The letter A sometimes doesn't work on my key pad.Ive used a compressed gas duster it doesn't seem to help. Its like it stops working at random, I can press it the second time and most of the time it will work. Can anybody help me out?
    12-15-08 12:15 PM
    The letter A sometimes doesn't work on my key pad.Ive used a compressed gas duster it doesn't seem to help. Its like it stops working at random, I can press it the second time and most of the time it will work. Can anybody help me out?
    Other than taking the BB apart and checking the keypad underlay, I don't see what else you can do. I always suggest the compressed air, but I see you've already done this.
    12-15-08 12:17 PM
    Got the same thing going on with my X/8 key. Started a few days ago. If I pushed it harder than usual it would work. Then that even stopped. Then I found that if I push it 20 times it'll start working. I took it all apart and cleaned the entire keyboard area above and below and it still behaves like this. Battery pull doesn't fix it. Running OS v4.5.0.97 on VZW 8330
    12-15-08 01:19 PM
    Same thing here. My letter "T" doesn't work though. I noticed if I push it to the right it works about 50% of the time. Anyone with a fix?
    10-07-09 12:52 PM
    I know how to fix this one, but it's not for the feint of heart.

So I guess you're all familiar with taking your Curves apart then?
    Start with that, and make sure you're in a well lit clean area with space to work. Also, make sure you're clean, and I recommend a shower cap or hairnet too. Seriously.
    When you get down to the main board take a look carefully at where the keyboard goes.
    You'll notice a large white sticker that covers the entire keyboard area. That's the keyboard switches. The underside of the sticker is lined with little metal domes that make contact with the main board underneath when you press down on them. This completes the circuit and sends a keystroke to the Berry's "brain".

Odds are you've managed to damage or corrode either the dome or the contacts underneath for the non-functional buttons.
    Here's where it gets scary. You need to gently remove the keyboard sticker without damaging it, clean the domes and the contacts, and stick it back down.
    It's slow, delicate and not fun, but it CAN be done.

I recommend a good contact cleaner, or even good old fashioned Isopropyl Alcohol, just DON'T use any oil based cleaners.

For the record I've never done this on a BlackBerry, but I have done it on several other electronic devices, including my old Palm-based Sony Clie and several phones.
    10-07-09 03:28 PM
    smnc: This may be a little unrelated but I am having the same key trouble on my Sony Vaio laptop, lol. It's not just one but mutliple keys that do not work unless you hit them really, really hard.

Do you happen to know if laptops in general have the same mechanics? Generally speaking, of course? This is beyond warranty so if I have the choice to either screw it open to fit in a new keyboard that comes at $200, or to screw it open and clean it, I'd rather choose the latter.

My apologies if this is not at all related. I just thought I'd give it a shot
    10-07-09 07:18 PM
    Hi crackbobb,
    I deal with laptops ALL the time. They're actually my specialty
    Laptops don't use the same design as handhelds, but they do use the same concept.

Generally they are MUCH harder to take apart, as they have multiple moving parts and many small pieces.

My basic advice is always to try blowing compressed air under and around the keys first. Other than that it, it gets a little more specific, depending on the type of keyboard.
    Sonys are notorious for having several different types of keyboards to deal with.

PM me your specific model and I'll be able to give you specific advice and help
    10-07-09 09:31 PM
    ^ Ha, that sounds great Thank you!
    10-08-09 12:53 PM
    We had a similar problem and had to send the BB to bbrepairshop.com, they found dirt and sonically cleaned the device, all for around $50.00. I recommend them, i believe they are in texas.
    10-08-09 01:01 PM
    Hi crackbobb,
    I deal with laptops ALL the time. They're actually my specialty
    Laptops don't use the same design as handhelds, but they do use the same concept.

Generally they are MUCH harder to take apart, as they have multiple moving parts and many small pieces.

My basic advice is always to try blowing compressed air under and around the keys first. Other than that it, it gets a little more specific, depending on the type of keyboard.
    Sonys are notorious for having several different types of keyboards to deal with.

PM me your specific model and I'll be able to give you specific advice and help
    Hello!

I just came across your post about laptops and thought I'd ask. I have a 2007 Dell Inspiron 1521, and for some reason, the "A" key stopped working today. I tried pressing down harder as well as taking the keycap off to clean the inside, but no luck. I also called Dell support and they suggested I replace my keyboard, but I decided not to because I still want to see if there is just a way to get only the "A" key fixed since all the other keys are still intact.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could fix this or what the problem may be? Do you think it may have something to do with my laptop internally (such as a virus or something wrong with my computer system) or just the keyboard itself?

Thank you so much for your time! Definitely appreciate it.
    11-10-09 02:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD