These are thing BBRY needs to address.

It's now already understood they are fighting fires on multiple fronts but, fair or not, that's how the mobility game goes… not our problem as customers….

1) Reliability -- updates have resulted in various stages of reliability from stability to battery life…

FIX THIS!

2) Application availability (aka Apps Matter) -- Android compatibility is a quicksand deathtrap. DUMP IT.

As soon as Android vendors figure they can expand their half assed Android apps to BB10, they will. And Blackberry will suffer for two reasons: 1) suck *** ported Android apps 2) lack of awesome native apps. BBRY may thing this is a way in, but it's not, it's a way OUT…

3) Some stuff DOESN'T matter ENOUGH…

BES doesn't matter *enough* to current customers, be they small biz or large corporate

Exchange Active Sync is "good enough" for businesses

4) BYOD features are nice…but per above not enough to get the masses to switch…

Just some thoughts on adoption obstruction….

-CFOT

EDIT: Clarified item 3 -- agree with others that wasn't clear but I do stand by my assertion that it's not enough of a selling point
    Last edited by ColdFistOfTruth; 08-01-13 at 06:27 AM.
    sasky likes this.
    07-31-13 09:02 PM
    Bro if you think BES doesn't matter to consumers then nothing in your post is even relevant. Where do you think the actual current BlackBerry revenue comes from? from air? Duhhhh

And as far as your porting over android apps is concerned do you know how many apps were ported over and then actually re made for BB10???? It's a cheap perfect way to port over apps to see if a developer has a market in the BB10 ecosystem. All your points are invalid and make no sense.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard, igor10000 and mk2234 like this.
    07-31-13 09:10 PM
    BES doesn't matter to current consumers, be they consumer or corporate
    Let's be honest.... you're full of some serious BS... which is why everything else you said lost all credibility...
    07-31-13 09:13 PM
    OP, Donald Trump called and said :

"You're FIRED!"

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard and mk2234 like this.
    07-31-13 09:19 PM
    Let's be honest.... you're full of some serious BS... which is why everything else you said lost all credibility...
    ^ This!

Maybe BES isn't important to you or your employer but it sure as heck is to mine.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    mk2234 and Rowan M like this.
    07-31-13 09:22 PM
    Lmao does Taco bell even use BES lol

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 09:24 PM
    Let's just be honest...things BB needs to address-you-serious.jpeg

Posted via Z10 and CB10 on Rogers
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-31-13 10:06 PM
    This "List of things" they need to address begins and ends in the same place.

Marketing. Period.

We already know that they're working on all of the other stuff. The updates that have come out are pretty amazing. The difference between OS 10 and 10.2 is like the difference between iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, just all on the same device. So they KNOW how to do their updates and all that kind of stuff.

What they can't seem to figure out is HOW TO SHOW HOW GREAT THE DAMN THING IS!!! Even the new Q10 commercial that runs here in the USA isn't very good. As someone who doesn't know how OS 10 works, my wife told me that she hates that commercial because it all goes so fast that she can't figure out what's going on. ( this is that one that starts with the guy saying "it's time...) I showed her on my Z10 what the guy is actually doing and she was blown away, but couldn't see it in the commercial. That makes it a waste of time and money.

Marketing. Just marketing.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 10:29 PM
    ^ This!

Maybe BES isn't important to you or your employer but it sure as heck is to mine.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Enterprise =/ consumer. BES offers no benefit to the average consumer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-13 12:22 AM
    Sorry OP, can't agree with any of the points made.
    08-01-13 12:35 AM
    Enterprise =/ consumer. BES offers no benefit to the average consumer.
    The op also said corporate doesn't need BES.
    The op is a fool if he believes half the nonsense he wrote

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    08-01-13 02:20 AM
    Hah. BES is pretty much the sole bright spot for BlackBerry right now. And cross platform BBM as a secure messaging solution in a corporate environment is something businesses will want. BlackBerry stated they are targeting the enterprise. Knowing they can't win over consumers. So OP. You are pretty off base. Sorry.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    08-01-13 02:42 AM
    BES is the gold standard of device management. Corporations know it, trust it, and even those that have gone in other directions (BYOD) use its feature set to evaluate other MDM products.

More than likely, the OP has never actually used a BES connected device and thinks it's just a way of connecting email to a device as opposed to knowing how it makes a mobile device part of a company's internal network. Do a little more research before giving such an uninformed statement.

Yes, there are a lot of areas that BlackBerry needs to work on, but let's address where the real issues lie: execution, communication, and carrier relations.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 06:28 AM
    I changed my post to be more clear on the biggest point of contention. It was worded poorly (AND contained a typo which didn't help).

But I do stick with my assertion that BES is not a huge make or break selling point any more...

In the olden days, Exchange (and Notes -- remember that?) HAD to have a mobile device integration solution, but that's been in the box for 10 years with Exchange and "good enough" wins most of the time...

Apologies for the confusion caused by the wording, and we'll all still have to agree to disagree on the sentiment :-D

-CFOT
    08-01-13 06:29 AM
    If BES mattered "enough", BB wouldn't be where they are now. And it isn't getting better.
    08-01-13 06:46 AM
    Poor comment OP
    08-01-13 06:47 AM
    I agree. Android compatibility is one of those things that sounds good and looks good on paper but ultimately it best serves and perpetuates Android.

Too many people are falling for the Apple and Android hype of how many zillion applications they have in their respective stores and adopt a " I want it all and want it now" attitude towards software availability on new devices. Again this best serves the established operating systems.

One of my own things BB needs to improve is the functionality, capability and user choice/option available on BB10 because to be blunt it is pathetic. I have only very recently bought my first Blackberry a Q10. I previously used Nokia Symbian devices, little mentioned around here, probably because they were never that big in the USA but peak user base of around 210 million devices that's currently the stuff of dreams for Blackberry... and Nokia with their WP devices for that matter. Anyway back to the point despite being declared an obsolete OS that hasn't seen significant development in the last two years I'm still astounded at how badly BB10 compares to it in terms of power user capability and fine tuning user option and control. BB10 is however a clear winner when it comes to the user interface.

How Blackberry expect to take the mobile phone world by storm with such a backward and functionaly limited operating system is beyond me. There seems to be a lot (too much!) hope placed in the 10.2 update to bring BB10 up to where it should have been at launch but the danger is that the damage has already been done and recovery may not be easy.
    08-01-13 06:49 AM
    Really? BES is only part of the solution, BYOD and the consumer market is where BlackBerry failed with BBOS. Too many are expecting a quick turnaround, it's going to take time, relax and enjoy your BlackBerry 10 device.
    08-01-13 06:50 AM
    It's not just marketing. Microsoft has marketed the hell out of the surface and it has all but flopped in the consumer market.

Blackberry needs a must have or killer feature that will make people who have invested in other platforms want to switch.

There really isn't anything that BB10 does that can't be done in some way shape or form on Android or iOS. The software is nice but is still unfinished in my opinion. The camera is ok but there are equal or better cameras on other platforms. The major app selection is pathetic (Porting Android apps is useless to most people who either won't do it or won't take the time to learn how to do it). The media selection isn't close to Google Play or iTunes, Blackberry Link is a joke, no cloud support like iCloud, etc etc etc.

I use the Z10 because I like Blackberry and it works for me. But most people don't like blackberry now and it's going to take more than some fancy marketing for BB10 to make a dent in the consumer market.
    08-01-13 07:05 AM

3) Some stuff DOESN'T matter ENOUGH…

BES doesn't matter *enough* to current customers, be they small biz or large corporate

Yeah, sure. Which is why I've still got 700+ users on BES, because it doesn't matter. Doesn't matter at all that it allows us to give them access to our secure Intranet without needing a VPN connection.

You don't know what you are talking about.
    Thunderbuck and southlander like this.
    08-01-13 07:18 AM
    I changed my post to be more clear on the biggest point of contention. It was worded poorly (AND contained a typo which didn't help).

But I do stick with my assertion that BES is not a huge make or break selling point any more...

In the olden days, Exchange (and Notes -- remember that?) HAD to have a mobile device integration solution, but that's been in the box for 10 years with Exchange and "good enough" wins most of the time...

Apologies for the confusion caused by the wording, and we'll all still have to agree to disagree on the sentiment :-D

-CFOT
    I think you are wrong.
    Are you a business
    How big is your company?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 08:08 AM
    BlackBerry was invented for the corporate world was it not? Without BES, there is no BlackBerry..

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    08-01-13 10:32 AM
    These are thing BBRY needs to address.
    ...3) Some stuff DOESN'T matter ENOUGH…

4) BYOD features are nice…but per above not enough to get the masses to switch…

Just some thoughts on adoption obstruction….

-CFOT

EDIT: Clarified item 3 -- agree with others that wasn't clear but I do stand by my assertion that it's not enough of a selling point
    You know, when I first heard that BB10 would connect directly to ActiveSync, I had the same thought, but that's a VERY limited view.

AS connectivity is great for customers who ran BES Express before. People who maybe had a Small Business Server and a dozen or so users. That's a win-win, since BB was no longer stuck supporting a "free" product that was just as complex as its enterprise offering. Agreed, for those customers, ActiveSync is "good enough".

Get past that, though, and it becomes clear very quickly how BES10 is useful. It allows just a stupid level of device management and security. As a BES admin, I can wipe a user's whole phone, or just the "work" partition. I can put policies in place to disable the camera (some companies need that). I can put iPhones and Androids and OS7 phones all on the same management interface. Oh, and for those iPhones and Androids? BB charges $99 per year for those guys to be on BES10, so that's a nice ongoing revenue stream.

I think BES10 is actually one of the brightest spots in BB's product portfolio right now.
    southlander and Rowan M like this.
    08-01-13 10:53 AM
    Hey thunderbuck how many phones do you manage on your BES10? Can you give me some insight of how many are android or ios and also bb10 phones? Great post btw

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:04 AM
    You know, when I first heard that BB10 would connect directly to ActiveSync, I had the same thought, but that's a VERY limited view.

AS connectivity is great for customers who ran BES Express before. People who maybe had a Small Business Server and a dozen or so users. That's a win-win, since BB was no longer stuck supporting a "free" product that was just as complex as its enterprise offering. Agreed, for those customers, ActiveSync is "good enough".

Get past that, though, and it becomes clear very quickly how BES10 is useful. It allows just a stupid level of device management and security. As a BES admin, I can wipe a user's whole phone, or just the "work" partition. I can put policies in place to disable the camera (some companies need that). I can put iPhones and Androids and OS7 phones all on the same management interface. Oh, and for those iPhones and Androids? BB charges $99 per year for those guys to be on BES10, so that's a nice ongoing revenue stream.

I think BES10 is actually one of the brightest spots in BB's product portfolio right now.
    Hey great post. Can you tell us how many phones are on your BES10? How many are IOS BB10 and how many are android? How much is BlackBerry making per BB10 device? 50.00 a year? Also so in BES10 cameras can be disabled in IOS and also android?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:54 AM
46 12