This newest round of layoffs now means that I will hold off buying a Priv to replace my Z30 a little longer, if ever. It is clear bb10 will be eol at some point, but it is less clear whether BlackBerry will continue in the handset business (Android). I'm not sure I want to buy a Priv only to see it orphaned, ie. no updates of os, apps, etc.

My university aged daughter has been holding out for the possible Vienna to replace her Q10 and my wife is holding out to replace her Q5 as well.

All three of us are eligible to upgrade now; although we're not heavy app users, there are some we would like to have, and others that used to work no longer do, so staying with bb10 much longer is less desirable for us. Not sure what devices we will get, but the possibility of those devices being BlackBerry diminish with each passing day. There must be others like us.

If Priv gets Marshmallow, and the Vienna is released perhaps I will be less doubtful.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 01:26 PM
    This newest round of layoffs now means that I will hold off buying a Priv to replace my Z30 a little longer, if ever. It is clear bb10 will be eol at some point, but it is less clear whether BlackBerry will continue in the handset business (Android). I'm not sure I want to buy a Priv only to see it orphaned, ie. no updates of os, apps, etc.

My university aged daughter has been holding out for the possible Vienna to replace her Q10 and my wife is holding out to replace her Q5 as well.

All three of us are eligible to upgrade now; although we're not heavy app users, there are some we would like to have, and others that used to work no longer do, so staying with bb10 much longer is less desirable for us. Not sure what devices we will get, but the possibility of those devices being BlackBerry diminish with each passing day. There must be others like us.

If Priv gets Marshmallow, and the Vienna is released perhaps I will be less doubtful.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like the smart play.
    02-06-16 01:39 PM
    Marshmallow development is well underway - it's MUCH too early for BlackBerry to bail on Android devices yet.

Absolutely worst case, you have a high end device with Android M for the next couple of years.
    Last edited by conite; 02-06-16 at 02:38 PM.
    Laura Knotek and gravymonster like this.
    02-06-16 01:46 PM
    Marshmallow development is well underway - it's MUCH too early to bail on Android devices yet.

Absolutely worst case, you have a high end device with Android M for the next couple of years.
    He's not bailing though, just waiting for Marshmallow and Vienna.
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    02-06-16 02:19 PM
    Marshmallow development is well underway - it's MUCH too early to bail on Android devices yet.

Actually its never to early to bail.
    02-06-16 02:19 PM
    He's not bailing though, just waiting for Marshmallow and Vienna.
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    I meant BlackBerry wasn't going to bail this early.
    02-06-16 02:37 PM
    I meant BlackBerry wasn't going to bail this early.
    Got it.
    If the sales for calendar q1 really tank maybe they should though.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 02:46 PM
    The Priv is a solid phone. If you're already a BlackBerry fan then there isn't another phone you'll like better I don't think. So even if BlackBerry closes shop this afternoon I don't think you'll prefer any other phone out there. The Priv is an android phone but it's still enough of a BlackBerry you don't feel like you left.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-06-16 04:05 PM
    It makes sense for the family to stay on the same platform. All our family except myself are on the iPhone. Other families are all in Android. Somehow it just seems to work better that way. I guess money talks here too. Three iPhones or PRIV's would be a major expense. On that note check out the deals on plans and devices offered by Costco.

I was going to wait for the Vienna too but ended up getting a high quality Android at a good price over Christmas. Still using the BlackBerry as a WIFI device.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 04:20 PM
    It makes sense for the family to stay on the same platform. All our family except myself are on the iPhone. Other families are all in Android. Somehow it just seems to work better that way. I guess money talks here too. Three iPhones or PRIV's would be a major expense. On that note check out the deals on plans and devices offered by Costco.

I was going to wait for the Vienna too but ended up getting a high quality Android at a good price over Christmas. Still using the BlackBerry as a WIFI device.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, all of us except my teenage son (Nexus 6P) are on bb10. Quite frankly the Priv would be overkill for my wife, and my daughter really likes the pkb, but finds the Priv too big.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 04:56 PM
    The Priv is a solid phone. If you're already a BlackBerry fan then there isn't another phone you'll like better I don't think. So even if BlackBerry closes shop this afternoon I don't think you'll prefer any other phone out there. The Priv is an android phone but it's still enough of a BlackBerry you don't feel like you left.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Good points to be sure, but if BlackBerry closes shop today, there is a guarantee that the BlackBerry apps won't be updated, and who knows about the OS. At least if BlackBerry shows that they see a future for them in Android phones, there's still a glimmer of hope for updates.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 04:59 PM
    The Priv is an android phone but it's still enough of a BlackBerry you don't feel like you left
    Yes, it even has the red flashing LED that I could never do without.

BB, Still the One
    02-07-16 11:08 AM
    Yes, it even has the red flashing LED that I could never do without.
    When I moved to WinPhone, that flashing LED was the biggest single thing that I missed from my BB phone.

True story.
    02-07-16 01:12 PM
    I think you have the right idea. Better to see how things shake out rather than jump the gun and get burned.

To me it isn't looking great for the handset business and I personally don't see the Priv saving them at this point. But maybe just maybe it will.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    02-07-16 05:29 PM