Ok, I have searched and searched and searched the forums, but can't seem to find a list of wtf the BB acronyms mean. Found a list of internet/general forum/IMing/etc. ones (in four different forums) but NOT a comprehensive list of BB ones. I have managed to discover OWA, BBSAK, BIS & BES (that took three different sets of search results, and I had never before encountered OWA). It is REALLY difficult for a newbie (to BlackBerries) to understand a lot of the posts. And some of the software. For example, I've seen lots of discussions of BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife), but nowhere can I find what JAD and COD mean. I saw one thread about BBSAK where someone asked how to use the program, and they got blown off because it's so easy. Yeah, I can see that the UI is simple--but how can I do anything with "Modify CODs" or "JAD Maker" if I don't know what they are? (Yes, I surfed around the RIMGeeks site, but couldn't find a concise list there, either). Differences between MMS/SMS/PIN messages? SPC? SIP? PTT? DM?

See what I mean?

Please someone--take pity and HELP!!!
    04-14-10 05:48 AM
    I know this isn't the short dictionary answer you asked for, but until somebody gets around to creating a list, the tutorials in the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series are a great way to get familiarity with just about all the acronyms you listed. You can find the tutorials under the Help Button at the top of the page. Welcome to CrackBerry.
    04-14-10 06:06 AM
    GAH!!!! There's like a bazillion of those things... (She slinks off with her tail between her legs, goes into a corner and cries...)

Oh yes--thanks for trying!
    04-14-10 06:16 AM
    Either way, you're gong to have to take some time to read and learn. JeffH also gave a you a very good beginners guide to read.

BlackBerry Glossary - BlackBerryFAQ

The BlackBerry Glossary - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 06:50 AM
    Gloriosky! Thank you! I don't mind taking time to read and learn, but fruitlessly and endlessly typing variations on a search term into search engines bugs me. (And I am VERY embarrassed that I didn't think to google--just looked here a lot and in the BlackBerry forums a little. Obviously, I need a thesaurus, since I didn't think of the word "glossary.")

Thank you both!
    04-14-10 07:00 AM
    Unless your going to create your own hybrid operating systems or develop your own software apps you don't need to know the definitions for file extensions to get the most out of your BB. If you haven't read your bb's help file more than 20 times and learned something new you really should start there.

04-14-10 07:03 AM
    You're welcome and no problem. You're thread title is helpful as users will be able to search within CrackBerry for the lists now.

04-14-10 07:04 AM
    Unless your going to create your own hybrid operating systems or develop your own software apps you don't need to know the definitions for file extensions to get the most out of your BB. If you haven't read your bb's help file more than 20 times and learned something new you really should start there.

And I would know which are file extensions and which are actual acronyms how, exactly? I keep TRYING to find anything helpful in the help files, but not much luck so far with issues that I've come across.
    You're welcome and no problem. You're thread title is helpful as users will be able to search within CrackBerry for the lists now.

I REALLY like helpful thread titles!!!
    04-14-10 07:31 AM
    And I would know which are file extensions and which are actual acronyms how, exactly? I keep TRYING to find anything helpful in the help files, but not much luck so far with issues that I've come across.
    JAD and COD are file extentions for the BlackBerry. JAD is the one that can be downloaded directly from the BlackBerry (also called Over the Air (OTA)) and COD is one type that can be loaded with Destop Manager (DM). Unless you're making a program or theme or trying to modify your phone's operating system (OS), things like "JAD maker" and "modify CODs" wouldn't really be that necessary to use in BBSAK.

From your first post as well.
    MMS -- picture messaging (up to 1000 characters and pictures) (MMS means Multimedia Messaging Service)
    SMS -- text messaging (160 characters per message) (SMS is Short Message Service)
    PIN messaging -- each BlackBerry comes with a unique PIN. This can be given to other BlackBerry users and used for messaging that is free through your data plan. They can either be sent directly to one another (PIN messaging) similar to an e-mail or text message with unlimited characters, or added as a contact to BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and used to communicate that way like an instant messenger (like your AIM, Yahoo IM, MSN, what have you).
    Last edited by cdowner; 04-14-10 at 08:03 AM.
    04-14-10 07:52 AM
    I'll throw a few more definitions onto your original acronym list:
    PTT -- Push To Talk, push a button on your phone and automagically call another person. Nextel started this with their "Direct Connect" feature, and for a while it was their competitive difference, but since Sprint acquired (and screwed over) Nextel it is less useful. There were a couple Nextel PTT BlackBeries, but I'm not sure what the current status. Verizon is implementing a version of PTT I'm not sure if that includes and Blackberries

DM -- BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The thing you install on your PC that enables you to synchronize your Blackberry do backup/restore and a few other things
    04-14-10 09:07 AM
    I can appreciate your frustration.

I have a lifetime of experience in Information Technology (IT), and make a point of detailing what I am talking about, the first time I use an acronym.

That is particularly important when a technically qualified IT person is attempting to communicate with clients that are not immersed in the technology. That was part of our quarterly review process, techs that failed to communicate with our clients are a liability.

All techs were trained to ISO 9001 certification standards. Some did not qualify for the full bonus package.
    04-14-10 11:42 AM
    There is nothing to be frustrated about. Just accept the fact of the life and the meanibng of the term "learning". If you are new to something, you need to learn about it. For example, if you are new to Baseball (like coming from a country that does not have baseball), then you need to learn terms like homerun, strike, ball, sacrifice fly, bunt, curve/fast ball, BB, steroid, etc. If you are new to BB (or smart phones), you just put the effort to learn. Luckily, there are so many sources (more than you need) to learn: Google, BB forums, Wikipedia, Books for Dummys, etc.

Happy learning.
    04-14-10 05:14 PM
    Just to make it clear, filename extensions have no useful significance except they *might* indicate a particular type of file. Some (like .exe = executable) have some meaning, others are an arbitrary selection someone thought might be unique, or they named it after their firstborn.
    04-14-10 05:30 PM
    Just to make it clear, filename extensions have no useful significance except they *might* indicate a particular type of file. Some (like .exe = executable) have some meaning, others are an arbitrary selection someone thought might be unique, or they named it after their firstborn.
    So true... If I ever come up with an extension of my own, it's going to be .bacon . Just because I can
    04-14-10 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD