Well while I'll admit that the keyboard is one of the key reason I left my higher end Android for my Curve is because of the keyboard and how I think it is much better and easier to type on, the market likes touch screens better and that is what will sell. I suppose this is one of the situations when you want to wonder what is going on in the minds of the masses.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    04-27-12 03:02 PM
    Well while I'll admit that the keyboard is one of the key reason I left my higher end Android for my Curve is because of the keyboard and how I think it is much better and easier to type on, the market likes touch screens better and that is what will sell. I suppose this is one of the situations when you want to wonder what is going on in the minds of the masses.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    I never thought I would like a virtual keypad. However, now that I've used one for a few weeks, I cannot imagine ever using a physical keypad again. I could not sacrifice the screen size. I would only consider a BB10 device with a virtual keypad.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-27-12 03:23 PM
    I completely understand what the vast majority of consumers want, and RIM is very likely going to attempt to give that to them with the first BB10 phone. I hope it works out and they manage to put a dent in iPhone and Android's market share. But there are still significant numbers of us who simply don't care what that vast majority of consumers want. I can't speak for all of them, but I can tell you that if RIM were to suddenly stop making BlackBerry phones with QWERTY keyboards, I would most assuredly stop buying BlackBerry phones. So yes, they would definitely lose at least one customer over this.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 04-27-12 at 05:06 PM.
    04-27-12 03:26 PM
    I have no idea how long it will take, but I expect to see the smartphone with a physical keypad (BlackBerry and otherwise) to go the way of the Smith-Corona typewriter.

04-27-12 03:32 PM
    It's tough one to argue at this point since I can't visualize how cascades and bb10 will interact. With that in mind it's possible that having a smaller screen might actually mute its impact where otherwise it might shine on a larger screen that only an all touch can afford.

But I would also like to argue that with dlna or other wireless interaction with larger screens ( which is already becoming the norm) what better way to interact with image projected from your phone than the hard keyboard that accompanies it. Whether it be a game or a presentation.
    04-27-12 05:07 PM
    I have no idea how long it will take, but I expect to see the smartphone with a physical keypad (BlackBerry and otherwise) to go the way of the Smith-Corona typewriter.

I think smart phones in general will go that way before just keyboard phones as they will all likely be replaced by something completely new, like a D i ck Tracy wrist watch that does everything you never dreamed you'd ever want your phone to do. Or your TV or stereo or home computer or dishwasher.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-27-12 05:10 PM
    Yes, BB10 will be at 1st an all touch experience, but for the faithful keyboard lovers they hopefully have a QWERTY keyboard one lined up soon after. If not, they will lose even more in the smartphone wars....

I personally think they wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot like that. But this is RIM we are talking about.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-12 05:49 PM
    Keyboard phones may be a niche, but they could be RIM 's niche. The keyboard is a Blackberry signature, and whatever its drawbacks, losing the keyboard puts Blackberry phones in direct competition with the iPhone and innumerable, infinitely more sophisticated Android devices. What can RIM possibly offer, in terms of hardware, on an all-touch screen slab?

I don't care if RIM's software engineers include Professor Dumbledore; there is absolutely no chance of BB10 being half as sophisticated or stable as newer versions of Android or iOS at launch. That's just not how a new OS works. The keyboard at least allows some differentiation.

And while it's true that the market clearly prefers touch screen devices, the trend is the opposite when you look just at RIM products. Whether it was the disastrous Storm line, or the pointless touch screen Curve, RIM's attempts to ape the iPhone have been utter failures.

Something like the Torch could be a good compromise. A landscape keyboard with some sort of slider mechanism, or something like the Sidekick swivel screen, or the G1's hinge might work, too.

But committing to a future without keyboards removes a huge differentiating feature, and I cannot fathom a single reason for someone to pick a BB10 slab when it will certainly be outclassed by the iPhone and things like the One X.
    04-27-12 06:36 PM
    Completely agree, if there's no BB10 keyboard model this year I'm going to the iphone 5, used an iphone for 4 years and switched to this 9900 but like others have said, I'm here for the features not for the fanboyism and if rim can't provide, then apple can for me
    04-27-12 07:22 PM
    They don't have to make a BB10 phone with a keyboard. They will not lose a single customer over this. I don't care how angry or betrayed you feel. Where are you going to go? Android? iPhone? No! You are going to keep the phone you have or buy a new BB7 phone. You are not leaving BB over this and they know it.

If, however, they can't build a compelling touchscreen device and ecosystem, there will be no RIM for you to be angry with.
    I can't imagine RIM succeeding with an iPhone me-too device. Apple is just too far ahead in terms of apps and customer experience. Android and Windows provides choice.

How is RIM going to succeed if they don't deliver the best messaging device? And can RIM deliver the best messaging device without a physical keyboard?

And if customers stay on BB7 for lack of a BB10 physical keyboard RIM will be toast.
    Last edited by boldmiata; 04-27-12 at 10:54 PM.
    04-27-12 10:51 PM
    i am interested in BB10. However, I have no interest in a physical kepad.

If the BB10 devices with virtual keypads also feature LTE, all of the well-known apps, and LTE capability, then I am game.
    geogejost likes this.
    04-27-12 11:45 PM
    I think smart phones in general will go that way before just keyboard phones as they will all likely be replaced by something completely new, like a D i ck Tracy wrist watch that does everything you never dreamed you'd ever want your phone to do. Or your TV or stereo or home computer or dishwasher.
    I agree. I think we will see something completely different that does not even involve touchscreens eventually.
    04-28-12 12:21 PM
    I agree that BB must keep the keyboards. My phone is a Torch 9810, which has a larger touch screen and a slide-out keyboard. Having the option of the keyboard is important to me due to the fact that I have a problem with my hand. Sometimes I go all-touch but I usually rely on the keyboard for anything more than a few sentences. If BB completely drops the physical keyboard I'd have to look elsewhere, but I doubt they would really do so..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 02:45 PM
    This argument needs to be broken down to behavioral science. Where do we browse, use fun apps, or do other than business related things? Mostly while at home or if you're an office dweller, at the office when you have free time? We need a blackberry that is capable of being a one handed qwerty for normal business use and then.......we need a micro-tethered (I made that term up) virtual screen. Something that bridges the small screen to a larger, thin, clear screen that maybe clips on top of the bb. Weighs less than a pencil eraser tip and can deliver a large screen experience while using both the devices qwerty and trackpad, coupled with the clip on screens touch capabilities. This screen will need to slide out of the phone for easy safe storage. Now get to it boys. Invent it. Thank you
    geogejost likes this.
    05-04-12 09:28 PM
    Never say never. However I won't get a touch screen. Let's say BB10 has no keyboard....I will keep my 9330. It will be 4 years before it's out of date. So much can happen in that time.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-04-12 09:45 PM
    Maybe to diehard bb users...I'll be honest, touchscreen is not as bad as people are saying. I am used to it on my pb and iphone. Do not be scared of change . In any case, I heard they will appeal to both demog with touch and physical.
    There are bugs in the playbook os were its impossible to get the keyboard to come up

I had keyboard inaccuracies on my iphone and playbpok and auto corrections.

A physical keyboard should be part of the release.
    I wont bbuy a bb without a physical keyboard.
    06-25-12 05:29 AM
    A physical keyboard should be part of the release.
    I wont bbuy a bb without a physical keyboard.
    Noing a keyboard version is coming sometime later, how many other faithful users will just sit this one out? If this first unit was to reignite the base, it should have been a keyboard unit.
    06-25-12 07:46 AM
    A BlackBerry smartphone with Corning's Willow Glass could cater to both the touch-screen-only crowd and the physical keyboard crowd by simply designing the smartphone to in essence be a Torch on one side and a Bold on the other side. As the user flips over the device the application adjusts to the appropriate screen. When not in use, that is the downward-facing screen would blank-out or display a low-intensity BlackBerry logo akin to how the tablet displays the "BlackBerry background" when some applications load. One device to address both user preferences and ideally with a thin form-factor.
    06-25-12 07:46 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD