I am due for a new phone and strongly considering switching to an iphone 4. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

My use is about 50% text and BBM, 30% phone and 20% web browsing

I had talked myself out of the iphone because I use BBM all the time. Then 4 of my BBM contacts switched to iphone in less than a month! My wife - who gets most of the BBM time - is still on a BB. I had still decided against iphone so I still had BBM but then was enlightened to whatsapp? for iphone and it looks to do pretty well the same job.

I also don't know what the call quality is like on the iphone. I am very impressed with my curves call quality - best phone I have ever had as far as that goes - and don't want to end up with a phone with poor call quality.

I was going to go to the Bold 9780 or Torch, but lately I have started to waiver.

If I should switch to iphone, tell me that. If theres many valid reasons to stay with BB, let me hear 'em!!! I have read and watched many reviews and comparisons and I just can't decide!
    01-20-11 06:53 AM
    The choice is up to you... why would we try and talk you into a decision you need to make personally.
    rick0415 likes this.
    01-20-11 07:05 AM
    Before staying with BB a few months ago I tried lots of phones in the store and in life. Your choice as mine is very personal. BB does what I need better than the other devices. Nothing against them, just for me and my life BB is the winner overall today.
    01-20-11 07:47 AM
    "My use is about 50% text and BBM, 30% phone and 20% web browsing".

That about says it. I am not going to tell you the iPhone is bad, to each his own. But the iPhone is better for web which you do only 20% of. The BB I believe is better for getting your communications done. Another factor I am not comfortable with is that the iPhone has a closed in battery. You can not change it, you can not add an extended battery, you can not even add a SD card. I had tried touchscreens and they were not for me, I have to have a keyboard. But play with one and only you can choose what will work for you.
    01-20-11 07:55 AM
    Have you ever tried to write an email on an iPhone? I've written a few on the bus/train etc and it's a pain. I'd rather have a physical keyboard in order to get the job done. I would stay with a BB to be honest.

My opinion tho. It's up to you to make your decision.
    trinityrose70 likes this.
    01-20-11 08:07 AM
    I am due for a new phone and strongly considering switching to an iphone 4. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

I had talked myself out of the iphone because I use BBM all the time. Then 4 of my BBM contacts switched to iphone in less than a month! My wife - who gets most of the BBM time - is still on a BB. I had still decided against iphone so I still had BBM but then was enlightened to whatsapp? for iphone and it looks to do pretty well the same job.

I also don't know what the call quality is like on the iphone. I am very impressed with my curves call quality - best phone I have ever had as far as that goes - and don't want to end up with a phone with poor call quality.

I was going to go to the Bold 9780 or Torch, but lately I have started to waiver.

If I should switch to iphone, tell me that. If theres many valid reasons to stay with BB, let me hear 'em!!! I have read and watched many reviews and comparisons and I just can't decide!
    There really is nothing special about BBM, now that I've used it a bit. Unless you have a ton of BBM contacts (given it's not cross platform), it shouldn't even be a factor.

If you want to switch do what you want to do, and use WhatsApp. BBM is highly overrated.

If you want to stay with BB I'd suggest the Torch over the 9780. I just prefer larger TouchScreens and OS6 just seems odd to use on a non-touch QWERTY device. They're both good devices, though, just depends on what you like most...

If BBM is really that important to you, then stay on a Blackberry. I just know I've never kept an IM client installed just to talk to 2-3 people, or something like that.

Now, depending on which email services you use... That may be a real factor in switching... BIS polls and pushes practically all your email, but not every email service supports ActiveSync/PUSH on other platforms (Gmail, Hotmail have ActiveSync, Yahoo has a push client for Android but I'm not sure about iOS).
    01-20-11 08:22 AM
    First off..unless a new phone is REALLY needed..then i'd hold off on a potential switch simply because the new iPhone will be released by summer..at which point you will probably have some buyers remorse for not waiting. If you want to switch and can hold out..i'd wait until the new one drops..although i'm sure you could pick up the i4 and then sell it for decent cash and just buy the new i5 whenever it does drop.

From your list..i'd say since you only do about 20% web browsing..then you might be best to stick with BB..unless those sites are slow and awkward to view..in which case you might be better served to upgrade to a useable browser.

As far as Whatsapp goes..it's a great alternative to BBM..and is superior to it imo simply because it's CROSS PLATFORM. Delivered/Read notification, Pics/Vids/Voice notes all able to be shared, as well as customizable icons for people. The ONLY thing it doesn't have that BBM has is group chat. I use Whatsapp to chat with my current BB friends, my wife's i4, and my friends who joined me on Androids. BBM is really a non-issue with me anymore.
    01-20-11 08:24 AM
    Have you ever tried to write an email on an iPhone? I've written a few on the bus/train etc and it's a pain. I'd rather have a physical keyboard in order to get the job done. I would stay with a BB to be honest.

My opinion tho. It's up to you to make your decision.
    The OP should stay on BB just given the information she gave in the OP (he or she). The question is largely rhetorical, AFAICT.

However, everyone who set a world record for the fastest texting/typing on a mobile phone did it on a touchscreen phone.

With the autocorrect algorithms on my Android phone I can easily do more than 60 WPM typing with the touchscreen phone comfortably. Some people do [factorably] more than that, and I can do that on the portrait keyboard.

I could not type that fast on the QWERTY devices I've used (Symbian, WinMo QWERTYs or the BB I just finished trialing).

Phones are pretty bad for typing long emails, anyways, regardless what type of keyboard they have.

I think the email client software in iOS is much better than RIM's, though...
    01-20-11 08:26 AM
    First off..unless a new phone is REALLY needed..then i'd hold off on a potential switch simply because the new iPhone will be released by summer..at which point you will probably have some buyers remorse for not waiting. If you want to switch and can hold out..i'd wait until the new one drops..although i'm sure you could pick up the i4 and then sell it for decent cash and just buy the new i5 whenever it does drop.

From your list..i'd say since you only do about 20% web browsing..then you might be best to stick with BB..unless those sites are slow and awkward to view..in which case you might be better served to upgrade to a useable browser.

As far as Whatsapp goes..it's a great alternative to BBM..and is superior to it imo simply because it's CROSS PLATFORM. Delivered/Read notification, Pics/Vids/Voice notes all able to be shared, as well as customizable icons for people. The ONLY thing it doesn't have that BBM has is group chat. I use Whatsapp to chat with my current BB friends, my wife's i4, and my friends who joined me on Androids. BBM is really a non-issue with me anymore.
    Well browsing on a Blackberry is not as good as on iOS, so how she uses her phone will most likely change if she was to switch platforms.

That's the tricky issue, and that's why going by usage metrics really isn't a reliable way to make a suggestion.

It's best to go by what the user values in their smartphone/smartphone OS. When you move from one device/platform to another, your usage is almost guaranteed to change somewhat, if not dramatically.
    01-20-11 08:29 AM
    If half of your usage is messaging I would recommend sticking with BB. Again it is a personal preference. My usage is about 50/60 percent messaging and email and I tried an EVO and was just miserable with a touchscreen keyboard. I know the Iphone my have a better on screen keyboard than android but im just not a fan of touchscreen typing. You really just have to weigh out if you prefer a physical keyboard and easier messaging device over a better display and better games etc. and a less productive (for most) messaging and email device.
    01-20-11 08:49 AM
    At first the virtual keyboard is a pain, but you get accustomed to it and it works really well. I was a bb user and then made the switch to android. It was easier than I thought. Bbm is the only thing that I miss. But if you get your contacts to start using gtalk you will eliminate that problem.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make. Good Luck with you decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 09:13 AM
    The OP should stay on BB just given the information she gave in the OP (he or she). The question is largely rhetorical, AFAICT.

However, everyone who set a world record for the fastest texting/typing on a mobile phone did it on a touchscreen phone.

With the autocorrect algorithms on my Android phone I can easily do more than 60 WPM typing with the touchscreen phone comfortably. Some people do [factorably] more than that, and I can do that on the portrait keyboard.

I could not type that fast on the QWERTY devices I've used (Symbian, WinMo QWERTYs or the BB I just finished trialing).

Phones are pretty bad for typing long emails, anyways, regardless what type of keyboard they have.

I think the email client software in iOS is much better than RIM's, though...
    You really shouldn't offer your opinions anymore especially about typing on a blackberry, no wonder you were so slow if you dint even know about the basics.

In the real world typing on a physical qwerty keyboard will always be much faster ie typing when standing up in a bus, as a passenger in a moving car, while walking down the street, in cold/hot weather when your fingers are unresponsive/sweaty, in direct sunlight etc etc etc

01-20-11 09:17 AM
    In the real world typing on a physical qwerty keyboard will always be much faster ie typing when standing up in a bus, as a passenger in a moving car, while walking down the street, in cold/hot weather when your fingers are unresponsive/sweaty, in direct sunlight etc etc etc

Lol..not sure what world i'm living in..but I can assure you..MOST people can type quicker using a virtual keyboard using some sort of predictive text software than people on a physical keyboard. I know SOME people prefer the physical..and for them they can type quicker..but don't make assumptions.

Here's a link comparing Swiftkey (on Android) vs the native virtual keyboard (on Android).

EDIT: This dude is crazy fast on his BB though..I will say that!

Last edited by Rickroller; 01-20-11 at 09:37 AM.
    01-20-11 09:27 AM
    I don't usually get into staying / leaving threads but I just had a event that gave the scales a tip to other platforms.. Google maps 4.5.2 loaded on my storm 2, which I like for larger screen, would like a torch but I'm not ATT but VZ.. Another issue in itself. But gmaps won't use screen gestures unless I'm in compatibility mode.. hey now if I wanted half a screen of display I'd go with a bold.. (no offense u guys/gals).

It's BB lags on app features released, over the past couple years I've see options being released for iOS / Andoid way before BB if they ever get here.
    I don't need every tweak but certain ones are what it's about.

My BB is a solid well made device with good [email protected] web browsing is worthless (almost unless you stay on mobile sites)... GPS / maps are so so depending how you use them.. as others said BBM/texting all have alternatives. Yes it makes calls, pushes email, and I've loaded so decent(but not as good as other platform) fitness and outdoor apps..

I'm due in the near future for a upgrade, I'll prob wait for some LTE devices to drop which will probably leave BB out, though if Rim does well.. I can always come back to the fold in 2-3 years (with the new renewal plans announced it makes selecting a phone much more sensitive to ones needs since you now live with it for some time to come)
    01-20-11 09:36 AM
    Lol..not sure what world i'm living in..but I can assure you..MOST people can type quicker using a virtual keyboard using some sort of predictive text software than people on a physical keyboard. I know SOME people prefer the physical..and for them they can type quicker..but don't make assumptions.

Here's a link comparing Swiftkey (on Android) vs the native virtual keyboard (on Android).

Lol, you call that fast? That is sloooow! Not to mention it assumes you want to write correctly, most people don't especially when texting, you know: u, m8, 2nite etc etc

And another thing, have you ever used autotext on a blackberry? Example type il then hit space, it will get changed to I'll and so on for as many as you want to set up.

01-20-11 09:40 AM
    Lol, you call that fast? That is sloooow! Not to mention it assumes you want to write correctly, most people don't especially when texting, you know: u, m8, 2nite etc etc

And another thing, have you ever used autotext on a blackberry? Example type il then hit space, it will get changed to I'll and so on for as many as you want to set up.

It wasn't to show how "fast" it is..but a comparison as to how predictive software can save time from traditionally hitting each keystroke. And yes..i'm aware of autotext. This feature is available on other platforms as well. And people who text or type using m8, u, 2nite etc instead of proper grammar (which can be programmed as well I know) should be slapped imo.
    01-20-11 10:18 AM
    I know many people prefer a virtual keyboard (or at least have gotten quite proficient with them), but I need a physical keyboard for anything more than a brief text. That's pretty much what steered me away from the iPhone and Captivate, plus I just like how BB's work and are laid out. I could easily live without BBM - I never use it and get by just fine with SMS. And I find the differences between the BB OS6 browser and iPhone's to be negligible (but OS6 browser is exponentially better than OS5).

If you can live with only a virtual keyboard and think you'll make use of the availability of the infinite number of apps, you may be better off with an iPhone. But if you like your BB and are comfortable with it, and need a physical keyboard (for frequent lengthy emails, for wxample), I'd have to recommend the Torch.

01-20-11 10:24 AM
    If you used the web more then I would say go for the iphone, BUT since you message more, I say stick with the device with the keyboard, stick with BB!
    01-20-11 10:24 AM
    I send about 4000 texts a month, and there's one simple reason why I'll never get an iPhone as my main communication device: text notification.

I must say that it's great for media though, and I'd get an iPhone for media over an Android device.
    01-20-11 11:30 AM
    Wow....didn't think I was gonna start such a fast growing thread. I just read some reviews and comparisons and wanted to know if I was missing something that would tip the scales one way or another. Yes I know I have to make the decision myself, but to do so I needed info which is why I posted the question.

I also wonder, would I browse more if I were able to do so in a more expedited manner. I know my curve (8330) is older, but the browser is painfully slow. Sometimes so slow I just wait till I get can get to my desktop or laptop if I have to do anything of significance online. Would that change? Maybe, or maybe not.

Am I going to see a big difference going from my current phone to a 9780 or Torch? Is the browser with OS6 easier to use or is it just marginally faster/better? I would love to actually use a 9780 or 9800 thats active. All the stores around here are just display models that don't even turn on so you can't even get a feel for how they operate just navigating around the phone. No one I know has a newer BB, so I have never been able to actually play with one to see how much better it is than my current phone.
    01-20-11 12:20 PM

The stock android keyboard does what autotext does. Autotext isn't even with mentioning.

That is part of the reason why the virtual kerds are better than those cramped keyboards. Most people can probably do over 80 wpm. After they take.the swype tutorial.

Last edited by N8ter; 01-20-11 at 12:26 PM.
    01-20-11 12:23 PM

Are you satisfied with what you are using? If yes why switch? If not, choose the device best suited for you.
    01-20-11 12:25 PM
    Wow....didn't think I was gonna start such a fast growing thread. I just read some reviews and comparisons and wanted to know if I was missing something that would tip the scales one way or another. Yes I know I have to make the decision myself, but to do so I needed info which is why I posted the question.

I also wonder, would I browse more if I were able to do so in a more expedited manner. I know my curve (8330) is older, but the browser is painfully slow. Sometimes so slow I just wait till I get can get to my desktop or laptop if I have to do anything of significance online. Would that change? Maybe, or maybe not.

Am I going to see a big difference going from my current phone to a 9780 or Torch? Is the browser with OS6 easier to use or is it just marginally faster/better? I would love to actually use a 9780 or 9800 thats active. All the stores around here are just display models that don't even turn on so you can't even get a feel for how they operate just navigating around the phone. No one I know has a newer BB, so I have never been able to actually play with one to see how much better it is than my current phone.
    Install the Bolt browser on your 8330, it's a lot faster then the standard OS4.5 or OS5 and even the OS6 browsers. I do most of my browsing on the standard one but when I know I have to visit a heavy page I go to Bolt.

01-20-11 12:38 PM

You will absolutely see a big difference when switch from your 8330 to a Torch. I used to have an 8330 and my Storm 2, which is a year or more older, is much faster than the old curve.

Based on what you want, I would get a newer blackberry. I use my S2 for a lot of browsing even though I know the newer bb's and the iphone are better. If you are messaging first and media second, stay BB.
    01-20-11 12:40 PM
    The stock android keyboard does what autotext does. Autotext isn't even with mentioning.

That is part of the reason why the virtual kerds are better than those cramped keyboards. Most people can probably do over 80 wpm. After they take.the swype tutorial.

Wow, you really have no idea about blackberry do you? Autotext is not what you think, Android doesn't have it. You can program it when you type a letter or two then hit space the text will be changed to what ever you want, even a sentence, example: type "ilt" then space and you can have it change automatically to "I'll be late tonight" or whatever you want it. Many of them are pre-programmed, try ld- locat date lt-local time, mypin- the blackberry pin and many many others.
    Seriously, you really have no idea.

01-20-11 12:46 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD