As the rest of you I am eagerly anticipating BB10, however we need to get some progress reports. Crackberry and N4BB are trying their very best to get us as much information as possible but RIM needs to let go of the horns a bit and get more out to the public.

I understand the whole idea of not releasing too much for fear of the competition. While Apple and Samsung are like two kids fighting over a lollipop in the schoolyard; Microsoft is poised to take third spot in the smart phone market place by indicating what apps/games and some features that will be available during their launch window. What has RIM shown us so far.....nothing or very little.

So when do you think we will see a handset (keyboard or not) running BB10 software?

I lost my Bold 9900 and now working with a cheap pre-paid Android. I may be able to buy a phone outright within the next month or so (as I am nowhere near eligible for an upgrade). I want to make sure it would be worth saving my pennies.

Yes, on one hand it is only August, but on the other hand it is August already which means iPhone 5 and WP8 are out in the next two months, lets get cracking RIM.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-13-12 03:14 PM
    Not sure how you missed it but the target release date for BB10 devices is some time around January 2013. Been discussed all over the place
    08-13-12 03:26 PM
    You likely won't see much of anything else from bb10 until Late November earliest.
    08-13-12 03:35 PM
    Not sure how you missed it but the target release date for BB10 devices is some time around January 2013. Been discussed all over the place
    I am well aware the target release of BB10 is the first quarter of 2013. That doesn't mean January. It could be February or March for all we know. I'm not looking for a specific date (although that would be nice) but something that would keep me waiting for BB10 which is overall what I was meaning.

We are fast approaching that timeframe, so in my opinion, we should be seeing some key features, apps, games, and so forth in anticipation of launch.
    08-13-12 03:48 PM
    I won't be surprised if BB10 release is pushed out to Q2'13.

As such, if BB10 is cool, the less they say now, the bigger the splash it will be when it comes out.

Spilling any beans now will not help them.
    08-13-12 04:00 PM
    OP, try and turn off about BB10, that's what I've tried to do. I heard Jan 2013 too so we can't do anything until then.

08-13-12 04:17 PM
    It's interesting that during BlackBerry World they called what they showed of us BB10 a "sneak peak" not even a demo or preview. I know RIM is playing things close to the chest, but if you read up their new CMO has said that by Q4 of this year we'll start getting pictures and videos to quell our feverish hands, that are so desperately waiting to hold use and show off the new BB10 devices. RIM honestly wants to show us the goods within a time frame that the competition cannot stop them, "me too" them or otherwise rip them off. How long did it take for an iOS developer to rip-off the *patented* keyboard in the form of Octopus? How long did it take Nokia to rip apart Scaldo for all it was worth too? And how long did it take for iOS to announce they're going to be using TomTom for maps, just like BlackBerry announced back in May...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 04:39 PM
    You might as well chill. BB10 will be here when it gets here. No sense ranting about it.
    08-13-12 05:49 PM
    Plain and simple, till Rim actually releases bb10. No amount of leaks or previews will change anything. Os7 devices are at a stand still not selling in great numbers and Rim is bleeding money. Consumers wont be moved by previews, they want to see the finished product. So unless Rim starts showing the final working version of bb10 on bb10 hardware its useless. So just wait till it comes out, it will either be great or another flop, time will only tell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-13-12 06:39 PM
    Here's the problem RIM faces with a 2013 rollout. Android, Apple, and MS are all putting their best foot forward in 2012. By the time bb10 arrives these will already into getting the bugs worked out, will already have spent months being advertised, and will have gobbled up mindshare and phone plan contracts. Even if it makes a splash I think they're looking at being relegated to a 4th place finish by the time the dust settles next year and they're going to have to really fight vigorously to turn that into a higher placing in 2014.
    08-13-12 07:20 PM
    No one is trying to downplay the need for new BlackBerries or any enthusiasm of what is on the horizon, but, it's just hard to get excited by just hearing about information being played close to the vest and also hearing that the bugs are still being worked out. I'll pick back up the debates about RIM vs ?.....when a BB10 is in my hands next year.
    08-13-12 07:57 PM
    It's interesting that during BlackBerry World they called what they showed of us BB10 a "sneak peak" not even a demo or preview.
    I'll bet that even today they don't have any working apps to demo.

How long did it take for an iOS developer to rip-off the *patented* keyboard in the form of Octopus? How long did it take Nokia to rip apart Scaldo for all it was worth too? And how long did it take for iOS to announce they're going to be using TomTom for maps, just like BlackBerry announced back in May...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The only people who care about who came up with the idea first are the fanboys. Consumers care only about how features are implemented or in RIM's case, when. I couldn't care less who calls dibs on a new feature...I want to see how it works on a real device. Love the free-market system!
    08-13-12 08:00 PM
    Microsoft is poised to take third spot in the smart phone market place
    Even if it makes a splash I think they're looking at being relegated to a 4th place finish by the time the dust settles next year
    I'm sorry, but throughout the existance of Windows Mobile and Windows Phone, they've managed to notch up a fairly un-impressive 2.6% market share together, compared to RIM's dwindling 8.4%

Although I know how good Windows Phone is - yes, I have used it, and I do like it - it's hardly made an impact and I'm not sure why you think Windows Phone 8 is suddenly going to change over the course of a 3-4 months period, between it's launch and BB10's launch, what the two previous incarnation haven't managed to do over a far longer period

Si.
    08-13-12 08:28 PM
    How about RIM wanting to avoid people copying their stuff in the new phones coming out in the fall???

I think RIM learned from their playbook mistake where they showed people stuff when it was clearly not ready. Hopefully by the time we see the BB10 UI, the OS is fairly baked and ready for launch.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    08-13-12 08:32 PM
    How about RIM wanting to avoid people copying their stuff in the new phones coming out in the fall???

I think RIM learned from their playbook mistake where they showed people stuff when it was clearly not ready. Hopefully by the time we see the BB10 UI, the OS is fairly baked and ready for launch.
    I'm sure they have learned a lesson and now is not the time to release incomplete devices.

sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-13-12 at 10:27 PM.
    08-13-12 09:40 PM
    Damned if they do damned if they don't..... If RIM releases to early and it is not ready.... people are upset and the company tanks further.... If RIM waits till the product is ready into next year.... People are upset.... no win for RIM either way.... how about a novel idea.... wait for RIM to relesase the product and then wait and see if it is any good....
    08-13-12 10:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but throughout the existance of Windows Mobile and Windows Phone, they've managed to notch up a fairly un-impressive 2.6% market share together, compared to RIM's dwindling 8.4%

Although I know how good Windows Phone is - yes, I have used it, and I do like it - it's hardly made an impact and I'm not sure why you think Windows Phone 8 is suddenly going to change over the course of a 3-4 months period, between it's launch and BB10's launch, what the two previous incarnation haven't managed to do over a far longer period

Si.
    The simple answer to that is that this will be the first time to market for anybody of a mobile platform with a desktop/laptop shared kernel. Keeping in mind MS has somewhere to the tune of 80% presence in all home and businesses for a computer OS. Also remember that unlike BB10, developers are tripping over themselves to get on board with MS.

However due to yesterday's news that RIM is likely to license BB10 now, I'm not going to count them out of the game just yet. Licensing other OEMs to make BB10 devices could have a huge impact on how much of a presence it has.
    08-13-12 11:18 PM
    I don't think it's about phones; BB10 is more than a phone OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    08-14-12 01:03 AM
    I'll stay with the wait-n-see approach, for now.

sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    08-16-12 11:24 AM
    I don't think it's about phones; BB10 is more than a phone OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    I truly hope so, as of right now Rim has nothing going for it other then decent phones. They need an ecosystem on top of that to regain their market share. A great phone wont do that, look at palm with its pre line. Great looking sleek hardware, decent os, but no apps or strong ecosystem = death for them and hp in the mobile environment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD