How many years would blackberry support the phone with software updates? Are they following the same way as google? (Major updates for 2 years and security patches for 3 years)
    03-29-17 10:04 AM
    Nothing in writing on this at this point... as the future for the Brand is dependent on TCL and the other licensee being able to turn around the sales declines.

But that sounds like a reasonable update cycle.... for both BlackBerry and the companies now responsible for the hardware.
    03-29-17 10:15 AM
    Thanks for the information. If they don't support the device which I would be paying close to 600$(approx) for more than 2 years for major update, it is a deal breaker for me. I had to shift away from my Nexus 5 phone to a iPhone(Which I still don't like) a year ago due to that reason.
    03-29-17 01:29 PM
    ?

The Nexus 5 got 3 years worth of updates...
    03-30-17 02:51 AM
    3 years were security updates. It didn't get Nougat...
    03-30-17 11:11 AM
    The Nexus 5 was released in November 2013. Yes, it didn't get Nougat, but I'm not sure you'd have wanted to run Nougat on N5 hardware. Remember there was a 32-bit to 64-bit transition, and the N5 is on the wrong side of that line, and RAM and storage access is much slower on the N5 than on a modern phone - even a low-end model.

Those kinds of significant hardware/infrastructure transitions don't happen very often, but they do happen, and sometimes you just have to live with it.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-02-17 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the information. If they don't support the device which I would be paying close to 600$(approx) for more than 2 years for major update, it is a deal breaker for me. I had to shift away from my Nexus 5 phone to a iPhone(Which I still don't like) a year ago due to that reason.
    Priv shall get Android N and Priv is year old device
    04-02-17 03:58 PM
    The Nexus 5 was released in November 2013. Yes, it didn't get Nougat, but I'm not sure you'd have wanted to run Nougat on N5 hardware. Remember there was a 32-bit to 64-bit transition, and the N5 is on the wrong side of that line, and RAM and storage access is much slower on the N5 than on a modern phone - even a low-end model.

Those kinds of significant hardware/infrastructure transitions don't happen very often, but they do happen, and sometimes you just have to live with it.
    There you go again, bringing facts into discussions...
    04-02-17 04:14 PM
    Scratches head?

Why did you switch to a phone you didn't like because of software updates? Is there some vital feature you were missing out on?

Android btw is solidly secure. Only real major risk is sideloading and attachments. If you are worried use a virus protector, avoid sideloading, and public wifi.
    04-02-17 11:46 PM
    How many years would blackberry support the phone with software updates? Are they following the same way as google? (Major updates for 2 years and security patches for 3 years)
    I have never kept a phone I liked for less than four years, but that doesn't mean I expect updates for that long. I would expect a stable EOL status so that the phone is usable for a total of 4-5 years, however.

BB10 has more than met my expectations in this regard, so long as 10.3.3 is eventually working properly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-03-17 02:04 PM
    I wouldn't call android solidly secure.. Malware comes in a lot of forms even when browsing.. I am scared of that part if they don't support security updates, OS cannot detect them.. Happens in apps as well... Not all malware can be detected..

I don't mind missing major updates like Nougat(since marshmallow covers a lot of them) security updates are important for me...
    04-03-17 03:15 PM
    Malware for android will surely increase. Mostly its Trojans though, something a saavy user can avoid. The other weakness is the network packet size. Its larger compared to windows. Hence avoiding wifi, and being aware of connections.

All stuff most users aren't aware of, thinking android an unpenetratable platform, or that they'll only get a virus by sideloading.

All I meant, is that without Trojans, android is secure. Its prone to different issues from windows. Mostly user caused security problems.

There is some well rated malware programs though. Sure it won't detect everything, but between caution and that........

Still who knows if BB mobile will still be around in a year. keyone could be a massive flop.
    04-05-17 08:30 AM