Meanwhile, at your local ICE installation, the government has started rolling out iPhone to government employees. Not to contractors.
    Air cards are being taken away.
    Totally locked down. No app store.
    Just like BES BlackBerry devices.

Posted from my amazing Z10 via CB10
    bp3dots likes this.
    06-18-13 11:08 AM
    There isn't an answer to stanwest31's question anywhere in this post. Just an FYI.
    Big surprise

Sent from my SGH-I337M using CB Forums mobile app
    06-18-13 11:28 AM
    BlackBerry is far from being a competitor again with Apple, let alone Android.
    06-18-13 11:28 AM
    your missing the point, user habits change, so of course they have to start to add gestures and stuff.

imagine if your car was still a 3 speed auto with overdrive rather than the 7 speed autos on the market today, youd laugh and not buy it. Companies have to move with both the times, the technological trends and also whats actually possible with hardware, as of course phones are becoming much more powerful than ever before, so much more is possible.
    If BlackBerry did this in the first place they wouldn't be where they are today. Great point.
    06-18-13 11:40 AM
    I detailed this a while back and the Android jihad went BALLISTIC. They demanded that I produce every title I'd encountered, then they demanded I post source code.

Malware is a common problem on Android, just like it is on older versions of Windows. In both cases, the infected party often doesn't even know he has a problem -- he just knows his "phone runs hot" or "it's starting to use a lot of data."

Android's got some serious, serious security problems that its fanboys simply won't concede exist. They're touchy about the entire topic because it's a bit close to home, and claiming that it shouldn't be part of the discussion is a bit blinkered, especially in the wake of the Sky situation (which proved hackers could actually inject malware into "official approved apps" and update them out to devices).

It's only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong for a large bloc of users. Android's approach to security (especially app-wise) needs to change, fast.

In the mean time, if you want to have fun, run some anti-virus software on a friend's Android handset. If he's a heavy app user, it will find multiple instances of malware -- often distributed as "official apps" on Google Play -- that do things like keylogging, constant ad pop-ups, or even transforming the device into a node on a botnet for distributing ads or spam.
    Im not denying that the problem doesn't exist for Android users and I don't want u to think I'm intentionally trying to argue but I think some of ya'll are blowing the problem way out of proportion. My friends don't represent all android users but I still think you'd be hard pressed to find a android user that actually has had malware or some virus
    06-18-13 12:32 PM
    Malware is a common problem on Android, just like it is on older versions of Windows. In both cases, the infected party often doesn't even know he has a problem -- he just knows his "phone runs hot" or "it's starting to use a lot of data."

Android's got some serious, serious security problems that its fanboys simply won't concede exist.

It's only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong for a large bloc of users.

In the mean time, if you want to have fun, run some anti-virus software on a friend's Android handset. If he's a heavy app user, it will find multiple instances of malware -- often distributed as "official apps" on Google Play -- that do things like keylogging, constant ad pop-ups, or even transforming the device into a node on a botnet for distributing ads or spam.
    Look through the forums here and see how many times those running hot and unexplainable data have been asked/complained about. The cause is usually a poorly written app, not a malicious one, and thats the same on Android.

Nobody in this thread has denied that there is more risk on Android, however, you and 777 keep insisting that we have. Why? The point is, threats =/= affected users. And the fact is, affected users is a small issue, almost exclusively derived from questionable app sources. The one major play store app problem you mention was addressed quickly, and didn't harm anyone.

There's no reason to assume such, as both Android and iOS work on increasing security.

I've dealt with thousands of customers' handsets, and never once seen a piece of malware. I have seen bad apps, and botched root/roms. Conversely, I've removed hundreds or pieces of real malware from PC's.

Here's CIO article on Android as "King of Malware"...i know all the trolls would hate this but it's a fact.. .

Growing Mobile Malware Threat Swirls (mostly) Around Android - CIO.comPosted via CB10
    As I said, this has been addressed, but you keep trotting it out. Threats aren't the same as affected.

Because it was recently stated that it took second from Android in Canada so I don't see how it wouldn't for the US. I feel it'll get there.Posted via CB10
    Based on a source using one day as a data point. Your conclusions can only be as good as the information you have. No legit analyst would make that claim based on a single day's data. That is even noted in the forum you linked JH.

Well I just listed top 3..sure there could be more than that...on all the categories...Posted via CB10
    Another way to look at this is -

By Unit Sales - its Android Vs Windows/Nokia
    By profit Margins - It's Apple vs BlackBerry.

I thinks that's what OP meant.
    Nokia and Android want market share at expense of margins.
    Apple and BlackBerry want margins and that comes at expense of the market share. Posted via CB10
    Nokia's world share is not all smartphones. Big difference. And its convenient to "leave off" some huge names to only list the "top 3" But providing incomplete sources for your argument is cheating, for lack of a better word.

And Apple wants both market share and margins.

Actual large scale (and accepted) measures. comScore Reports April 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    m1a1mg and h20work like this.
    06-18-13 12:42 PM
    Since malware and viruses are so common on Android, can someone please direct me to a Android app that will do bad stuff to an Android phone?

I seriously would love for someone to supply me with some bad Android apps. I've looked, and its surprisingly difficult to find these allegedly common place malware apps. Here I want to find a malware Android app, yet I can't.

The only reason I have been looking for them is so I can convert the apk and see what happens if these malware apps are sideloaded to a BlackBerry 10 device.

I think it would be a interesting experiment.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    bp3dots, bekkay and Rello like this.
    06-18-13 12:50 PM
    What is that thread suppose to mean?

I am sure BlackBerry's marketshare is going up, but that still does not make them the number 2 competitor. For the quarter? Maybe. Overall? No.

The Q10 is selling well and I don't know about the Z10. I know a few other people with it that bought it because they liked mine, but I haven't seen anyone else with one. It is too soon to be calling them the number 2 competitor. They have only launched a few first gen BB10 devices.
    06-18-13 01:00 PM
    Since malware and viruses are so common on Android, can someone please direct me to a Android app that will do bad stuff to an Android phone?

I seriously would love for someone to supply me with some bad Android apps. I've looked, and its surprisingly difficult to find these allegedly common place malware apps. Here I want to find a malware Android app, yet I can't.

The only reason I have been looking for them is so I can convert the apk and see what happens if these malware apps are sideloaded to a BlackBerry 10 device.

I think it would be a interesting experiment.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Try here: Contagio mobile mini-dump

There's also http://groups.google.com/group/mobilemalware, but you have to join.
    Saiga likes this.
    06-18-13 01:06 PM
    Most people have already said what I was going to lol

I don't see how u can really blame developers and call them stubborn. If the platform isn't appealing to them and they feel they will make more on IOS and Android then how does that make them stubborn. If BB can't attract them then who loses more?
    The developers talking crap never used BB10. (Won't name names.) Plenty of develpers have used it. It's a perfectly good OS to build with. I don't believe people are defending their ignorance. I sure won't.
    06-18-13 01:47 PM
    The developers talking crap never used it BB10. (Won' name names.) Plenty of develpers have used it. It's a perfectly good OS to build with. I don't believe people are defending their ignorance.
    For developers, it isn't about what's good or bad; it's about what makes financial sense. A developer might think BB10 is a fine OS yet skip development because they don't see the revenue. If that's their position, you really can't counter it with "BB10 is a perfectly good OS."
    Saiga, bp3dots and Rello like this.
    06-18-13 01:53 PM
    The developers talking crap never used BB10. (Won't name names.) Plenty of develpers have used it. It's a perfectly good OS to build with. I don't believe people are defending their ignorance. I sure won't.
    Lots of things that were perfectly good or even superior have died off due to popularity of different platforms. Money is what matters, and right now, BB offers a lot less income potential than iOS and Android.
    Rello likes this.
    06-18-13 02:09 PM
    There isn't an answer to stanwest31's question anywhere in this post. Just an FYI.
    Brmiller will respond with blah blah blah for pages without answering a question lol smh
    06-18-13 02:21 PM
    You are missing why developers feel it's not a "perfectly good OS".....It's because the amount of users for bb10. How can you call a developer ignorant if they feel a platform does not have enough users to warrant their time and resources? Nobody owes blackberry anything. I think actually you are being the ignorant one.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    06-18-13 04:02 PM
    I mean no offense by this but can't one say you're being ignorant to the fact that most developers go where they can make money?

Like others above me said, it's not about BB having a perfectly good OS to build with. At this point IOS and Android have way too many users for most developers to ignore. Would I love to see more developers make apps for BB10? Of coarse!!! I don't have a BB10 device yet. Plan to get one soon but I know what if feels like to not have a huge selection of apps (word to OS7.1). Ultimately, if BB can't produce a OS that's attractive enough to bring more of the masses to it, then developers won't come. Many don't have the resources to dedicate to such a small player
    h20work likes this.
    06-18-13 05:44 PM
    I mean no offense by this but can't one say you're being ignorant to the fact that most developers go where they can make money?

Like others above me said, it's not about BB having a perfectly good OS to build with. At this point IOS and Android have way too many users for most developers to ignore. Would I love to see more developers make apps for BB10? Of coarse!!! I don't have a BB10 device yet. Plan to get one soon but I know what if feels like to not have a huge selection of apps (word to OS7.1). Ultimately, if BB can't produce a OS that's attractive enough to bring more of the masses to it, then developers won't come. Many don't have the resources to dedicate to such a small player
    It's a chicken or egg problem that's not easily solved. BB is about 2-3 years behind, and behind the eight ball. At this point, I don't see much beyond a niche presence for the platform. Barring Samsung type innovation and marketing, it'll be iOS and Android, with BB and WP8 struggling in the mid single digits. People who want a wealth and choice of apps are going to go elsewhere. Indeed, they already have. This is all Basillie's and Lazaridis's fault. If anyone has a time machine, they should travel back to 2009 and hold them in a closet at gunpoint.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    h20work likes this.
    06-18-13 06:07 PM
    It's a chicken or egg problem that's not easily solved. BB is about 2-3 years behind, and behind the eight ball. At this point, I don't see much beyond a niche presence for the platform. Barring Samsung type innovation and marketing, it'll be iOS and Android, with BB and WP8 struggling in the mid single digits. People who want a wealth and choice of apps are going to go elsewhere. Indeed, they already have. This is all Basillie's and Lazaridis's fault. If anyone has a time machine, they should travel back to 2009 and hold them in a closet at gunpoint.

Those two I just hate for putting a bad word out on BlackBerry. I'm going to put my hopes in Thor. Two guys with two different perspectives wasn't a great idea at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 06:11 PM

I agree with you. Its gonna take many years for BB to regain marketshare even close to the two leaders. I don't see it happening in the next 2 years personally...and this is why I don't get calling developers ignorant for not developing for BB. Certain developers do have the resources yet still don't develop for us...but again, that's their choice.
    06-18-13 10:35 PM
    Those two I just hate for putting a bad word out on BlackBerry. I'm going to put my hopes in Thor. Two guys with two different perspectives wasn't a great idea at all.

Posted via CB10
    So you hate the 2 guys who brought you blackberry that you love so much?

They got arrogant, that's a fact, but without them BlackBerry wouldn't have existed. I don't hate anyone or anything, except for my selfish ex. I have my reasons for that, and they are also facts
    06-19-13 02:18 AM
    They got arrogant, that's a fact, but without them BlackBerry wouldn't have existed.
    Barely exists now.

Berry_Pink likes this.
    06-22-13 10:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    He cannot repair the damage already done.
    06-22-13 12:04 PM
    So you hate the 2 guys who brought you blackberry that you love so much?

They got arrogant, that's a fact, but without them BlackBerry wouldn't have existed. I don't hate anyone or anything, except for my selfish ex. I have my reasons for that, and they are also facts
    So did Thor, he got arrogant and he started bashing the iphone in interviews. Then out comes ios7 full of gestures and easy multitasking similar or better then BB10.

When a CEO bashes the iphone it always goes bad for the company lol.
    06-22-13 01:27 PM
    So did Thor, he got arrogant and he started bashing the iphone in interviews. Then out comes ios7 full of gestures and easy multitasking similar or better then BB10.

When a CEO bashes the iphone it always goes bad for the company lol.
    Just as it did with Samsung I guess?

Barely exists now.

Why are you still here? You're bashing skills have become ridiculously good in the last weeks...

When someone can show 50000 people affected by a ohone virus ill start to listen.

So far? Lots of talk. Juat like bb talking up bb10. All talk no substance

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04...lware_badnews/
    2 million downloads.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2013/04/15...s-report-says/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/06/g...-of-malicious/

Not even talking about app permissions on Android. Privacy is mostly a joke on an Android. If Google doesn't mine your data, the apps do it:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...atsapp-privacy

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...rivacy_study_/

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2...urity-breaches

http://www.readwrite.com/2013/04/05/...k-like-malware

http://www.lifehacker.com/5991099/wh...ny-permissions

There is not even the need for malware to be on the device, so that the privacy is compromised.
    I still wonder why the game "paper toss" needed access to my phone book on Android.
    Or my pictures.
    Or my location.

And with Google collaborating on PRISM, my trust definitely hasn't risen.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 02:36 AM
173 ... 567