Have owned a Z10 for 3 years. Want an upgrade. Not a heavy user. Mainly phone, text, etc. My carrier - both phones $0.00. Which would be better for my purpose? Tnx.
    09-12-16 02:26 PM
    From your very brief description, both would do the job quite well. If you want to future-proof yourself, the DTek is a no-brainer.
    yrfthl likes this.
    09-12-16 02:27 PM
    Not sure how much of an "upgrade" the LEAP would be over the Z10... basically the same hardware. Other than a larger screen and bigger battery.

The DTEK is a move to Android, and while it is not cutting edge hardware, I think from the 3/4 year old specs the Z10 was built on... it is newer.

Think it really comes down to are you wanting to stay with BB10 to the end, or jump ship and try Android.
    09-12-16 02:44 PM
    Kinda figured so. Can get Samsung 7 for free. But have to switch carriers. Should quit reading all the pros and cons. Makes choice harder. Haha.
    09-12-16 02:44 PM
    Stay with Blackberry
    09-12-16 02:45 PM
    Stay with Blackberry
    I pledge, I will
    09-12-16 03:54 PM
    BB10 Os is awesome. The Leap!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 04:11 PM
    The key difference here is access to apps. If apps are no big deal for you, I would go with the Leap. Better battery life, the screen resolution is basically the same, and you won't have to go through the hassle of setting up a Google account etc. Additional bonus: it's actually designed and built by BlackBerry.
    BTW sounds like your carrier is pushing you to Android. The Leap should definitely cost less and if both are 0$ (on a plan) you are getting ripped off on the Leap option for sure.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    yrfthl likes this.
    09-12-16 04:28 PM
    The leap.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 05:27 PM
    DTEK!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 05:34 PM
    Is this even a question. BlackBerry has abandoned bb10 so why would jump on an OS that has seen better data with no improvement coming at all?
    Xeak likes this.
    09-12-16 06:30 PM
    From your description either phone will work fine. Personally I like bb10 better, but with both phones the same price at your carrier, the Dtek sounds like the better value. ( the Leap should cost significantly less than the newer Dtek as it does on shop blackberry and most other places. )

As an aside, I was holding both phones side by side at a store on the weekend and while both look similar from the front, it is remarkable how much lighter and thinner the Dtek is. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 06:34 PM
    DTEK50 because it's worth more. Get it from your carrier then sell it right away. Then buy a Leap and pocket the extra couple hundred bucks.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 08:19 PM
    You should be able to buy a used Leap for less than 80 bucks cdn.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-13-16 at 01:42 AM.
    09-12-16 08:42 PM
    I've been thinking about this too and knowing that BB10 OS is likely going to end I think it's safer to choose Dtek50.
    09-13-16 02:50 AM
    But looking at my Z10 right now its still fast so for sure Leap will be the same until BB10 OS goes EOL.
    09-13-16 03:02 AM
    Dtek.

The leap would be a downgrade. You would be buying into a dead platform that developers and businesses are abandoning by the day. Dont expect any updates for this phone anytime soon. And in 2016, updates not applied to even a browser will mean less compatibility. Ever notice the growing number of sites that don't work well with the z10? Thats why.

The Dtek is more future proof, and will have access to infinitely more apps, and you will have no problem getting accessories, support and updates.

Think of it like buying a new car. Would you go with the 1983 station wagon with wood paneling, or the 2016 crossover? The old one might be bigger, but that's it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    1khalid likes this.
    09-13-16 06:47 AM
    The average user buys a new phone on average every year and a half or so. BB10 should be usable for at least that long. Its not like its a life long commitment.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 09:55 AM
    The average user buys a new phone on average every year and a half or so. BB10 should be usable for at least that long. Its not like its a life long commitment.

Posted via CB10
    Regardless of how you feel about the usefulness of bb10, it's very difficult in good conscience to recommend one right now.
    Carjackd and 1khalid like this.
    09-13-16 10:02 AM
    Regardless of how you feel about the usefulness of bb10, it's very difficult in good conscience to recommend one right now.
    Exactly right. I still love BB10 and have many uses for it. But I'm not normal.

It's just not fair to recommend BB10 to people any more. Hasn't been for quite some time actually.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 10:07 AM
    Everyone knows that, somehow some people aren't really willing to accept that.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-13-16 10:30 AM
    I disagree that most people buy a new phone every two years. The trend now is to keep your monthly contract as low as possible. It is the obsolescence of the software that is driving the need to buy a new phone.
    09-13-16 10:35 AM
    Agreed. I think the author needs to take all the comments into consideration and figure out what works best for him/her. There are numerous factors in play, including your financial situation and your risk tolerance.

No one knows for sure how long BB10 will last and its future doesn't look extremely promising. Don't get me wrong, I love the OS, but unfortunately, the market never loved it. So, if you love the OS, you can take a chance, but who knows how long it will be before you may need to buy another phone. Hence, the risk tolerance and financial position. You may need to buy a new phone in the interim.

The risk tolerance also comes into play in regards to security. How much do you value your security and whether you feel that Android (vanilla or BlackBerry secured) provides sufficient safeguards for you? This may lead to a debate as to whether BB10 is truly more secure than Android, but I digress.

At the end of the day, evaluate the pros and cons of each and make an informed decision. Good luck. Let us know what you go with and whether you are happy.
    09-13-16 10:35 AM
    Exactly right. I still love BB10 and have many uses for it. But I'm not normal.

It's just not fair to recommend BB10 to people any more. Hasn't been for quite some time actually.

Posted via CB10
    I still love BB10 and am completely happy with it, but I would only recommend it to someone under very specific conditions. My wife recently switched to BB10 from iOS, and she is much, much happier, but she detested iOS. She tries to keep her phone silent and in her bag 90% of the time, and primarily uses it for phone, email and BBM. She sometimes misses access to FB messenger in the Hub, but is otherwise happy. She is running stock BB10 with almost no apps and no workarounds.

Most consumers these days want and expect access either Apple or Android's app stores. I wouldn't recommend BB10 to anyone who cares about that kind of app access unless they were power users who really didn't want Android or iOS and could deal with the app workarounds on their own.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 11:14 AM
    I recently bought both Dtek50 and Leap. The former is for me and the latter is for my significant other. I had a Q10 and he had an old Samsung Rugby 2 flip phone. Anyway long story short, he still uses a Playbook tablet so I figured he should be able to handle the leap to the Leap (pun intended). After a few days, he now loves it. I set it up for him and frankly this phone is fantastic. If Dtek50 wasn't available I would've bought one for myself also. Anyway, as for me, I'm loving the Dtek50 because of the form (so svelte!) and the Play Store apps. I didn't realize how much I needed the apps until I moved to Dtek50. That's unfortunate and I guess it's a fact of life for most people. These apps to me are now the norm. Gotta have the google services. So I guess it's entirely up to you OP. Are apps important to you? If so, Dtek50 is the answer. If not, then the Leap is the answer.
    09-13-16 10:30 PM
49 12