I think many of us had built up very high expectations of what was going to happen. I will still get the Z10 when it comes to store shelves in America. I haven't fully watched the even as I had to take time away yesterday for an emergency and then my power went out. I'm still in the dark

The good news is several of the highly sought after apps are coming to BBM.

I'll likely be adding a line to get an SG3 though, I need something new

Would have been awesome had they said "we will launch globally in all markets effective (same date)
    01-31-13 06:35 AM
    Yes the launch was underwhelming. But you have to leave room for advertising - having some "oh wows" for later.

The "how to" videos on BB website are awesome. You can really see how intuitive the OS is. We'll probably see commercials highlighting some of the unmentiomed features.

Looking at ALL the cool feature of the phone, there's no way you could have fit that into an hour.

Its the best OS out IMO.
    01-31-13 06:43 AM
    I got to watch the launch last night on my Playbook. I became a Blackberry fan because of the Playbook which I bought in September. However, my cell is Android. I watched last night as a general consumer because my upgrade on my cell is on March 1st and wanted to see what the phones were about and see what my next phone will be. Since I do keep my phones for the full two years and do not do early upgrades, this is a big decision for me. Unfortunately, I am still on the fence. I will really need to see the Z10 in the Sprint store and see it hands on before any decision is made. The launch did not sway me either way. I did think it was lackluster and a bit awkward (especially when the other guy was on and they were talking about vacations). However, Thorsten is smart and knows what he is doing, he just isn't the best public speaker. I know he was excited but it did not translate well yesterday. The audience did not help, they seemed like they were sleeping and needed prompting from Thorsten to clap. Alicia Keys and her role is just useless to me, though, it was a good marketing tool to get a big name to push Blackberry.

I was impressed with many of the features of the phones and I am excited to at least try it out before committing. That is where I stand at this point. I wish it was different and I knew 100% I was going with a Blackberry but I am not there yet.
    01-31-13 06:48 AM
    I actually thought what would hold back this platform were the apps.
    I was super stoked to read yesterday that uTorrent Remote is coming to BlackBerry.
    Then they announce Skype. Games people want, at least some of them.
    Overall I have to say they really executed on apps to a degree.

Unfortunately I think they dropped the ball big time in a few other ways.
    I was looking forward to Balance, now I find out its only in a BES environment? Why can't I CHOOSE to apply it how I want?
    No more BIS, no more data compression? This is huge for BlackBerries and they drop it with it hardly mentioned in the presentation?
    Notifications are less comprehensive than legacy? Bedside mode is all or nothing? So basically a giant silent mode?
    No control of LED at launch?
    Awful maps.
    Sub par camera sensor, possibly the worst sensor available today.
    No clarity on whether UMA is there or not.
    And the States gets the devices 2 months later? Wow. Just wow. You can't blame carriers, I mean, if it was just the carriers, then the device would be available Sim Free. If its not, its all on BlackBerry.
    These are just inexcusable problems.

The worst part is the Q device was hardly sold at all. That looks deadly, but they have no release date. Thats insane. After all these delays, to not even have a date for the Q device, and then to claim these delays were for carrier partnerships to be strong, then say the device cant be released cos carriers aren't on board, its just silly.

A lot of people may go to the Z10 from other BlackBerries. But its a SwiftKey keyboard. Ive used a Swiftkey Keyboard. If anything, its better than the alternatives, but its still not match for the tactile feel of a physical. And SwiftKey on Android is arguably better for fast typists, cos the space inference offers multiple options. Space inference on BB10 doesnt, so it will be faster for single word choices, not fast typing.

They didn't hype anything about innovative text selection. I was expecting something nifty, like the keyboard device allowing for you to hold the control button on the keyboard, and drag the screen to select text. Now that would be innovative. That would make up for the lack of a trackpad. From reviews, the text selection is awful.

The problem is BlackBerry seem to have forgotten who they are, and who to target.
    Keyboard device being delayed months is a slap in the face to productivity.
    Lack of trackpad is a slap in the face to productivity.
    Bad battery life is a slap in the face to productivity.
    The fact that the possibility of a lack of push email is even being talked about is horrible. And you can't blame Gellar, if the default setting, as Kevin mentioned in his review, is to have 15 minute polling, then thats what the majority of users will have activated. And they will be disappointed. This is a BlackBerry's problem, and fault.

Overall, I wouldn't say BlackBerry is dead, but they have done an incredible job to negating all their strong points, physical keyboard, BIS, notifications, bedside mode, productivity, and basically gone to a more iOS/Android wannabe, but without the apps. The worst of both worlds. That's a severe lack of focus, and one they will most likely pay for in the long run. I think things will pick up once the Q device launches, but, being in the UK, and a BlackBerry fan, I have no interest in picking up a Z10 today. That's sad. I had the money set aside waiting to be sold on it. I'm not.

Also, I think people from this forum going on other sites and slagging off people offering an opinion is a shame. Thunderbuck has left a pointless and abusive message on BGR's review, and loads of other people have done the same on other sites. Just makes BlackBerry lovers look sad.
    Last edited by bobauckland; 01-31-13 at 07:28 AM.
    01-31-13 06:55 AM
    The launch was flat and uninspiring yet the products themselves (Z10/Q10) were solid and functional.

Will it afect sales of BB10 ? Maybe. Has RIMM/BB done enough to create a new & distinctive alternative to the iOS/Android prison ecosystem ? Time will tell.
    01-31-13 06:58 AM
    Not impressed by the presentation.

Too much focus on the hub, and every feed in one place. Guess what? I'll bet a lot of us don't see it as a feature. I know i don't. I get hunderds of emails a day. i just don't want to have to go through texts from my kids, and tweeter feed and BBMs to see my emails.

I've also heard from a couple of tech reporters that the battery life is less than stellar. One of them claimed it would not last the day.
    01-31-13 07:18 AM
    I actually thought what would hold back this platform were the apps.
    I was super stoked to read yesterday that uTorrent Remote is coming to BlackBerry.
    Then they announce Skype. Games people want, at least some of them.
    Overall I have to say they really executed on apps to a degree.

Unfortunately I think they dropped the ball big time in a few other ways.
    I was looking forward to Balance, now I find out its only in a BES environment? Why can't I CHOOSE to apply it how I want? Balance IS and has been a corporate function. This is just a new way of implementing it.
    No more BIS, no more data compression? This is huge for BlackBerries and they drop it with it hardly mentioned in the presentation? Pricing on plans is going to be the big thing here
    Notifications are less comprehensive than legacy? Bedside mode is all or nothing? So basically a giant silent mode? Notification volume cannot be changed for apps/individuals, but the tones themselves can. Bedside mode is indeed all or nothing.
    No control of LED at launch? Define control of LED? Wouldnt this be more of a third party thing? You can turn LED notifications OFF in the sounds/alerts.
    Awful maps. I enjoy the maps. They can add additional features, but it does give turn by turn gps audible directions quite well.
    Sub par camera sensor, possibly the worst sensor available today. I have had pretty good results with the camera, not amazing, but I would classify as "good"
    And the States gets the devices 2 months later? Wow. Just wow. You can't blame carriers, I mean, if it was just the carriers, then the device would be available Sim Free. If its not, its all on BlackBerry.
    These are just inexcusable problems. The carriers ARE the ones holding up this process. US carrier testing is much more stringent than other countries. It takes longer, and if the carriers dont like it, they send it back all the way to the beginning.

The worst part is the Q device was hardly sold at all. That looks deadly, but they have no release date. Thats insane. After all these delays, to not even have a date for the Q device, and then to claim these delays were for carrier partnerships to be strong, then say the device cant be released cos carriers aren't on board, its just silly. Release dates are by carrier. The Q will be 30-60 days after the Zed.

A lot of people may go to the Z10 from other BlackBerries. But its a SwiftKey keyboard. Ive used a Swiftkey Keyboard. If anything, its better than the alternatives, but its still not match for the tactile feel of a physical. And SwiftKey on Android is arguably better for fast typists, cos the space inference offers multiple options. Space inference on BB10 doesnt, so it will be faster for single word choices, not fast typing. It is a significant step forward for touch screens. Use the keyboard and then decide. I can type 50-60wpm on a piece of glass, up significantly from the 40ish prior. I dont have to take my time typing, and it has noticeably improved when i "hit" the wrong key. Also the space inference does work on multiple words quite well.

They didn't hype anything about innovative text selection. I was expecting something nifty, like the keyboard device allowing for you to hold the control button on the keyboard, and drag the screen to select text. Now that would be innovative. That would make up for the lack of a trackpad. From reviews, the text selection is awful. I agree here

The problem is BlackBerry seem to have forgotten who they are, and who to target. Partially agree
    Keyboard device being delayed months is a slap in the face to productivity. Keyboard device was never to be released at the same time. It was to be released close to the same time
    Lack of trackpad is a slap in the face to productivity. I dont miss it at all
    Bad battery life is a slap in the face to productivity. The battery is better than the 99xx series
    The fact that the possibility of a lack of push email is even being talked about is horrible. And you can't blame Gellar, if the default setting, as Kevin mentioned in his review, is to have 15 minute polling, then thats what the majority of users will have activated. And they will be disappointed. This is a BlackBerry's problem, and fault. There is an option to support push, just as on iOS. If push is not available it will be the same thing as iOS or Android, 15 minute polling. No difference here.

Overall, I wouldn't say BlackBerry is dead, but they have done an incredible job to negating all their strong points, physical keyboard, BIS, notifications, bedside mode, productivity, and basically gone to a more iOS/Android wannabe, but without the apps. The worst of both worlds. That's a severe lack of focus, and one they will most likely pay for in the long run. I think things will pick up once the Q device launches, but, being in the UK, and a BlackBerry fan, I have no interest in picking up a Z10 today. That's sad. I had the money set aside waiting to be sold on it. I'm not. Go use the device for 20-30 minutes before you make decisions. This goes for ANY device you want to purchase.

Also, I think people from this forum going on other sites and slagging off people offering an opinion is a shame. Thunderbuck has left a pointless and abusive message on BGR's review, and loads of other people have done the same on other sites. Just makes BlackBerry lovers look sad. I havent look at this at all. Let people believe what they want, and use the device for what they want
    01-31-13 07:26 AM
    It is a great BlackBerry. But it is NOT the revolutionary device that so many are bragging about (like they built it).
    It will sell well. I presentation was mediocre. No energy at all in New York. The stock markets spoke for themselves.
    Is the Z10 going to save RIM sorry BlackBerry. Not sure. Have to wait 3 months to see sales figures

There are so many things that my Lumia 920 (using that horrible Windows Phone 8 that no one uses) does better and faster than the Z10. Like selecting multiple e-mails out of sequence to be deleted. Like being able to change the font size of the e-mail message (NOT JUST CHANGE THE SIZE OF THE MENU ITEM).

And no wireless charging. RIM missed a big leapfrog there. Spoke to them about that yesterday.

There's a reason they didn;'t show the browser. It is just like every other premium phone browser. Sure, compared to BB7 it is great, but it is so similar to the SGS III and Lumia browsers that it isn't a differentiator.

I SO MUCH WANT TO LOVE THE Z10 (I would prefer the Q10 but that's not out for 3 months) THAT THIS IS DISAPPOINTING.

I am sure some will be lining up for it. I hope everyone loves it. I hope BlackBerry profits and survives.

I think this was overhyped (by people here) and underdelivered.
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH disappointed with this, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, should have done this..BLAH, BLAH, BLAH three months for Q10, another true, hardcore, I love BB fan shows out....
    01-31-13 07:27 AM
    After thinking more on it, it really wasn't a well thought out event. I was impressed by some of the demos esp the kb and the hub. They spent too much time on things every other platform does and has had. BBM video chat, OK that's good but only works with another bb and not sure if it does any more than the others around. Too many awkward moments. They touched on the mobile computing platform but not enough and true multitasking which may or may not be an advantage. I think they still harp too much on "people who do" but I do understand that enterprise is their bread and butter but they also showed the fun stuff is there too.

Overall I do think they showed that it is a much better OS and they have come a long way but it is still a work in progress. I will still more than likely get one come contract time.
    01-31-13 07:32 AM
    The pricing of plans doesn't matter. They dont get the benefit of BIS compression. The plans are the same as other platforms. The push of legacy is gone. Thats a step backwards.

If you're targetting consumers, Balance should be available to everyone. No reason at all why it isn't.

LED color control isn't available yet.

The Q device was never promised to be first, I agree. But I still feel this is a mistake.

American carriers can be as stringent as they want.
    If the device is certified safe, there's no reason for Sim Free devices not to be offered, like Google does through Play, is there?

RIM should have come out with it's own email system, that would have been great, I'd happily switch from Gmail, instead we get a step back with not even BlackBerry emails continued.

My Android device does not have 15 minute polling. I would bet Google will make sure Push works properly on their devices, thats the advantage of running your OS and email system.

The maps don't offer Transit. I just got back from London, Googles transit system with Tube and Bus integration is amazing, it's near impossible to live without if you're based out of a city like that.

I'm struggling to justify 500 quid on what is basically a toy, and give up my Android tool, and that's not where I should be today.
    01-31-13 08:07 AM
    Balance should be available for everyone.

Sleep mode is is biggie. When I travel, I want my family to be able to reach me. My sleep mode profile is set to kill all notifications (sound and LED) except the phone. I'ts nice to have that kind of profile apply without thinking. Plug the BB in to charge, and it's set.
    01-31-13 08:19 AM
    I have a question. Why do every day people need balance? I don't get that one.

I do agree with profiles.
    01-31-13 08:29 AM
    I have a question. Why do every day people need balance? I don't get that one.

I do agree with profiles.
    If it's an OS feature, why exactly would they not allow people to choose to use it?
    Id like to be able to turn on a work mode, disable certain emails, change of notifications, change of wallpaper, different apps etc.
    Switch to personal mode out of the hospital.
    Pretty daft to hype a feature like that and not make it available to everyone, when there's no real reason.
    01-31-13 08:35 AM
    OK. I don't know but doesn't balance require BES?
    01-31-13 08:56 AM
    OK. I don't know but doesn't balance require BES?
    It does. But that's a choice they've made. That's my point.
    It's like saying you can only have data compression on BES. Or proper BB push. May as well just give up on consumers.
    01-31-13 09:22 AM
    If it's an OS feature, why exactly would they not allow people to choose to use it?
    Id like to be able to turn on a work mode, disable certain emails, change of notifications, change of wallpaper, different apps etc.
    Switch to personal mode out of the hospital.
    Pretty daft to hype a feature like that and not make it available to everyone, when there's no real reason.
    I asked for the same thing a couple of weeks ago at the elites sneak peek and they're looking into it
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-31-13 09:25 AM
    The pricing of plans doesn't matter. They dont get the benefit of BIS compression. The plans are the same as other platforms. The push of legacy is gone. Thats a step backwards.

If you're targetting consumers, Balance should be available to everyone. No reason at all why it isn't. Balance selling point is to corporations for BYOD. It was not designed as a consumer feature.

LED color control isn't available yet. To me, not an issue but I can see why others might want it.

The Q device was never promised to be first, I agree. But I still feel this is a mistake. I wont disagree, but RIM never misled anyone here

American carriers can be as stringent as they want.
    If the device is certified safe, there's no reason for Sim Free devices not to be offered, like Google does through Play, is there? American carriers would be PISSED at RIM for this. Unless a device is certified on their network, they really dont want it on there.

RIM should have come out with it's own email system, that would have been great, I'd happily switch from Gmail, instead we get a step back with not even BlackBerry emails continued. Phasing out BIS was always going to bring this about, not sure why no one brought it up before now.

My Android device does not have 15 minute polling. I would bet Google will make sure Push works properly on their devices, thats the advantage of running your OS and email system. There is a Gmail app that is push, and on the newer versions of Android you may be correct on it being instant. Older versions i know polled if not using the gmail app

The maps don't offer Transit. I just got back from London, Googles transit system with Tube and Bus integration is amazing, it's near impossible to live without if you're based out of a city like that. Great thing is, a Dev can easily tie into the map api and add that for you

I'm struggling to justify 500 quid on what is basically a toy, and give up my Android tool, and that's not where I should be today. That is what everyone needs to decide. Ive used the Z10 for a while now, and I very much like it. Does it have room to improve? Absolutely. Is it a solid offering and, on average, equal to what is out there? To me, it is.
    bobauckland and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-13 09:32 AM
    This is a good post, and, I really think the Z10 will be good down the line once things are tweaked/changed/updated.
    I think the Q device will be great.
    I just think the Z10 is a step backward from OS7 in many ways at the moment, and that's the worst part.
    01-31-13 09:37 AM
    As a former BlackBerry user now Samsung Galaxy SIII user who still has a Playbook I can say there is nothing about BB10 that even remotely tempts me to switch. And given this was do or die they should have had more whizz-bang in the presentation. I actually found out more about the specs from the BlackBerry email.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    01-31-13 09:49 AM
    As a former BlackBerry user now Samsung Galaxy SIII user who still has a Playbook I can say there is nothing about BB10 that even remotely tempts me to switch. And given this was do or die they should have had more whizz-bang in the presentation. I actually found out more about the specs from the BlackBerry email.

I am also one of those...I wonder how many people dropped BB for the GS3? As a former BB user and fan for many years I am not seeing anything either that pulls me away from GS3.
    01-31-13 10:11 AM

I agree. The phone and OS work beautifully together, and NONE of that was shown off.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-31-13 10:11 AM
    It does. But that's a choice they've made. That's my point.
    It's like saying you can only have data compression on BES. Or proper BB push. May as well just give up on consumers.
    Hummmmmm. In the USA all I heard was screaming to get rid of BIS as most thought it was slow compared to other choices. It seems compression isn't such a big deal like it use to be with new technologies. I don't know what true push is, iPhone and android users claim they have been getting their mail just as fast as BB's true push for some time now.
    01-31-13 10:13 AM
    Hummmmmm. In the USA all I heard was screaming to get rid of BIS as most thought it was slow compared to other choices. It seems compression isn't such a big deal like it use to be with new technologies. I don't know what true push is, iPhone and android users claim they have been getting their mail just as fast as BB's true push for some time now.
    I know I do...there is no difference in email delivery time with any of the 3 accounts I use on my GS3 from any BB I have ever owned.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:59 AM
    FSeverino, you are very right. They wasted an hour and failed to wow. I had huge hopes before the presentation; now, I am severely disappointed. I will not be getting a Z10.
    01-31-13 11:06 AM
    Why Blackberry is not going to survive:
    1. Thorstein sold his shares @ 18.17 last week.
    2. He did a terrible presentation just like previous ones. Vivek showed more excitement than Thorstein.
    3. I think if he does make a deal with other parties, it is mainly to enrich himself and the execs and they'll be gone. He shows he could care less about the employees. Seriously, they had lots of time to prepare for this much-anticipated presentation and there was nothing that people didn't already know.
    4. Missing out on the biggest market in the world (USA) is going to affect them big time.
    01-31-13 11:25 AM
128 ... 3456