I've got a friend who has an LG phone with the pull-out QWERTY keyboard. The phone isn't all that special, but it does have one really cool feature. When she sends out a text, she just types everything she wants to say, and then if it's too long for one text message, the phone breaks it into smaller pieces - 150ish char. each - and sends each piece out as a seperate text.

Is there any way, either with an app or some sort of setting, to do the same thing with my Curve?
    08-04-08 02:12 PM
    Nope... But hopefully RIM will address this when they come out with OS 5.0. Your only way around it is typing your long texts into an MMS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 02:14 PM
    Just create it as an mms message. Will give you more space to type what you need. Sms - 160 character limit. Mms - a lot more (don't know the limit).

08-04-08 02:19 PM
    I think MMS might have a 1000 character limit but I'm not quite sure on that

08-04-08 02:21 PM
    Addition - can't see what berry/carrier you have but if you do hv a berry w mms enabled that's the only way to send the longer messages.

I think emailing to a cell phone has a limit as well.

08-04-08 02:21 PM
    That question is an oxymoron. Considering that SMS stands for Short Messaging System. They are not supposed to be long. The standard SMS limit is 160 characters. There is however some phones that use ESMS, or Enchanced SMS.
    08-04-08 02:22 PM
    Maximum message I sent out from my Bold was about 396 characters, do you find this too less?
    08-04-08 02:22 PM
    That question is an oxymoron. Considering that SMS stands for Short Messaging System. They are not supposed to be long. The standard SMS limit is 160 characters. There is however some phones that use ESMS, or Enchanced SMS.
    Gotta agree with sunkast, there is the "word" short in SMS. If you need to write a journal, then use eMail.

08-04-08 02:32 PM
    That question is an oxymoron. Considering that SMS stands for Short Messaging System. They are not supposed to be long. The standard SMS limit is 160 characters.
    The question's only an oxymoron if you already knew what SMS stood for . Most of the time 160 characters is plenty, but occassionally I find myself wanting to squeeze in just one extra word or two without having to go back and edit the whole message. And of course there are always times when someone asks a question that requires a more detailed answer...and email is just too slow.

Good to know that MMS allows me a somewhat longer text field.

Thanks for the info .
    08-04-08 02:43 PM
    And of course there are always times when someone asks a question that requires a more detailed answer...and email is just too slow.
    If it's that important that you cannot wait, shouldn't you just call the person??? And BTW, the thing that BlackBerry phones were made to do was email. That is RIMs claim to fame is the instant delivery of email to phones.
    Last edited by sunkast; 08-04-08 at 02:59 PM.
    08-04-08 02:55 PM
    Yeah, it definitely is disappointing that the character limit is small. But I'm glad to see that OS 5 might be fixing that issue.
    08-04-08 02:57 PM
    If it's that important that you cannot wait, shouldn't you just call the person??? And BTW, the thing that BlackBerry phones were made to do was email. That is RIMs claim to fame is the instant delivery of email to phones.
    Well, yeah, but not all of my friends have Blackberrys (yet ). Ok, actually I don't think any of them has one lol.

As for calling them, half the point of texting is that it's more discrete than a phone call, which is a must during long meetings at work. It's called.....multi-tasking (at least, that's what I tell my boss I'm doing )
    08-04-08 03:44 PM
    When I type messages in my Curve, it will break up longer texts into "pages", and send them out as additional texts. It receives them that way, too, and then pieces them together. My Pearl would do that, too.
    08-04-08 03:44 PM
    When I type messages in my Curve, it will break up longer texts into "pages", and send them out as additional texts. It receives them that way, too, and then pieces them together. My Pearl would do that, too.
    Yes! That's what my friend's phone does too. Is there an option to turn that on, or is that a carrier specific feature?

Right now, my Curve just gives me a pop-up that tells me I'm out of characters.

Edit: I'd really love the reassemble feature. It would make reading the my friend's texts much easier.
    08-04-08 04:02 PM
    Yes! That's what my friend's phone does too. Is there an option to turn that on, or is that a carrier specific feature?

Right now, my Curve just gives me a pop-up that tells me I'm out of characters.

Edit: I'd really love the reassemble feature. It would make reading the my friend's texts much easier.
    I am guessing it is a carrier specific thing, then. I don't see an option for it.
    08-04-08 04:16 PM
    actually sms stands for short messaging service
    08-04-08 04:24 PM
    Ya mine is like crobar's too? And that's how it came. It just breaks them up every 160 characters. I thought all curves did that? At the top it says how many characters i have left and it says 1 of 6 (being which pg it is) sooo 6 x 160 = 960 characters.
    08-04-08 04:56 PM
    Breaking a long text into up to 6 messages of 160 chars each is a form of Enhanced SMS, the implementation of which is carrier specific. If your correspondent is another BlackBerry user, you can always send a pin, which is not limited to 160 chars. If there's an upper limiit, I haven't found it. Pins use data service instead of text messaging.
    08-04-08 05:34 PM
    Breaking a long text into up to 6 messages of 160 chars each is a form of Enhanced SMS, the implementation of which is carrier specific. If your correspondent is another BlackBerry user, you can always send a pin, which is not limited to 160 chars. If there's an upper limiit, I haven't found it. Pins use data service instead of text messaging.
    I have always been with Swisscom as my carrier and I once owned a Sony Ericsson Symbian based phone which would allow automatic splitting of messages if I overspilled the 160 byte limit.

Neither of my Blackberrys will do this whilst my son's WinMo phone does it with ease on the same carrier.

This appears to be a BlackBerry limitation. At least under GSM.
    08-04-08 05:40 PM
    Yea All Nokia phones have that feature as well.

You're probably better off with an MMS...limit is 1000 characters
    08-05-08 05:58 AM
    I understand what he's really asking

Sometimes when you want to send a love note to the woman 160 characters isn't enough space to tell of all the dirty things you wanna do

08-05-08 06:12 AM
    T-MO UK will split a large message into up to 6 messages each including 160 characters for a total of 960 characters.
    08-05-08 06:57 AM
    I'm on AT&T and I'm also using a beta version of OS 4.5. I'm not sure which of those two things allows me to do on my curve, what you can not, but one of them does. If I go over 160 characters it just puts the extra characters into additional text messages. It's always been that way - I did not (as far as I know) turn it on.

MJ
    08-05-08 10:06 AM
    You didn't have to turn it on. You either have it or you don't. In your case, you have it. The implementation is carrier-specific. Verizon does not implement it. I did have a person with extended SMS capability send me a long text. I received it as a series of 160-char messages. But if you send me an MMS message, I won't get it at all. Verizon didn't implement MMS on the 8830.
    08-05-08 11:28 AM
    You didn't have to turn it on. You either have it or you don't. In your case, you have it. The implementation is carrier-specific. Verizon does not implement it. I did have a person with extended SMS capability send me a long text. I received it as a series of 160-char messages. But if you send me an MMS message, I won't get it at all. Verizon didn't implement MMS on the 8830.
    I was going to suggest that when composing a SMS message and you reach the 160 character maximum, that the BB interface offer to switch to MMS, and allow you to continue typing. But if a non-MMS capable phone won't get the message at all, then that really won't work. On the other hand, if you knew the message exceeded the 160 character limit prior to starting, and chose to compose a MMS instead, you would have the same problem of the recipient never receiving the message.
    08-05-08 06:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD