BlackBerry 10 OS Licensed To Entry Level Devices: Z10, Q10: Photos

Our hardworking and fearless leader here at CrackBerry is being quoted here in this article in same breath as H. Thorsten.
    Article mentioned about the move to license the BB10 platform to other manufacturers
    Spread the goodness of this new BB10 platform, I say
    rav813 likes this.
    02-13-13 06:54 PM
    Wow!!! They killed RIM , they killed the PlayBook and now they are killing the curve...a whole lot of killing going on!!
    02-13-13 07:04 PM
    Yay. I'm awesome! Lol.

Thanks for posting. Never saw that article.
    02-13-13 07:15 PM
    Wow!!! They killed RIM , they killed the PlayBook and now they are killing the curve...a whole lot of killing going on!!
    PlayBook just got an update today.
    02-13-13 07:15 PM
    Yeah I noticed that you can't download any of the new games in BlackBerry world for the PlayBook. There was no mention of it at the launch, They said it will get BlackBerry10 "later this year" Don't get me wrong I love the device but BlackBerry does not lol.
    PlayBook just got an update today.
    02-13-13 07:32 PM
    What she said....and I'm not just saying that because I love her and Valentines Day is tomorrow
    Yeah I noticed that you can't download any of the new games in BlackBerry world for the PlayBook. There was no mention of it at the launch, They said it will get BlackBerry10 "later this year" Don't get me wrong I love the device but BlackBerry does not lol.
    02-13-13 07:35 PM
    Well they have not killed the Curve . It is still for sale with Bb- legacy OS. What ever replaces it will be some lower spec version of the z10 /Q10 I presume . In some markets it is all about texting and low cost so the legacy model will do.. In the UK the the legacy BB's still have a good market. I think the Curve is far from dead .. The next cheap BB10 models will be farmed out. Think of Kindle fire vs Ipad mini. My question would be for North America users ... So on a 3 year plan over 3 years you might save $100 by going for the Curve. Seems to me that the Curve should be for third world markets and China etc. But then I am constantly amazed when I hear of Crackberries saying they use a Curve. Different strokes for different folks. Rubber Chicken says that the PB is alive so don't you be saying otherwise.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-13-13 at 08:08 PM.
    02-13-13 07:51 PM
    My thing was a BB10 curve looks like its not gonna happen. Thor and co want to license BB10 for the low end. This means people who prefer the curve chicklet styled keys will be Sol for a BlackBerry10 curve. Believe it or not there are some that prefer the curve to the Bold and it has nothing to do with the price.

I wouldn't be shocked to see BB10 licensed for tablet as well. I doubt very much we will see another PLAYBOOK but Once they get a solid tablet OS with a good ecosystem they could absolutely license it out.

There are many decisions for BlackBerry to make but I would think these decisions will depend on how BB10 is received in the U.S

Okay PLAYBOOK might not be dead ..let's just say its in hibernation. I'm kinda bumbed that I can't use BlackBerry world for Music, Movies and all the high end games and apps that are dropping daily.

I could care less about peeking and flowing on my PLAYBOOK and I don't want "active frames" either but if they'd just open up the store , replace the browser and keyboard I'd be tickled
    amjass12 and Bbnivende like this.
    02-13-13 08:52 PM
    BB-B more Thanks ... I had a look at the Blackberry Pre-paid Curve phones in the UK . I see what you mean by the chicklets. The model I saw here (Cdn) had some other types of keys. Actually I could type on those keys because that was what I used in a BB phone back in 2004 and I liked it ... So my apology.

It seems as if these models are fairly popular in the pre pay market so as long as there is a market I think they will sell them for another year at least .. maybe two.

Having said that ... when the Q10 does come out perhaps think of buying it on spec and taking it back if you don't like it. I like my 9900 keys.
    02-14-13 12:07 AM
    My thing was a BB10 curve looks like its not gonna happen. Thor and co want to license BB10 for the low end. This means people who prefer the curve chicklet styled keys will be Sol for a BlackBerry10 curve. Believe it or not there are some that prefer the curve to the Bold and it has nothing to do with the price.
    Given that they didn't even keep the bold name going for the q10, it was clear we were never going to get a bb10 curve, but as far as the actual devices we could very easily see something like BB making the higher end curve, an equivalent of the 9360 to start out with, but leaving it to somebody else to make the bb10 version of the 9220/9320.

Who knows, with all the work for a qwerty model being put in for the q10, all it would take for them to get out a lower end model would be to knock down all the specs, slap it in a slightly uglier case with chicklet keys and they could probably have a good chance of getting that sucker on sale in countries before all the american carriers even got round to releasing the q10.
    Bbnivende and BB_Bmore like this.
    02-14-13 02:06 AM
    im torn.

Part of me is saying "Blackberry doesnt need to license"
    and the smart part of me says "Maybe they don't, but why not?"

Look at microsoft, for example they have windows on just about everything, do you really think they "need" the windows phone? not really. Its just another thing they have added to their repertoire.

But what if a company had a product that transended laptops and phones. I think perhaps (myself included) we forget about the silver bullet of QnX. Now the boys in the dev forums would explain this better or maybe even tell me im wrong! However from what Ive researched about this kernel... It can be in:

Office:
    Phones
    Laptops/Desktops
    Routers
    Home:
    Thermostats
    Cars/Trucks
    external GPS
    Smart Tv's
    etc, etc.

and all you have to do is patent it and slap the blackberry logo on it.

What if I told you? Blackberry is just getting warmed up.

Thats my feeling on it. License? sure. Why not, we would still own BBM, BES etc. But BB would be everywhere. and just like how microsoft has their own "high end" (if you've seen the Microsoft surface tab you would know why i put it in quotations). Blackberry now has its own High End, operating system.

su end rant
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    02-14-13 02:52 AM
    But who will pay licensing fees for BB10? HTC? Samsung?
    02-14-13 03:10 AM
    Given that they didn't even keep the bold name going for the q10, it was clear we were never going to get a bb10 curve, but as far as the actual devices we could very easily see something like BB making the higher end curve, an equivalent of the 9360 to start out with, but leaving it to somebody else to make the bb10 version of the 9220/9320.

Who knows, with all the work for a qwerty model being put in for the q10, all it would take for them to get out a lower end model would be to knock down all the specs, slap it in a slightly uglier case with chicklet keys and they could probably have a good chance of getting that sucker on sale in countries before all the american carriers even got round to releasing the q10.

Sure it would look like this prototype ?

http://n4bb.com/wp-content/uploads/2...0-R-series.png
    02-14-13 08:51 AM
    Sure it would look like this prototype ?

http://n4bb.com/wp-content/uploads/2...0-R-series.png
    That does seem likely now that we know that isn't a dev alpha c, even if it does look rather ugly in white.
    02-14-13 09:35 AM
    Those are the famous curve keys I spoke of. Hopefully they will release a mid tier curve as someone else suggested. My lady loves the curve.
    That does seem likely now that we know that isn't a dev alpha c, even if it does look rather ugly in white.
    02-14-13 01:13 PM
    Is there any pictures of the Dev C? I haven't seen it .
    02-14-13 02:52 PM
    Yes I believe the dev C has the Bold styled keys Kevin quoted "BlackBerry is back!"-blackberry-dev-alpha-c-.jpg
    02-14-13 03:08 PM
    Very interesting.. I am going to have to go to the BB store to see if I can find Mr. Chicklet BB and press some of those keys...
    02-14-13 03:33 PM