Ok, so Apple has 1 phone a year and it builds hype etc. Everyone wants it.

I had a blackberry for years, switched to an iPhone 4, now back with a blackberry bold 9900 and I love it. The problem - I never new Blackberry had a slim touch screen 9900 cause they have 50 curves that all are practically the same device.

I think with the new blackberry 10 phones, blackberry should release 1 or 2 of them a year. it builds hype, creates great marketing.

Way to many curves etc.

What do you guys think?
    03-04-12 02:08 PM
    I agree. One worldwide curve. One worldwide bold. One worldwide all touch. One worldwide torch. That way they can provide the same OS to many form factors. Something for everyone. Then launch new devices every 10 months simultaneously.

Maybe even throw a style in there too. No more 10 models of the curve with the same specs every year.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-04-12 02:17 PM
    I agree. One worldwide curve. One worldwide bold. One worldwide all touch. One worldwide torch. That way they can provide the same OS to many form factors. Something for everyone. Then launch new devices every 10 months simultaneously.

Maybe even throw a style in there too. No more 10 models of the curve with the same specs.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    They have to do the customizing if that is what the carriers ask for. They simply don't have the clout, nor the phones the appeal, to tell the carriers to shove it.

I wonder if it would make sense to at least reduce the form factors. One candy bar with physical keyboard, one touchscreen. That's it.
    03-04-12 02:21 PM
    yeah . not sure the names of the new blackberry 10 phones.

but once a year they should release 1 bold 10 phone 1 curve 10 phone 1 tour 10 phone or something or just 1 blackberry 10 phone....

one of the problems i feel for blackberry the last few years have just been way to many phone releases that practically do the same thing....
    03-04-12 02:25 PM
    That might be possible if you could get even two carriers to agree on a spec, never mind all of them.

One model per form factor won't cut it, either. If it's a high-end spec, you're locking out the lower price point buyers. Spec it too low and, well, you can already see the rabid fallout here when a BB doesn't match up with everybody else's high-end models.
    03-04-12 02:30 PM
    does apple care about the lower price point buyers though? no every phone 199 or higher...no 49.99 iphones..
    03-04-12 02:32 PM
    RIM should stick to what they think is best. That's my opinion.
    03-04-12 03:40 PM
    does apple care about the lower price point buyers though? no every phone 199 or higher...no 49.99 iphones..
    This is simply not true. The first iPhone is now FREE with contract and the iPhone 4 is $99.
    03-04-12 04:09 PM
    yes, old versions etc are marked down...

but a BRAND NEW model iPhone when first released is never under 199. They usually aren't discounted until close to the next generation comes out.

Pretty much every curve etc you can sometimes get for free or for 40 bucks with your 2 yr discounts.

all i'm saying is as a blackberry fan I see some things apple is getting right.

Marketing - 1 phone a year - ipad and iphone linked together.

Blackberry - 15 new phones a year? if not more. not one that really stands out. customers confused when entering the store. "should I buy this 1 iPhone that everyone loves or these 6 blackberry's?"
    03-04-12 04:14 PM
    I greatly disagree.

BlackBerry is not Apple, and clearly that BlackBerry Still exists shows that not EVERYONE wants the same thing, why do car company's make more than 1 model? or TV company's? you need multiple price points, multiple choices, multiple needs.

I refer you to this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...e-bb10-705508/

Which asked How many phone models should RIM make

I made this statement
    I will be WAY different than most o you in my opinion

RIM needs
    1:Premium All Touch BB10 device - New Model Yearly
    2:Entery level All Touch BB10 Devie - New Model 18-24 month cycle
    3:Premium QWERTY Candy Bar device - Alternating Model between 9900 size, and 9700 size yearly
    4:Enter Level QWERTY Candy Bar device - Alternating yearly models with different Niche focus
    5:Ultra durable Flip Phone with QWERTY ( Style like) - Durable Niche market phone, contractor, military, outdoor extreme markets,
    6:Ultra Small Candy Bar SureType ( Pearl like) - Ultra portable, slim line, made for the person on the go, with medium/low smartphone requirements, most likely targeted as a kids smartphone, or fitness buff smartphone high storage, light weight, good battery, no camera.
    7: Mid Range Portrait slider, Hybid device between ALL touch and QWERTY, 18-24 month upgrade cycle

I would want the Entry level all touch device for the NON Latin/Roman alphabet markets with the low GDP per capita groups. these devices will not be devices that get upgraded often so you want them to be on the current OS, and not just push BB7 devices into that market, they need BB10 global market share, China has 1 Billion mobile subscribers, they need BB10 in there.

The Entery level QWERTY like current curves is for the prepaid market and the low cost markets again, they should do different curve models changing the focus every 12-18 months, so upgrades are worth changing for. maybe 1 year a HD camera Curve model, the next year a high storage, model,

The Style like device would be made like the durable motorola phones for Military applications, and for extreme weather markets and for contracting job sites, NO ONE is addressing these needs in smartphones main stream, costs are astronomical and options are not there, MDM doesn't exist so RIM could take this market with a quality built deployable and remote manageable smartphone

I'd like to see the Pearl device brought back, appox 110 x 50 x 11 mm, suretype keyboard, this device is to target to the kid market, the fitness freak market it is a glorified phone/MP3 Player, small screen, compact size you CAN txt on it, but that isn't the primary function it is a PHONE, and a MP3 Player

RIM needs to be a global player with BB10, they need a 2 year road map with multiple device launches globally over those 2 years to ensure they have over 50% of their user base running BB10
    03-04-12 04:18 PM
    deRussett, that sort of inventory is insanely expensive to manage efficiently. Samsung is doing it but they are a chaebol and very different from a North American dedicated vendor like RIM. RIM would also need the sort of tight control Apple uses to properly feed the demand for each of the price points and markets you are proposing. I don't think right now that RIM has the infrastructure in place to be able to execute anything even remotely resembling your proposal.

Furthermore, it's an even worse proposal than the current Android business model, that you are proposing from a *single* vendor. Any new customer would look at that lineup and say "!!?? Which one is for me? I can't decide! Oh, this one way over here is nice and simple." See The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-04-12 04:29 PM
    deRussett, that sort of inventory is insanely expensive to manage efficiently. Samsung is doing it but they are a chaebol and very different from a North American dedicated vendor like RIM. RIM would also need the sort of tight control Apple uses to properly feed the demand for each of the price points and markets you are proposing. I don't think right now that RIM has the infrastructure in place to be able to execute anything even remotely resembling your proposal.

Furthermore, it's an even worse proposal than the current Android business model, that you are proposing from a *single* vendor. Any new customer would look at that lineup and say "!!?? Which one is for me? I can't decide! Oh, this one way over here is nice and simple." See The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    RIM is far from a Dedicated North American Vendor, if RIM was a dedicated North American Vendor I would wash away the Entery level Touch device, And I would kill the curve model as well,

RIM was very successful with Multiple lines when they had competitive hardware within those lines, Internals can very much be shared, as RIM did with OS7 devices to reduce overhead costs,

The More is less paradox linked to is a valid thing to be examined, and if the devices over lapped form factors mode so like currently happens in the Android ~4" market then that holds true, in the case of offering different form factors, the Style and pearl form factors would be niche products, inventory's would not he held as high, but would be keeping people within your ecosystem if they need to expand,

What RIM has over samsung is the revenue per device with BIS/BES, and an exclusive ecosystem, Samsung must compete with other players for the same experience, making their effort harder.
    RIM needs to bring in and attract a large user base, AND make it harder for a single device to do to the market what the iPhone did every again.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    03-04-12 04:41 PM
    I would think that two or three models would be perfect. My guess is less models will cut down on the amount of time developers would spend making an app or a game. With less time spent that's money saved. In theory it would bring more apps and games to Blackberry. I would stick to the Bold, a high end touch screen and one low end touch or KB model.

Spend more time working with quality materials and make Blackberry high end mobile device. There is a hole ( in my opinion ) in the market right now. People want a high prestigious device.
    03-04-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD