I've been a loyal Blackberry user for close to four years. I started with an 8310, went to an 8330, then made the jump to a Storm2 9550. I've defended RIM's poor unresponsiveness to the changing market as being dependable and focused on a long-term vision. I can't do it anymore. I depend on my Storm2 as my primary home phone (I live in the middle of nowhere, where it's really the best and most cost-effective option for my family). It crashes at least four times a day. Between my work in law enforcement and raising four kids, I HAVE to have a more dependable device. I've even tried exchanging it, only to find the same problems over and again.

Sadly, RIM has abandoned any sort of long-term strategy as far as the individual or professional phone consumer in favor of trying to one-up Apple every step of the way. After trying to address my problems in several areas, I've found that they just don't care anymore. My phone has to work when I need it. It has to be supported by its manufacturer, even when a new toy is in the works. I've put it off, but I guess it's time to pick up a Droid Incredible and test those waters.

Goodby RIM. If you come back to the customers, I'll probably be right back.
    12-27-10 10:13 PM
    Uh oh. This should be interesting.........
    12-27-10 10:17 PM
    I know, I know. It's a site of Crackberry enthusiasts. I'm one of them. Sadly, what I need/want isn't what's being offered. I guess my one hope in putting this out to the world is that someone in a decision-making role will consider this food for thought, because I really do want to love my Blackberry again.
    12-27-10 10:29 PM
    So you buying an ifone?anroyd?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 10:30 PM
    Looks like I can do a free upgrade to a Droid Incredible. Seems like that may offer what I need from a smartphone.
    12-27-10 10:33 PM
    I too have defended Blackberry over the last two years that I've had one but enough was enough. As soon as the Galaxy S dropped for Verizon, I jumped ship and I haven't looked back. The only thing I miss about Blackberry is the keyboard (8530 being my last device) and Crackberry.com. Is the droid phones perfect? Of course not but so far since Sept of this year, my Fasicinate has not given me any stress what so ever. I'm totally happy which I couldn't say with Blackberry despite lying to myself and others how great it is. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by decolur455; 12-27-10 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
    12-27-10 10:40 PM
    I too have defended Blackberry over the last two years that I've had one but enough was enough. As soon as the Galaxy S dropped for Verizon, I jumped ship and I haven't looked back. The only thing I miss about Blackberry is the keyboard (8530 being my last device) and Crackberry.com. Is the droid phones perfect? Of course not but so far since Sept of this year, my Fasicinate has not given me any stress what so ever. I'm totally happy which I couldn't say with Blackberry despite lying to myself and others how great it is. Good luck with your decision.
    I feel like the commitment to customers changed about the time RIM went to touchscreens and 3G. If my Storm2 had the quality of build and OS that my 8330 did, I'd be ecstatic.

12-27-10 10:46 PM
    I've been a loyal Blackberry user for close to four years. I started with an 8310, went to an 8330, then made the jump to a Storm2 9550. I've defended RIM's poor unresponsiveness to the changing market as being dependable and focused on a long-term vision. I can't do it anymore. I depend on my Storm2 as my primary home phone (I live in the middle of nowhere, where it's really the best and most cost-effective option for my family). It crashes at least four times a day. Between my work in law enforcement and raising four kids, I HAVE to have a more dependable device. I've even tried exchanging it, only to find the same problems over and again.
    Well, RIM does have some better devices than the Storm series, but of course no other touchscreens on Verizon. I left after an 8330 and 9630 when they failed to have any significant upgrades to meet market demand.

Sadly, RIM has abandoned any sort of long-term strategy as far as the individual or professional phone consumer in favor of trying to one-up Apple every step of the way. After trying to address my problems in several areas, I've found that they just don't care anymore.
    What are you talking about here? Their strategy has never been to one up Apple. At least if it was their strategy it failed miserably every step of the way. They've focused on their hardcore business users and fanatics and cast off everyone who wants a feature-rich high performance device.

My phone has to work when I need it. It has to be supported by its manufacturer, even when a new toy is in the works. I've put it off, but I guess it's time to pick up a Droid Incredible and test those waters.

Goodby RIM. If you come back to the customers, I'll probably be right back.
    Good luck with whatever device you choose. I know I'm not going back to RIM from my Droid 2 anytime soon. If the future brings new exciting BB's with a bit more of a nod toward consumer use and cutting edge hardware, it might be enough to lure me back.
    12-27-10 11:07 PM
    Well thanks for that. Good luck with droid. We will see you soon!
    Gloglo likes this.
    12-28-10 08:52 AM
    I sure hope so.
    12-28-10 08:53 AM
    I feel like the commitment to customers changed about the time RIM went to touchscreens and 3G. If my Storm2 had the quality of build and OS that my 8330 did, I'd be ecstatic.

In this day and age, how could you have expected RIM to ignore touchscreen technology?? Do you want RIM to be completely anachronistic?
    12-28-10 08:57 AM
    Have fun on your vacation. You'll come back home.
    12-28-10 09:00 AM
    I didn't expect them to ignore the technology. I expected them to provide the solid tech and OS I had come to expect with their previous offerings.
    12-28-10 09:00 AM
    CASH, I truly hope you're right.
    12-28-10 09:01 AM
    To begin with the storm versions of anything is a serious fail. Rim should be ashamed of releasing such a horrendous device. Secondly your on Verizon who is pushing android and not even carrying any newer BB's. Don't blame RIM for what your carrier is doing.
    12-28-10 09:32 AM
    To begin with the storm versions of anything is a serious fail. Rim should be ashamed of releasing such a horrendous device. Secondly your on Verizon who is pushing android and not even carrying any newer BB's. Don't blame RIM for what your carrier is doing.
    Actually, I "blame" RIM for this.
    12-28-10 09:34 AM
    I blame RIM for failing to support or even work to improve a device they put on the market. Its consistent failure is due to OS and hardware problems. That responsibility lies squarely in Waterloo, ON.
    12-28-10 09:37 AM
    I made that same transition. Started with an 8830WE four years ago. Moved to a 9630. When my carrier offered a free upgrade this holiday season, I took advantage of it to move to a Galaxy S. Besides the learning curve, it was a pretty smooth transition.

Things I miss about my BlackBerry:
    • BBM. Yes, I use other IM apps, but there was something about BBM that made it different, and BBM Groups.
    • Battery Life. It may be the fact that the Mesmerize is new to me, or that I am playing with it so much more, but the battery life is nowhere near what my Tour has.
    • Autotext. I was really good at short-typing things. I had autotexts set up for so many words, I cud typ thngs out nd nt nd to type evry letter.
    • Apps. There were some apps (like Berry Weather and SocialScope) that were very well designed. They really added to the BB experience. There are a ton of apps for Android, but you have to wade through them to find the good ones.

Things I like about Android
    • Apps. There is pretty much an app for everything, and 100s of the same app for others. Some are really bad, others okay. You just have to wade through them all to find the ones you like.
    • Storage. With 2GB internal memory on my Mesmerize, I already have twice as many apps than I had on my Tour, with plenty of space to go.
    • Swype. In only having Android for two weeks, I've pretty much mastered Swype. I can almost type as fast as I did with my Tour. I thought it was going to be difficult to get rid of a physical keyboard, but the move to Swype was better than I expected (but that's just me).
    • Customization. I can change clocks, looks, backgrounds, widgets, and screens without needing to load up a new theme.

I don't think Android is better than BlackBerry, or vice-versa. They are just different. It has more to do with how you use the device, and what you adapt to. I could easily switch back to a BlackBerry. If there was something more of a jump from Tour to Bold, I just might have stayed. For now, it was well worth trying different waters.
    12-28-10 09:53 AM
    the Incredible IS an INCREDIBLE phone, but it also has an incredibly horrible battery. if you dont want to charge your phone in your police cruiser all day then dont buy it. Why not just wait untill january for CES when all the new devices are announced. I have had the same gripes as you! but verizon LTE has given me hope. The new network, that is the same band as AT&T, promises unlimited possibilities. A new torch on verizon? maybe even the bold 9780 that I love. give it another month, you wont die untill then
    12-28-10 10:57 AM
    Geoff, it's a coincidence that you say that.

The last straw for me was when my toddler ate shamrock and my Storm2 crashed as I dialed poison control. Sometimes, waiting eight minutes while my phone tries to unf@*k itself is not acceptable.

12-28-10 11:12 AM
    Sorry you have had such bad luck with your Storm2...I know the 1st one was fail, but 2nd one was an improvement.

I too would be looking for an escape if I went through many phones, especially the same one and the same problems arose...

With me, nothing has been better than my 9700, even though I like the speed and look of Android, I am still a BB fanatic...hoping they keep me in the future as these new devices for certain intrigue me.

Good luck with your new device. Just remember the Incredible don't get really good battery life. Might play into your work life.

12-28-10 09:15 PM
    Good luck with the Incredible. It's a good phone...had it...but you might want to pick up the slim extended battery from Seidio.
    12-28-10 09:18 PM
    Looks like I can do a free upgrade to a Droid Incredible. Seems like that may offer what I need from a smartphone.
    Make sure you buy an extended battery, the battery life on the Incredible is pretty horrible. The Droid X is the best Android device on VZW when it comes to battery life, signal strength and call quality (IMO the best overall Android device on VZW).
    12-28-10 09:38 PM
    Geoff, it's a coincidence that you say that.

The last straw for me was when my toddler ate shamrock and my Storm2 crashed as I dialed poison control. Sometimes, waiting eight minutes while my phone tries to unf@*k itself is not acceptable.

I'm also sorry to hear about this...I've had a storm 2 for a year now and had only one crash since and that was with the .320 Os...ever since I installed .607 its been flawless. I run a business and use my device pretty heavy and rely on its performance. Its been great and has never let me down.

Are you running an official Os? I personally think when you try to run unofficial or hybrids, unless your a total tech geek, you're asking for trouble. Also, do you close out all of your apps when done or do you leave them running in the backround? There are a lot of things you could be doing to help eliminate these problems.

12-28-10 09:41 PM
    To the OP, I'm in da same line of work as you and I wanted a phone and network I could absolutely depend on, especially if that phone was my only life line. I had a 9630 and loved it for the keyboard and the e-mail abilities. It was my first smart phone so I got used to the blackberry OS.

Well, I messed with ATT and the iPhone for a few months and absolutely loved the phone but couldn't depend on the network for diddely-squat. Although when I was in a good area it was good. I was worried about losing the internet and apps when I dumped the iPhone and decided to go with the Droid Incredible when I stayed with Verizon.

Only a couple weeks into it, I admit I miss the iPhone, especially because I use a Macbook and it synced seamlessly. I can't figure out how to sync my Droid with the Mac but I'm working on it. Other than that the incredibles great.

Just like with any tactics or other equipment, you gotta go with what works for you best and if it's an Android OS or an Android phone, then so be it. Oh, and properly managed, the battery life on the incredible is not as bad as they say it is. I get through a whole day with on a charge using it, texting, facebooking and getting my work emails.

PS, your sig line rocks. I totally get it.
    12-28-10 11:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD