I was just recently in my local Walmart Superstore just 20 minutes from Blackberry's home, Waterloo Ontario. The nice Blackberry display centre was empty. I asked the employee if they had any blackberry phones available and she stated "We aren't selling blackberry anymore due to poor sales. We sent all of our stock back to where they came from."

I was just wondering if this was the case at any other Walmart's in the same area. Pretty sad, and just thought I'd share to see if others were coming across the same issue?

RayRay
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-24-14 10:17 PM
    Stocked and loaded here but alas, this story has been repeated numerous times now. Just change the retailer and it's essentially the same story across the board. Sucks but it's no surprise and it's expected at this point. No way directed at you personally OP, but these stories grow old and they're not going to change any time soon.
    03-24-14 11:16 PM
    Yeah, my local Wally World also took down the BlackBerry display. Although, they didn't stop selling them. They just took down the working model of Z10 which was only installed a few months ago. It was stolen once already. They now have the Q10 and Q5 displayed with a bunch of Android phones. I really wish they put the Z10 back. It's sad to see KW area not so enthusiastic about BB anymore. I'm in Toronto's west end by the way. I still see BlackBerry being displayed and sold, but it is a tough market.
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-24-14 11:17 PM
    In Oshawa Ontario, I was told about a month ago that they sent the Z10 and 010's back and would only carry the Q5 moving forward. Yet I noticed that they had a couple of brand new Pearls under the counter and still asking full pop for them, go figure

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-24-14 11:31 PM
    I was in the Bowmanville store last weekend - actually looking for a Q5 dummy device to get my wife to try out the feel of the keyboard. . . no luck. Just the Z10 and Q10 display (non-working models).
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-25-14 09:03 AM
    . Yet I noticed that they had a couple of brand new Pearls under the counter and still asking full pop for them, go figure
    No mystery, surely?

The legacy BB handsets are still steady sellers and I suspect the people who come into the store for a Pearl will leave with nothing else but the Pearl and are happy to pay full price. The phone sells itself (to the right type of buyer).

If I managed a store, I'd stock the legacy handsets too.

Not sure I'd waste expensive shelf space on BB10 handsets though when there much better sellers to pay my rent. It's business.
    giancolap likes this.
    03-25-14 11:29 AM
    No mystery, surely?

The legacy BB handsets are still steady sellers and I suspect the people who come into the store for a Pearl will leave with nothing else but the Pearl and are happy to pay full price. The phone sells itself (to the right type of buyer).

If I managed a store, I'd stock the legacy handsets too.

Not sure I'd waste expensive shelf space on BB10 handsets though when there much better sellers to pay my rent. It's business.
    There are much newer legacy BlackBerry devices than the Pearl though. Didn't the last Pearl come out in early 2010? Did it ever even run BBOS 7?

I'd at least stock Bold 9900s and Torch 9810s if I still sold legacy bb's.

I mean, the browser performance pre-OS7 is almost unusable today, while my 9810 still does pretty well.

Posted via CB10
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-25-14 03:45 PM
    The Walmart wireless in Ontario (majority of them) have been taken over by a third party to handle the selling of plans and devices.

I spoke with someone and they had said Walmart had received return authorizations for the BlackBerry devices because they weren't selling at the locations.

Not a lot of people actually go to their local Walmart to activate plans or at least it's not their first place of choice.

So yes it is true that Walmart has stopped carrying BlackBerry devices. Unless it's the paygo curves.

Posted via CB10
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-25-14 08:21 PM
    same thing with me very disappointing

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 08:27 PM
    Was at a Verizon store in Peoria IL last week and Z10, Z30 and Q10 were prominently displayed. I refuse to set foot in a Walmart store due to my own personal convictions and this just gives me another reason.
    03-25-14 08:33 PM
    My Wallyworld never had a display in the 13 months I've worked there-except for a 9300 on Straight Talk. All the sales are done from the Web site if you want a BlackBerry.

Post by 9of13's Q
    03-25-14 08:33 PM
    Was in a local walmart tonight and they still had the display out. That being said, they removed the live devices from the display months ago and replaced them with dummy units.
    03-25-14 08:51 PM
    I think even those few who can find devices in brick & mortar store, if rational, have come to realize that you basically have to order them online.
    Sometimes attaining what you believe is best for you and your needs is a very difficult process. For most anything I can think of.
    No way around it for now or the near future. But, if BlackBerry creates the demand, believe me, retailers will have them stocked to the ceilings.
    03-25-14 09:06 PM
    Fwiw, I would expect lower sales in Waterloo area where many can get devices directly from RIM with employee discounts.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 09:15 PM
    Do people actually buy phones at Walmart anyways?

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-25-14 10:11 PM
    The Walmart wireless in Ontario (majority of them) have been taken over by a third party to handle the selling of plans and devices.

I spoke with someone and they had said Walmart had received return authorizations for the BlackBerry devices because they weren't selling at the locations.

Not a lot of people actually go to their local Walmart to activate plans or at least it's not their first place of choice.

So yes it is true that Walmart has stopped carrying BlackBerry devices. Unless it's the paygo curves.

Posted via CB10
    This is probably the true reason, a third party taking over the kiosks.

The third party in the Canadian Costco stores also dropped Blackberry. I was told there is only so much shelf space. At about the same time the Sony phones suddenly appeared. Perhaps the manufacturers have to pay a fee to third party stores to get retail space?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:15 PM
    Man, you guys are lucky to even have had to chance to ever see a "BlackBerry display".

Here in the real US (outside of NYC)... you'll have better luck finding Sasquatch.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:31 PM
    Do people actually buy phones at Walmart anyways?

Posted via CB10
    If they didn't, walmart wouldn't bother selling phones. They don't mess around with anything that doesn't sell well.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    JeepBB and troubl3dman like this.
    03-25-14 10:33 PM
    I would buy a pet susquatch rather than a pearl anyday. Had a loaner pearl for a day and hated two letters on the same key. Drove me up a wall after 10 minutes and took it back and used my old 8300 even without wifi!

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 10:42 PM
    Hey at least they told you how it was. Not the "BlackBerry is bankrupt" thing.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC and troubl3dman like this.
    03-26-14 04:06 AM
    Just change the retailer and it's essentially the same story across the board. Sucks but it's no surprise and it's expected at this point.
    Yup, that's what happens when BlackBerry creates near zero demand for the product.

A great deal of damage was done in consumer last year. It's apparent John Chen believes a recovery effort is simply not worthwhile.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 03-26-14 at 07:16 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-14 06:15 AM
    Did you ask them?

? Slicing using my ?
    03-26-14 09:57 AM
    This is probably the true reason, a third party taking over the kiosks.

The third party in the Canadian Costco stores also dropped Blackberry. I was told there is only so much shelf space. At about the same time the Sony phones suddenly appeared. Perhaps the manufacturers have to pay a fee to third party stores to get retail space?

Posted via CB10
    The third party that took over the Walmart wireless kiosk still has to abide by what Walmart wants.

All the purchasing of devices are still done by Walmart and not the third party. That's why if you walk into a Walmart wireless kiosk, they won't ever carry a Note 3. Walmart deemed the Note 3 to be too business oriented to be a personal device that Walmart had decided to focus on. A lot of the devices you'll encounter are iPhones (4 to 5S depending on the carrier) Androids (entry/mid range HTC to S3-S4). They don't carry the HTC One, the LGs or any Sony phones. Very limited to what they carry.

The kiosks will still have the displays of the Blackberry's but they won't have any devices in stock. The last devices were returned I believe mid January. This was handled by Walmart.

Kinda sad if you ask me. But I wouldn't recommend buying there anyways. Especially in the York Region area. They are all focused on pushing numbers and not what is best for their customers.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 01:24 PM
    The third party that took over the Walmart wireless kiosk still has to abide by what Walmart wants.

All the purchasing of devices are still done by Walmart and not the third party. That's why if you walk into a Walmart wireless kiosk, they won't ever carry a Note 3. Walmart deemed the Note 3 to be too business oriented to be a personal device that Walmart had decided to focus on. A lot of the devices you'll encounter are iPhones (4 to 5S depending on the carrier) Androids (entry/mid range HTC to S3-S4). They don't carry the HTC One, the LGs or any Sony phones. Very limited to what they carry.

The kiosks will still have the displays of the Blackberry's but they won't have any devices in stock. The last devices were returned I believe mid January. This was handled by Walmart.

Kinda sad if you ask me. But I wouldn't recommend buying there anyways. Especially in the York Region area. They are all focused on pushing numbers and not what is best for their customers.

Posted via CB10
    The Walmart I work in still displays the Note, HTC One, and LG phones. Not sure about the Sony line. It can usually depend on the Store Manager.

Post by 9of13's Q
    03-26-14 01:43 PM
    Which store do you work at?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 02:08 PM
28 12