been a Palm user for so long, I like the idea of screen at top, keys on bottom. No flipping, sliding, necessary. That's an important point for me. The obvious need to stay on top of calendar, contacts, tasks, etc is just as, if not more important.

Verizon right now offers the Tour, which is actually a pretty nice BB, but we're in the same boat of no WiFi and existing on the CDMA network. Is being on a GSM/3G network that much better? I keep thinking back to the incident in St. Martin. I had service where I wasn't supposed to have it. Where my husband was supposed to have it, he didn't.

How necessary is WiFi? If a provider has such excellent coverage, is there really a need for WiFi?

I'm currently looking at the Bold, the 8900, and the Tour. The advantage of staying with Verizon is, for me, staying with Verizon.

The advantage of going with the Bold or 8900 would be to get on a family plan with AT&T and start using some of the 5000+ rollover minutes my husband has accrued. Is the AT&T network as bad as people make it seem? My husband has had a few problems, (most notably the incident in St. Martin. Although, I think he was just upset about my phone working and his not) but seems to like AT&T overall.

I would really like to stay with Palm, but hate the Pre (sliding keyboard and it's super small), the new Pixi coming out is just a Centro on cutsiness, and the Pro is the only other option. My problem with the Pro (offered only on Sprint) is that it runs on Windows Mobile (not Palm OS) and the fact that it's Sprint. It also has the squished keyboard factor going on as well.

I really am past the need for touch screen as well, which is why I'm considering the move from Palm to BB. If BB could manage to make a model like they exist now, but with the screen being touchscreen capable, they'd blow everything else out of the water.

I do love my Palm, but it's time to step up to something with more functionality and technology.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Erika
    10-02-09 07:06 AM
    Your best option is trying the Tour out for 30 days. Lack of wifi is ok for some and a deal breaker for others. You have to decide that for yourself and your own personal situation.

If you have another 4-6 months to wait, you will most likely see a Tour2 that includes wifi.
    10-02-09 07:15 AM
    Personally I say take the plunge.

Wifi is good when your at home or an office and just like having that extra quickness while browsing. Also, (not sure) but i think version has a 5gb cap on their data plan. With Wifi on, it doesn't count toward ur data while browsing.

But no wifi is no big deal honestly, i say go for it. The tour is a great device and will definitely get you hook on BlackBerrys.

You'll be a crackhead in no time my friend
    10-02-09 07:27 AM
    Do it, but just know that it aint no turning back. BB will get you in it's grip and wont let you go. BB is a posessive SOB and it will not let you out of it's sight. It will keep calling and calling you and you will come when it does! Addiction is quick and sure. You've been officially warned.
    10-02-09 08:56 AM
    operate with haste my young padowan
    10-02-09 12:58 PM
    Very entertaining responses.

Krishna...what do you mean a 5GB data cap? I have unlimited data now with no cap that I know of. Is it different for BB plans on Verizon?

I'm hesitant to make a switch until I'm sure this is what I want and that I have the right BB for me. On Verizon, the plans for BB's and other PDA's are different and to make that kind of switch means a contract renewal because I'd be switching plans.

E
    10-02-09 05:34 PM
    Most carriers say 'unlimited data' but they really have a 5gb cap found in the fine print. That is a lot of data though so I don't worry about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 08:10 PM
    Very entertaining responses.

Krishna...what do you mean a 5GB data cap? I have unlimited data now with no cap that I know of. Is it different for BB plans on Verizon?

I'm hesitant to make a switch until I'm sure this is what I want and that I have the right BB for me. On Verizon, the plans for BB's and other PDA's are different and to make that kind of switch means a contract renewal because I'd be switching plans.

E
    verizon has a 5 gig cap on all ther phones even though it says its unlimited its actually 5 gigs.
    10-02-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD