Please forgive my ignorance but I have a couple questions (and I hope I am in the right forum)

First, I am starting to get confused with the OS release thing...this is not the same 4.5 as the desktop manager version 4.5 right? Its 2 seperate things right? I thought I had all this stuff figured out but Im starting to doubt myself.

Also, when you DO dl a new OS does it wipe out all your applications and messages and email settings and all? And if so would you do a backup to load them back or would that load back the old OS?

OK, I think thats all for right now. I know Ive been hearing ATT (my carrier) is dure to release this any moment so I am trying to get my ducks in a row before I do anything Thanks in advance
    06-25-08 03:05 PM
    Hi

There is a 4.5 OS (operating system) and a 4.5 DM (desktop manager). Two separate things.

For your messages, addresses etc you use the desktop manager to do a back up then restore when upgrade has finished.

You then resend your service books to get your email etc going again.

There is a process for backing up applications but you can in some cases just redownload them.
    06-25-08 03:23 PM
    thanks so much for your quick response. Do you know where I can find the correct steps to backup apps? I have a ton of themes on there that I dont know if I could locate again if I had to..haha
    06-25-08 03:36 PM
    I am not 100% sure because I try not to use custom themes (to save memory)... but I *think* they are backed up and restored when you do the OS upgrade.

(corrections welcome if I am wrong)!

And, yes, there is a Desktop Manager v4.5 and the BB OS 4.5.xxx

*EDIT* And welcome to CrackBerry!!
    06-25-08 03:39 PM
    ok, I was thinking that too. As far as like Yahoo IM and apps like that I dont have a problem re-downloading, but as far as my themes go I would cry and cry if I lost them...lol. Thank you both for your help. I cant wait for 4.5
    06-25-08 03:54 PM
    Hi

There is a 4.5 OS (operating system) and a 4.5 DM (desktop manager). Two separate things.

For your messages, addresses etc you use the desktop manager to do a back up then restore when upgrade has finished.

You then resend your service books to get your email etc going again.

There is a process for backing up applications but you can in some cases just redownload them.
    What happends to your email if you can't resend your service books?
    I can't do that, I was never able to register my Device online.
    When I tried the website told me that I was to do it on my handheld.
    So what happends to the email?
    06-25-08 03:56 PM
    do you have a data plan?
    06-25-08 04:03 PM
    Yes, I have a data plan.
    06-25-08 04:06 PM
    What happends to your email if you can't resend your service books?
    I can't do that, I was never able to register my Device online.
    When I tried the website told me that I was to do it on my handheld.
    So what happends to the email?
    Sometimes for the first time you set up email you have to do it on the handheld but once done you can use the BIS webpage. Try it now using the same user name and password.

Failing that your carrier can resend the service books.

For Felicity:- How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

Just bear in mind that not all themes/apps will be compatible with your new OS.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 06-25-08 at 04:13 PM.
    06-25-08 04:09 PM
    yeah I was going to tell you that I had some problems with mine a while back and couldnt get them to send, so I went to data chat with ATT and the guy sent them for me and theyve been just fine ever since
    06-25-08 04:13 PM
    oh, and thanks again Hazysky
    06-25-08 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD