Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock

24 30.38%
  • Standby

49 62.03%
  • You put your BlackBerry DOWN?!?

6 7.59%
    I never lock my keyboard. For the most part, my BB is either in my hand being used, or in my holster in suspend mode. At home, I keep it out of the holster a bit more, but whenever I put it down, I just hold the standby button to suspend it and save battery life. Even at work, when I sit it in its desk stand, I suspend it unless I'm actively waiting for a response.

My question is this: Why do some people choose to lock, rather than suspend?
    07-29-08 04:13 PM
    Very rarely lock. If I'm out and about, like a restaurant or pub, I might lock it. For the most part, standby is it.
    07-29-08 04:16 PM
    My bb goes to sleep in its holster but locks after an hour.
    07-29-08 04:18 PM
    I always lock it, the case does the rest.
    Mainly because at work it is sitting on my
    desk even when I'm not at my desk
    07-29-08 04:28 PM
    After reading my post I decided an hour was too long.....just changed it to 5 min
    07-29-08 04:30 PM
    I never lock my keyboard. For the most part, my BB is either in my hand being used, or in my holster in suspend mode. At home, I keep it out of the holster a bit more, but whenever I put it down, I just hold the standby button to suspend it and save battery life. Even at work, when I sit it in its desk stand, I suspend it unless I'm actively waiting for a response.

My question is this: Why do some people choose to lock, rather than suspend?
    If phone is on standby and not locked, when a call or txt or email comes through does the phone "wake UP" or stay in standby mode. I always lock for the fear the phone might dial someone and they may hear my conversation.
    07-29-08 04:34 PM
    I holster my blackberry usually which is kinda like standby . You should add holster as an option.
    07-29-08 04:40 PM
    I got used to press standby.
    07-29-08 05:22 PM
    If phone is on standby and not locked, when a call or txt or email comes through does the phone "wake UP" or stay in standby mode. I always lock for the fear the phone might dial someone and they may hear my conversation.
    When in standby mode, a text or email will alert you with whatever your "in holster" setting is for your active profile. The screen stays dark and the red LED starts its flashing.

When phone calls come in, the screen lights up, showing you the standard screen you see when somebody is calling. If you don't answer, your phone will go back into standby mode after the ringing stops.

When it's in standby, the keys are locked as well - no chance of accidental dialing. The only way to wake it up is to push the mute button on top again (or take it out of the holster if that's how you roll).
    07-29-08 05:26 PM
    I keep my phone in my pocket, so the phone must be locked. I can't even think of how many times it's been unlocked and called somebody...lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-08 05:31 PM
    Thank you, Sausage King. You covered my responses nicely.

Kosai, I will consider "holster" in the "standby" camp, assuming your holster is a sleeper...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-08 05:46 PM
    Very rarely lock. If I'm out and about, like a restaurant or pub, I might lock it. For the most part, standby is it.
    Couldn't of said it better, i do the same myself...
    07-29-08 06:16 PM
    Ok, so how do you know if your Holster is a sleeper?
    07-29-08 06:19 PM
    Ok, so how do you know if your Holster is a sleeper?
    If you put your BB in the holster and the screen shuts off
    it is a sleeper
    07-29-08 06:27 PM
    For me, its normally stand-by mode. I have to admit that I've never locked it; not even once. I think it's mainly b/c I am the only one in my surroundings that has a red Curve and I dont think anyone is dumb enuf to f^ with me.
    07-29-08 06:50 PM
    I dont think anyone is dumb enuf to f^ with me.
    I certainly would not be
    07-29-08 06:52 PM
    I certainly would not be
    For the cash I put out, my phones are not for someone else's viewing pleasure. If you need to see, fondle, become awe struck or steal, go to the nearest store and do so!
    07-29-08 07:06 PM
    I use autostandby, if my phone is inactive for 35 seconds it goes into standby. No need for keyboard lock at all
    07-29-08 07:14 PM
    Holster puts it to sleep or after half hour it locks. I have a (almost 2 year old) daughter that likes to play with mine so I bought her a dunny phone but she still prefers mine sometimes cause it lights up. Password protected (8 characters and 5 tries)
    07-29-08 07:15 PM
    I use autostandby, if my phone is inactive for 35 seconds it goes into standby. No need for keyboard lock at all
    After reading this, I went ahead and bought the app.
    07-30-08 04:15 AM
    I set my BB so the convenience key locks it
    07-30-08 12:55 PM
    does anyone ever do both or am I just nuts?
    08-28-08 10:16 AM
    I leave it in standby mode, most of the time i'm actively using my bb and i do not want to go trough locking/unlocking locking/unlocking.
    08-28-08 10:35 AM
    When first reading the OP's post, I felt he meant lock (without a password) over standby. Either way, they both suck for the fact that incoming calls can still be answered with both lock/sleep.

I usually try to do the sleep. I like it for quick access. Since it's on my company's BES, it automatically has to lock w/ a password.
    08-28-08 10:43 AM
    When in standby mode, a text or email will alert you with whatever your "in holster" setting is for your active profile. The screen stays dark and the red LED starts its flashing.
    Negative. I tested this yesterday. If you put the phone in Standby by pressing the mute button on top it still uses your Out of Holster settings, not the In Holster ones.
    08-28-08 11:16 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD