I too agree that BB10 is the nicest OS to use. (no experience with WP). I do think that BB10 is for users who are willing to work through the odd glitch. iOS is better at rolling out upgrades and as the best app store and camera.
    Some people do not like iTunes but I do and BlackBerry does not have that.

iOS has an App that allows remote file access.

Why buy a BlackBerry ? Because you like the OS or you need the PKB and you are not so big on apps . I really like the Q10 and I hope they expand the screen to 3.5 inches.

I can understand why some folks love their 9900's. They have spent the time and effort in becoming BBOS experts. They have learned all the tricks and short cuts. They know it inside out and it works so well for them. Along comes BB10 and they have removed all the old tricks and special little features in favor of an OS that requires very little expertise at all and it performs media consumption tasks with ease. The beauty of iOS over any other OS is non phone geeks find it so easy to use.
    12-27-14 12:58 PM
    I too agree that BB10 is the nicest OS to use. (no experience with WP). I do think that BB10 is for users who are willing to work through the odd glitch. iOS is better at rolling out upgrades and as the best app store and camera.
    Some people do not like iTunes but I do and BlackBerry does not have that.

iOS has an App that allows remote file access.

Why buy a BlackBerry ? Because you like the OS or you need the PKB and you are not so big on apps . I really like the Q10 and I hope they expand the screen to 3.5 inches.

I can understand why some folks love their 9900's. They have spent the time and effort in becoming BBOS experts. They have learned all the tricks and short cuts. They know it inside out and it works so well for them. Along comes BB10 and they have removed all the old tricks and special little features in favor of an OS that requires very little expertise at all and it performs media consumption tasks with ease. The beauty of iOS over any other OS is non phone geeks find it so easy to use.
    Along comes BB10 and moves into an already oversaturated market that long predated BB10 with more or less zero chances of a decent slice of the said market.
    12-27-14 01:47 PM
    Lol so much horse **** you do realize BlackBerry was at one point considered . basically what. Apple currently is.... so If that's what your whole essay is based on Mr android, then in glad I stopped reading half way

I am zee that is the 10
    Think about the mobile climate when BlackBerry was on top. There were a few alternatives, but BlackBerry was the best. This was during a time before high speed data (remember what a big deal it was when the 9700 came out with 3G?) and devices had poor browsers in terms of both speed and rendering, few good quality apps, tiny screens, and laggy hardware. The main alternatives to BB (Symbian, WinMo, and Danger OS) are long dead. I remember when the iPhone and first Android devices came out and CBers laughed and laughed at them. BB was still on top, and rightfully so. I don't think anyone on the board back in those days could have ever predicted the massive influence that iPhones and Android devices were going to have. We were unfortunately taking our cue from Mike and Jim who were also laughing. We all know what a big mistake that was.
    12-27-14 02:31 PM
    I am not in your camp or entirely out of it. They could have had at least one more generation of better BB7+ devices to satisfy the PKB market. Ultimately though they needed to have an OS that ran Android apps .

They would have sold more BBOS phones if the OS has not been orphaned in August 2011.

If for some reason they limit the first generation of BB10 devices to 10.2.1 my Z10 will be my last BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-27-14 at 03:16 PM.
    12-27-14 02:39 PM
    Think about the mobile climate when BlackBerry was on top. There were a few alternatives, but BlackBerry was the best. This was during a time before high speed data (remember what a big deal it was when the 9700 came out with 3G?) and devices had poor browsers in terms of both speed and rendering, few good quality apps, tiny screens, and laggy hardware. The main alternatives to BB (Symbian, WinMo, and Danger OS) are long dead. I remember when the iPhone and first Android devices came out and CBers laughed and laughed at them. BB was still on top, and rightfully so. I don't think anyone on the board back in those days could have ever predicted the massive influence that iPhones and Android devices were going to have. We were unfortunately taking our cue from Mike and Jim who were also laughing. We all know what a big mistake that was.
    Correction, the first 3G BB was the 8707v followed by the Bold 9000. The 9700 was not first.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-27-14 02:52 PM
    Correction, the first 3G BB was the 8707v followed by the Bold 9000. The 9700 was not first.
    Ahh I know where my mixup was. It was the first BB on T-Mobile to get it, and T-Mo users were excited.
    12-27-14 03:09 PM
    To be a niche manufacturer you need some niche USPs, like BIS email and data compression for example, not easily copied hardware designs.

If the Passport was really successful there would be nothing stopping Samsung copying the design.
    I wouldn't call BIS a USP. More like a unique disadvantage.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-27-14 03:39 PM
    Wow lots of anti iPhone myths in this thread. First of, yes they do only have 15% of the global market by unit volume but their US market share is over 40%. Their revenue and profit share is much higher. They make most of the profits in the smartphone business. More importantly, their App Store pays out more to developers than the Android store. That seems surprising until you take in to account how fragmented Android actually is. Many Android devices don't have access to the Google apps or App Store (e.g. the BB10 and Amazon devices) and many are running ancient versions of the OS.

So developers mostly love IOS (and judging by the developer conferences I have been to, they love Macs too) and develop for that platform first. Users seem to love it too judging by the sales and user satisfaction ratings.

Android is of course the second platform developers build apps for and one they are done with Android they often don't have the resources for additional platforms (Android is a lot of work). That's why Microsoft's apps store is also mostly empty.

Someone mentioned iOS's small screens. I guess they missed the recently announced 6 Plus which is huge.

The obsession with Apple is rather pointless though, BB's consumer competition is Google supported Android. You can buy a Moto X unlocked for less than $300. Hard for BB to compete with that. If you insist on something with a small App Store, Windows Phones cost less than $200 unlocked.

Chen is right to focus on Enterprise and PKB. The consumer all touch market is gone. You can't succeed if no one will develop apps for your platform. Microsoft is having the same problem and they have much deeper pockets and better dev tools.
    12-27-14 04:06 PM
    If for some reason they limit the first generation of BB10 devices to 10.2.1 my Z10 will be my last BlackBerry.
    I don't feel the same way. I love 10.2.1. If 10.3 comes to my carrier, I'll take it. If not, no big deal. I'll continue to use my Q10 on 10.2.1 which is working totally to my satisfaction.
    12-27-14 04:21 PM
    there are leaks that work very well
    12-27-14 04:32 PM
    I wouldn't call BIS a USP. More like a unique disadvantage.
    BIS was a huge advantage, if you didn't want BIS all other manufacturers made phones without it, you just had to take your pick.
    12-27-14 05:40 PM
    BIS was a huge advantage, if you didn't want BIS all other manufacturers made phones without it, you just had to take your pick.
    The horse and buggy had great advantages too. No high gas prices!

Posted from my Classic.
    12-27-14 05:43 PM
    And BlackBerry could be forced to give governments access to it, which the public loved...

Check Out TechCraze
    12-27-14 06:00 PM
    Market share does mean a lot.

Ideally with a market growing 25% YOY you want to be increasing the number of smartphone shipments as well. If market share is decreasing it means that the company is not growing in line with the market and this is what companies like Blackberry and even Samsung have been seeing where as companies like Xiaomi and Lenovo have seen tremendous growth.
    Apple's global market share isn't growing either.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:10 PM
    I don't feel the same way. I love 10.2.1. If 10.3 comes to my carrier, I'll take it. If not, no big deal. I'll continue to use my Q10 on 10.2.1 which is working totally to my satisfaction.
    So you have really low expectations .
    12-27-14 06:36 PM
    So you have really low expectations . I actually expect 10.3 to arrive since there appears to be no technical barriers so if they do not provide the upgrade it is because they think their customers will accept any thing.
    Not exactly. I only install official carrier upgrades, so if 10.3 doesn't arrive, I might blame my carrier, but I wouldn't blame BlackBerry for not making one in the first place.

I made the switch from BB7 to BB10 because BlackBerry gave me a choice, and I decided (after being on the fence for a long time) that BB10 was the right choice for me. Now, if BlackBerry never even made BB10 to begin with, I would still be happily using BB7 today. I would never have switched to one of the other platforms.
    12-27-14 06:41 PM
    Not exactly. I only install official carrier upgrades, so if 10.3 doesn't arrive, I might blame my carrier, but I wouldn't blame BlackBerry for not making one in the first place.

I made the switch from BB7 to BB10 because BlackBerry gave me a choice, and I decided (after being on the fence for a long time) that BB10 was the right choice for me. Now, if BlackBerry never even made BB10 to begin with, I would still be happily using BB7 today. I would never have switched to one of the other platforms.
    Wow - you are the most positive CB poster ever,
    TheAuthority likes this.
    12-27-14 06:44 PM

You are a minority. Most people using a smart phone back in the day. changed from a BlackBerry to either iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 07:19 PM
    But not with the Bold keyboard and toolbelt. Palm had something similar (with a crappy keyboard) but when WebOS was released they abandoned the classic smartphone form factor (and I switched my personal device from Palm to BB Bold).
    12-27-14 08:33 PM
    Apple's global market share isn't growing either.

Posted via CB10
    True but its US market share is.
    12-27-14 08:35 PM
    And BlackBerry could be forced to give governments access to it, which the public loved...

Check Out TechCraze
    As opposed to BB10 that has nothing standing between your device and governments?
    12-28-14 03:36 AM
    The horse and buggy had great advantages too. No high gas prices!

Posted from my Classic.
    Horse and cart? Really?
    12-28-14 03:37 AM
    As opposed to BB10 that has nothing standing between your device and governments?
    Opinion oder facts?

Check Out TechCraze
    12-28-14 07:32 AM
    Opinion oder facts?

Check Out TechCraze
    Fact, BB10 uses the same connection as IPhones it androids, it no longer has BIS.

Sure it still offers protection for enterprises through BES but for consumers nada
    12-28-14 07:41 AM
    Fact, BB10 uses the same connection as IPhones it androids, it no longer has BIS.

Sure it still offers protection for enterprises through BES but for consumers nada
    Same connection in what way? Governments can't force BlackBerry to hand over anything bit gibberish with BlackBerry10 as far as I'm aware, with BIS they could have the keys to the kingdom.. This specific issue has come up before on the back of an article about how BlackBerry did exactly that with BIS, but wouldn't be able to with BlackBerry10

Check Out TechCraze
    12-28-14 08:05 AM
220 ... 34567 ...