I'll probably sound ridiculous for asking this, but I KNOW more people than me are wondering the same thing.

What exactly is the huge deal with WiFi?
    I can understand the fact that you could use the WiFi while you're in a low service range, but (speaking personally) if I happen to be in a place with little or no-service, chances are, there isn't any WiFi around for me to use.

Sorry for sounding dumb XD hahaha
    There are MANY reasons, some of which being in an airplane, overseas, basement, home, office, ect... No matter what anyone says, WiFi is faster then even VZ's 3G network. You can also take advantage of future VoIP apps (skype) more easily. WiFi also is better on battery life depending on what your doing.
    07-17-09 08:02 AM
    i dont think it would happen within a 30 day period because everyone would be exchanges there tour for one with wifi maybe next year
    07-17-09 08:05 AM
    There are MANY reasons, some of which being in an airplane, overseas, basement, home, office, ect... No matter what anyone says, WiFi is faster then even VZ's 3G network. You can also take advantage of future VoIP apps (skype) more easily. WiFi also is better on battery life depending on what your doing.
    i still dont buy that, how many airplanes and basements actually have Wifi available. if im at home or the office i would be using my desktop computer to check my email and browse online not my phone.
    07-17-09 11:34 AM
    i still dont buy that, how many airplanes and basements actually have Wifi available. if im at home or the office i would be using my desktop computer to check my email and browse online not my phone.
    almost all of the big airlines are now adding wifi to their flights. why be disconnected for hours while you fly? my basement has wifi, so does the basements of almost all of my friends, where the VZW signal doesnt always penetrate. so rather than going upstairs or asking to borrow their computer, i could just hop on their wifi. when im at home i could take a call while the wifi took care of the data side, thus being able to receive emails and BBM while on a call. additionally, people who have their BES on their phones would benefit from the wifi since they may not be able to log into their work emails on their personal computers. also connectivity to one's home network can be useful for file access/transfers application downloads, etc. it also helps in other countries, where you might not get data connections due to remoteness etc, to be able to just use a hotel's wifi.

i dunno it just seems incredibly useful to me
    07-17-09 11:42 AM
    I've made a promise to myself that I would never state the many positive reasons for Wi-Fi on CB again. There's numerous threads being made with great answers about this topic, and yet it goes over certain peoples head. I just want you to check at least 10 different blog reviews on the Tour, and notice what each review had in common as a Con.
    07-17-09 11:49 AM
    I've made a promise to myself that I would never state the many positive reasons for Wi-Fi on CB again. There's numerous threads being made with great answers about this topic, and yet it goes over certain peoples head. I just want you to check at least 10 different blog reviews on the Tour, and notice what each review had in common as a Con.
    Excellent point if you are going to go by what reviewers and bloggers say for every tiny detail, however I think most people's personal lists of "pros" and "cons" vary from those of the reviewer or blogger. Well, they said it was a "con"! It must be true! Let's agree that we've all heard them say/complain about/rant about some pretty absurd things once or twice during a device review...grain of salt, people, grain of salt.

It boils down to your needs. Personally, even though it's not a deal-breaker for me, I say "why WOULDN'T you want it?" Seriously, why wouldn't you want one more way to access information? You can access the web via wifi on an ipod Touch and not on all mobile phones/PDAs? It's past time for it to happen. Doesn't mean you have to think it's a good idea, or even use it. Won't happen for me on this Tour, but in the future at some point I'll benefit.

I also agree that this conversation is pointless. Nobody is ever going to convince anyone of the benefits/uselessness of wifi until they have a need for it and the light bulb finally goes off.
    07-17-09 12:03 PM
    well it is a useful redundancy and for some people in certain situations, but for the majority of users its not necessary at all. theyre not gonna find much situations where theres no data signal but an open WiFi network. it seems to me that the majority of whiners who says that WiFi is a deal breaker instead of actual users, just want a "cool" phone without having to pay for data services. in which case whats the point of having a smart phone if youre tied down to WiFi. to me for most places that have WiFi id much rather use my netbook.
    07-17-09 12:22 PM
    well it is a useful redundancy and for some people in certain situations, but for the majority of users its not necessary at all. theyre not gonna find much situations where theres no data signal but an open WiFi network. it seems to me that the majority of whiners who says that WiFi is a deal breaker instead of actual users, just want a "cool" phone without having to pay for data services. in which case whats the point of having a smart phone if youre tied down to WiFi. to me for most places that have WiFi id much rather use my netbook.
    You can't prove that the majority of users doesn't care for wi-fi. People purchased the WiFi-less Tour because why should they wait till next year for it? Some had problems with their Storm device, while others had either vintage 8830, 83xx, Pearl, 81xx etc. My next point can't be proven as well, but I bet you the majority in here will upgrade to the Atlas, or try to. I don't understand your point about wanting a cool phone without having to pay for data services either. Please enlighten me on that matter.

@jasonezell: Excellent Post. I agree with you. Just know that while some may praise, others will critique. People didn't believe the loose battery doors either just because the majority said otherwise.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 07-17-09 at 01:06 PM.
    07-17-09 12:29 PM
    You can't prove that the majority of users doesn't care for wi-fi. People purchased the WiFi-less Tour because why should they wait till next year for it? Some had problems with their Storm device, while others had either vintage 8830, 83xx, Pearl, 81xx etc. My next point can't be proven as well, but I bet you the majority in here will upgrade to the Atlas, or try to. I don't understand your point about wanting a cool phone without having to pay for data services either. Please enlighten me on that matter.

@jasonezell: Excellent Post. I agree with you. Just know that while some my praise, others will critique. People didn't believe the loose battery doors either just because the majority said otherwise.
    well considering that RIM has never made a CDMA BB w/WiFi, more and more users continued to use BB without WiFi on Sprint and Verizon all this time. it would be nice to have WiFi available just in case but its no deal breaker.

my point is not that WiFi is completely useless, but for actual users to really think about where they dont get data signal if there are WiFi networks available.
    Last edited by Ragnarok043; 07-17-09 at 01:04 PM.
    07-17-09 12:54 PM
    Just know that while some my praise, others will critique.
    Veritas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 01:18 PM
    wifi is definitely not a necessity as much as it is a bonus/convenience thing. I want verizon to film a dead zone commercial in my house because thats what it is... a dead zone. Sometimes you are sitting in an area of your house that you dont have a computer in and you want to look something up real quick without moving. Maybe you have a sleeping baby or whatever it is and you cant get up.

I'm saying its more convenience than it is need. Its definitely not a deal breaker for me, but wifi is the reason i bought an ipod touch.
    07-17-09 01:19 PM
    I'm saying its more convenience than it is need. Its definitely not a deal breaker for me, but wifi is the reason i bought an ipod touch.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    07-17-09 03:56 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD