View Poll Results: Kevin do you think something like this is feasible ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude what are you High On ??

2 12.50%
  • I see a glimmer of hope !!

1 6.25%
  • Don't Panic!

3 18.75%
  • What did I Just Read ? I want 2 Minutes of My Life Back !!

4 25.00%
  • I am a CrackBerry Warrior and I will Fight with you till the very End

2 12.50%
  • We dont own BlackBerry, Its a BIG Corporation, They don't Take Dictation from Fanboys

4 25.00%
  • This is something that can be worked on !

5 31.25%
  • Would you like fries with that ?

2 12.50%
  • Im Positive!!! LETS DO THIS !!!!!!!

2 12.50%
  • Yeah sure and lets cause world peace and end global warming while we are at it!

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    We, Crackberry Nation, need to assert our Fanboyism. We need to make ourselves count.
    We need to help influence decisions that Blackberry makes, so they do not lose their biggest supporters and fans.
    We are the end users of their products ultimately and if we are not happy with them who will be?
    Do they have the power to survive without us, the end-user? Or we as Crackberry nation without them? Our interests are aligned, our end goals are the same, and we all want to see BlackBerry succeed. But are we all working towards that goal?
    We can either sit and talk among ourselves, or we can take it to them and force them to take action. There is no other community like Crackberry, so I am sure we can pull it off. Crackberry Nation needs to unite, we are the power, we need to organize ourselves, and we need to be heard.
    We need some sort of initiation from our side to get a sort of collaboration going between BlackBerry and Us. (don�t tell me about the Beta Zone)

Things to do.

DAILY:
    We should actively make [Brainstorming BB10] threads; Post our Questions, Ideas, Wants, Needs, Improvements, Suggestions to the BB10 Platform, and have the community dissect them filter them and let the cream rise to the top.

WEEKLY:
    Depending on the amount of input from the users, we can either have Polls to decide which things need to be tackled first, or we can have Brainstorming Blog Posts detailing the selected ideas that will be sent to BlackBerry.

MONTHLY:
    The Fearless Leader of Crackberry should head to Waterloo (or use bbm video chat), talk to Sir Thor, talk to different department heads and give them input whether they want it or not. Let them know you will be there every month, you will talk about the concerns of the users, you will bring them our suggestions, and you will be there next month to get an update on progress and bring new ideas, and the next month, and the month after that, until we get what we deserve, until we get what we expect from BlackBerry
    Most importantly ask them for a response, ask them for a timeline on the proposals, for feasibility of the presented Ideas, and then keep asking them again and again to get things done, to make sure they keep their promises.
    Then bring us back the news of what transpired, so we may know how much our opinion is worth.

EXAMPLE : If such a step was taken before the launch of BB10 we could have told them to divert resources from making something like the �Story Maker� to having Outlook Sync or selective backup in BB Link, or have a better Speed Dial in Q10 or at least have an Enter Key in the Z10 Keyboard for going to the next line in BBM and SMS.

You are our only hope Kevin, will u take charge?
    divakar and theRock1975 like this.
    06-30-13 08:12 AM
    Kevin has enough on his plate running the Mobile Nations sites. BlackBerry knows what needs to be done. They just refuse to do it.

Posted via CB10
    jason9900, Qaxl, aniym and 1 others like this.
    06-30-13 08:24 AM
    This is not only a great write up, but a fantastic way to bring blackberry to where the end-user wants it to be. This type of implementation IS desperate but, in turn, I believe it's very important that something like this can take some sort of affect.

If only Kevin, Adam Bla1ze or anyone else could see this post and try to save this platform starting right now. I believe in blackberry. I adore the platform and something always had me coming back no matter how stupid I could be in the forums at times. Blackberry needs to set pride aside and allow their users to bring the company to a better standing by working WITH them, not for them. Just my .2

Posted via Q10RR
    Qaxl likes this.
    06-30-13 08:28 AM
    Maybe Kevin can discuss this with "Thor" the next time they have lunch.

Notice how quiet the leaders are - very, very smart - let the storm blow over for a couple of days.

Then the PR machine can restart.
    06-30-13 08:29 AM
    5! But 1? 6... Still, 7!
    Qaxl likes this.
    06-30-13 08:29 AM
    Kevin has enough on his plate running the Mobile Nations sites. BlackBerry knows what needs to be done. They just refuse to do it.

Posted via CB10
    +1
    06-30-13 08:32 AM
    Thumbs up
    06-30-13 08:35 AM
    Notice how quiet the leaders are - very, very smart - let the storm blow over for a couple of days.

Then the PR machine can restart.
    It's a long weekend here in Canada with nice weather. And BlackBerry doesn't have good PR.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:36 AM
    It's a long weekend here in Canada with nice weather. And BlackBerry doesn't have good PR.

Posted via CB10
    I meant the CB PR machine. Yes, BlackBerry has no marketing to speak of.
    Maybe everyone can go to the Annual Meeting on 9 July and speak up!
    06-30-13 08:38 AM
    Who is Blackberry's end user? Enterprise or the average consumer who buys their phone at a mall?

You can argue outlook sync is more important than story maker, but this is just a small indication of BB's major problem right now. They are attempting to cater to both segments which has resulted is a product that feels incomplete to users in both categories.
    06-30-13 08:45 AM
    ...talk to Sir Thor...
    . Wow man! So much respect for a liar CEO, first he goes out in public and promises so convincingly that BB10 is coming to PlayBook in many interviews, and then he backtracks very easily and shamelessly that BB10 is not coming to PlayBook, without giving any solid reasons. It proves two points that he doesn't know what he talks, so he is not something who has any credibility, the other thing is he can't keep his word. The performance reason which he gave in the earning call, is a total bull****, if you are a technical guy, you'll easily understand that. But the problem here is FANBOYism. I don't know how much lies you can afford from this company.

BlackBerry is not concerned about what their users say, neither they want to listen to the developers who will bring their apps on the new platform. There are many posts on Crackberry and they just don't read any post at all. You fanboys want to try that, go ahead, until you see another bull**** coming from this company. You just wait and watch. The next mess in the line is going to be BB10 OS rollout, by the time we reach BB11, they will abandon Z10, Q10, and other recent mobile phones which they might release in future.

I'm ashamed of being a customer of this company, they have only given so much frustration rather than joy, they are very unprofessional people and with this attitude, they won't go so far.
    06-30-13 08:50 AM
    As sure as I am Kevin would be interested in this great idea, it's also about time management. He's not only the founder of Crackberry but also the CMO of Mobile Nations as a whole. Right now with Talk Mobile 2013 going on, it's the major focus and I can tell you BlackBerry is listening because they're a sponsor for TM13.

They even repost the TM13 BBM channels posts onto their own BlackBerry channels. So if you want your voice to be heard, I'd suggest taking a major part in TM13. It's still going on for another month or so. It's a week on, week off event. This is a week on.

I do hope Kevin finds time to get back to this idea, as again I think it's a great idea, cause as you said, we're all in this to see BlackBerry survive and flurish.

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    06-30-13 08:53 AM
    Who is Blackberry's end user? Enterprise or the average consumer who buys their phone at a mall?

You can argue outlook sync is more important than story maker, but this is just a small indication of BB's major problem right now. They are attempting to cater to both segments which has resulted is a product that feels incomplete to users in both categories.
    I thought they only wanted BB people? Didn't they say it isn't for everyone? That right there alienates many people and sound arrogant or stupid.

CB has tons of "We should actively make [Brainstorming BB10] threads; Post our Questions, Ideas, Wants, Needs, Improvements, Suggestions to the BB10 Platform, and have the community dissect them filter them and let the cream rise to the top."

Has it done any good yet?
    h20work likes this.
    06-30-13 08:54 AM
    The performance reason which he gave in the earning call, is a total bull****, if you are a technical guy, you'll easily understand that.
    I'm a very technical suave person, and I've even stated before that it'd be hard to bring BlackBerry 10 to the PB due to ram and cpu problems. The 4G LTE model may have gotten away with BlackBerry 10 due the 1.5GHz processor, but even than it'd be either a highly crippled version of the OS as to run on 1GB of ram. Look at a Z10/Q10/Q5, they all have a minmum 2GB RAM, and that's because the OS itself takes nearly 800MB to run.

So your telling me you'd rather them release a version of BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook that would render your device pretty much useless or have it reboot all the time or close apps on you because the RTOS is working to conserve that last 224MB of RAM?

They tried to make it work, the BlackBerry technical team told Thorsten that it would work. He wasn't satisfied with a laggy product, and trashed the project to allocate those resources were they would be more useful. He made the call yes, but would you rather him straight up say "hey we messed up BlackBerry 10 isn't coming to the PB" or rather just sit here whining "when is BlackBerry 10 coming to the PB, how come BlackBerry won't tell us".

06-30-13 09:02 AM
    I think he is sleeping from Saturday nights drinks

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 09:04 AM
    I'm a very technical suave person, and I've even stated before that it'd be hard to bring BlackBerry 10 to the PB due to ram and cpu problems. The 4G LTE model may have gotten away with BlackBerry 10 due the 1.5GHz processor, but even than it'd be either a highly crippled version of the OS as to run on 1GB of ram. Look at a Z10/Q10/Q5, they all have a minmum 2GB RAM, and that's because the OS itself takes nearly 800MB to run.

So your telling me you'd rather them release a version of BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook that would render your device pretty much useless or have it reboot all the time or close apps on you because the RTOS is working to conserve that last 224MB of RAM?

They tried to make it work, the BlackBerry technical team told Thorsten that it would work. He wasn't satisfied with a laggy product, and trashed the project to allocate those resources were they would be more useful. He made the call yes, but would you rather him straight up say "hey we messed up BlackBerry 10 isn't coming to the PB" or rather just sit here whining "when is BlackBerry 10 coming to the PB, how come BlackBerry won't tell us".

Hi Kris, what's up with BB10 being such a resource hog? What did BBRY do to it? Is it because of being an RTOS that every little thing put in it has to be an app? Seems like I heard something like that, no drivers etc. so everything and I mean everything has to an app?
    06-30-13 09:14 AM

You don't think any of the reasons its not coming had anything to do with the fact that they would have to now support a 4th device on BB10, and "respond" to bugs and feature requests on that device as well which would require resources on an already burdened engineering team? I firmly believe if the CEO said "make it work" they would. Now obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere, but I can't help but feel that this was more of a case of not being economically or time feasible (using whatever metric they use) and less of, "we can't make it work no matter how hard we try".
    This boils down to their coming soon philosophy. Rather than saying it was coming, they should have said, we are doing what we can to try and bring it to the playbook, and we will keep you updated...and then, -here's the bombshell-, kept people updated. Right now it seems like this was just a way to move product, and in this industry, perception is reality.
    People are getting tired of the over promise and under deliver, coming soon way of marketing. All people have asked for is communication. If you can do it, do it, if you can't, say you can't when people ask. I do sales every day, and the number one rule, above all else, is if you tell your customer you are going to do something, do it, and if you can't, tell them right away. They will respect you a lot more when you provide your limitations instead of stringing them along with false hope. Respect is a two way street, and Blackberry needs ours more than we need theirs. We can always go to a different manufacturer, they can't go to other customers.
    Qaxl likes this.
    06-30-13 09:17 AM
    Hi Kris, what's up with BB10 being such a resource hog? What did BBRY do to it? Is it because of being an RTOS that every little thing put in it has to be an app? Seems like I heard something like that, no drivers etc. so everything and I mean everything has to an app?
    This was my understanding as well, I know we can try to compare things like iOS that isn't resource heavy and than there is android, not as resource heavy as BB10 but slows down way to much due to poor memory management.

When people compare all 4 OS's it just doesn't make sense to me, as they all have different underlying cores. The neutrino kernel in BB10 which provides the amazing RTOS is actually really small. I think the issue here is BlackBerry having to learn to shrink the initial memory usage of BB10 and QNX. However, with 2GB of RAM being far cheaper than spending time and resources on 'how to shrink a OS and keep it doing what they want', it just makes sense from a buisness end, to drop that notion of messing with their OS and keep building new hardware with a minmum 1.2GHz dual core and 2GB of RAM

06-30-13 09:21 AM
    You don't think any of the reasons its not coming had anything to do with the fact that they would have to now support a 4th device on BB10, and "respond" to bugs and feature requests on that device as well which would require resources on an already burdened engineering team? I firmly believe if the CEO said "make it work" they would. Now obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere, but I can't help but feel that this was more of a case of not being economically or time feasible (using whatever metric they use) and less of, "we can't make it work no matter how hard we try".
    This boils down to their coming soon philosophy. Rather than saying it was coming, they should have said, we are doing what we can to try and bring it to the playbook, and we will keep you updated...and then, -here's the bombshell-, kept people updated. Right now it seems like this was just a way to move product, and in this industry, perception is reality.
    People are getting tired of the over promise and under deliver, coming soon way of marketing. All people have asked for is communication. If you can do it, do it, if you can't, say you can't when people ask. I do sales every day, and the number one rule, above all else, is if you tell your customer you are going to do something, do it, and if you can't, tell them right away. They will respect you a lot more when you provide your limitations instead of stringing them along with false hope. Respect is a two way street, and Blackberry needs ours more than we need theirs. We can always go to a different manufacturer, they can't go to other customers.
    Nope, they'd have no problem supporting another BlackBerry 10 device, after all its a device their familar with over the past few years, and with BlackBerry 10 on it they know the OS pretty well as well

06-30-13 09:25 AM
    This was my understanding as well, I know we can try to compare things like iOS that isn't resource heavy and than there is android, not as resource heavy as BB10 but slows down way to much due to poor memory management.

When people compare all 4 OS's it just doesn't make sense to me, as they all have different underlying cores. The neutrino kernel in BB10 which provides the amazing RTOS is actually really small. I think the issue here is BlackBerry having to learn to shrink the initial memory usage of BB10 and QNX. However, with 2GB of RAM being far cheaper than spending time and resources on 'how to shrink a OS and keep it doing what they want', it just makes sense from a buisness end, to drop that notion of messing with their OS and keep building new hardware with a minmum 1.2GHz dual core and 2GB of RAM

Wouldn't it have been much simpler if BBRY would've just explained that instead of constantly saying that BB10 is coming to all playbooks until it wasn't?
    diegonei likes this.
    06-30-13 09:26 AM
    Everybody is looking at the limited RAM of PlayBook, as being the culprit in this mess of BB10 not being able to run on it. From day 1, I was shocked to see the 2GB of RAM as minimum requirement to run a mobile OS. This is a big deal, and this is going to make the whole OS cripple in near future, this is highly unoptimized piece of ****.

Remember the Dev Alpha A had 1GB of RAM, and the OS was laggy as hell on that device, so what they did is instead of optimizing the OS, they just doubled the RAM on the device. The engineers working on BB10 are totally useless, they have no expertise in optimization at all, they should have been fired immediately.

In some of my earlier post, I posted a list of all the devices with less than 1GB of RAM, iPad 4, iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, all the Android devices had 1GB RAM or even less until Samsung S4 and HTC One. Now, imagine if first gen of this new baby OS (BB10) requires 2GB of RAM, man, the next major version will require 4GB of RAM to run smoothly, so, all your Z10s, Q10s will be scrapped like PlayBook.

Now, don't throw this crap at me that, BB10 is true multi-tasking OS, and blah blah blah... They could have easily optimized it, if they would have hired some quality software engineers, they could have removed Hub for PlayBook version and I don't see why it wouldn't work on it.

You guys want to stick with these *** clowns, its your choice. You guys have so much patience, and you can live with this crap coming from this company. I am done with this company like many others.
    06-30-13 09:32 AM
    Nope, they'd have no problem supporting another BlackBerry 10 device, after all its a device their familar with over the past few years, and with BlackBerry 10 on it they know the OS pretty well as well

Its still one more device that they would have to support, and make sure everything works. So that bug that people find on the z10, now has to be solved on 4 devices instead of 3. That's one more team -at least- that has to go to meetings, has to work with the other teams, has to solve problems that could then detrimentally impact the other devices, etc...That's assuming that there is still an adequate PB team left after all the lay offs. As I said, if Thorsten said to the company, "make it work", I think they could have. It was economics that prevented it.

We have a provincial government that promised a balance budget if elected. When they were brought in, one of the first things they announced was that the books were worse than they thought and a balanced budget wasn't possible. So one of only two things happened. Either they just made it up and lied and had no intentions of doing it, or their accounting staff were incompetent and either didn't do their homework, or didn't do their homework correctly. There are no other possibilities. Either one is bad, and I see this PB fiasco as the same thing. Either Thorsten was just BS'ing the customers or whoever told him the information was wrong, and with the number of people here that feel that it was so obvious that it wouldn't work, we have to assume that they knew that too (otherwise we have to assume the people working on it don't know what they are doing). That doesn't leave any other possibilities other than #1. I've tried finding a way that makes this a reasonable and honest mistake, but I just can't find it. And even if I could, I don't see why it had to wait until the earnings call to be announced.
    Now we are waiting for BBM to come sometime this year. Who's to say that this doesn't happen again. At least with this, Thorsten gave himself an out during the announcement proclaiming app store approval. And if it doesn't happen, and he blames the app store, god help them if Apple or Android doesn't pounce on that and tell everyone they had no issue approving it, and there must be another reason it didn't get released. And multi platform is important to Blackberry as its intent is to open a revenue stream lost with BIS.
    06-30-13 09:38 AM
    Everybody is looking at the limited RAM of PlayBook, as being the culprit in this mess of BB10 not being able to run on it. From day 1, I was shocked to see the 2GB of RAM as minimum requirement to run a mobile OS. This is a big deal, and this is going to make the whole OS cripple in near future, this is highly unoptimized piece of ****.

Remember the Dev Alpha A had 1GB of RAM, and the OS was laggy as hell on that device, so what they did is instead of optimizing the OS, they just doubled the RAM on the device. The engineers working on BB10 are totally useless, they have no expertise in optimization at all, they should have been fired immediately.

In some of my earlier post, I posted a list of all the devices with less than 1GB of RAM, iPad 4, iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, all the Android devices had 1GB RAM or even less until Samsung S4 and HTC One. Now, imagine if first gen of this new baby OS (BB10) requires 2GB of RAM, man, the next major version will require 4GB of RAM to run smoothly, so, all your Z10s, Q10s will be scrapped like PlayBook.

Now, don't throw this crap at me that, BB10 is true multi-tasking OS, and blah blah blah... They could have easily optimized it, if they would have hired some quality software engineers, they could have removed Hub for PlayBook version and I don't see why it wouldn't work on it.

You guys want to stick with these *** clowns, its your choice. You guys have so much patience, and you can live with this crap coming from this company. I am done with this company like many others.
    iOS is a completely different machine, and well yes androids have been around with 1GB of RAM but guess what, they all are junk. I've owned many android devices with 1GB ram, namely the galaxy s2, galaxy nexus, and the HTC one X, and I can tell you after about 2 weeks of use they all began to lag, even with being rooted and custom OS.

I've had a galaxy s3 with 2 GB of RAM and even that started to slow down. It's funny how the Z10 and Q10 pretty much have the same internals as a S3 but yet the hardware doesn't lag, and why? Because this OS works, it's optimized to 2GB of RAM.

But if your done with this company, is there a point sitting around in these forums arguing your beliefs? Because from personal experience with other devices, my technical background, and well other techies I know, we could counteract everyone one of your statements. So sure your upset with the company, just do us a favor and make good on saying your done with the company by exiting the forums silently

mathking606, Rezia and LP_Rigg like this.
    06-30-13 09:43 AM
    For me the problem is not that they could not make it work - it is that they stated without reservation that it would come. People like me made decisions on new phones (z10) and additional tablets (playbooks). I bought my z10 for full price because I was excited about sharing a common platform over time. I am okay that they couldn't make it work, and if the CEO came out and said - we couldn't make it work, but we made a commitment to our customers and will be update the playbook os with (x y and z features bridge or whatever) there would have been a totally different reaction (I am a fan and want the company to do well). As it stands I feel like they demonstrated no regard for us in the way this was handled.
    Qaxl likes this.
    06-30-13 09:44 AM
    CB has tons of "We should actively make [Brainstorming BB10] threads; Post our Questions, Ideas, Wants, Needs, Improvements, Suggestions to the BB10 Platform, and have the community dissect them filter them and let the cream rise to the top."

Has it done any good yet?
    Exactly my point! We need to communicate with them, on a regular basis. And for that we need organization, and a plan.
    06-30-13 09:53 AM
46 12