Karl is a guy who does know what he is talking about.

BlackBerry Z10: A First Look in [Market-Ticker]

Verdict: Best "new smartphone experience" I've ever had, bar none, period. Sorry Samsung and Apple. Android loses to a phone with thought instead of a robot at its core.
    03-27-13 09:55 AM
    thanks for the link...
    03-27-13 10:12 AM
    Its good to know the Z10 kicks the SGSII's ****. 2011FTW
    REP72 likes this.
    03-27-13 10:27 AM
    Thanks for the link, OP. It's great to see some positive news for the new Z10.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-27-13 10:39 AM
    a good read.
    03-27-13 10:46 AM
    Karl is a guy who does know what he is talking about.

BlackBerry Z10: A First Look in [Market-Ticker]

Verdict: Best "new smartphone experience" I've ever had, bar none, period. Sorry Samsung and Apple. Android loses to a phone with thought instead of a robot at its core.
    That's a Very thorough write up. Thanks for posting it.
    03-27-13 10:57 AM
    Great review. I'm not willing to setup an account there but, I wish someone would tell Karl about the long-press on the date bar in Hub. That might solve one of his gripes with Hub.
    Last edited by jrohland; 03-27-13 at 01:18 PM.
    03-27-13 11:03 AM
    Wow he really liked the Z10 and gave some very real world comparisons. Very nice. A must read.
    03-27-13 11:25 AM
    Not a huge Karl fan - too much "sky is falling!" in his world, and for years and years. Not sure how people can listen to that commentary.

BUT he does a decent job in his review. Pretty fair points both positive and negative, though I think alot of his criticisms will be addressed in the next os update, but who knows.
    03-27-13 11:33 AM
    I wonder if the RF is from the Paratek company BlackBerry owns...

Good solid honest review in the real world for Karl.
    northernrds likes this.
    03-27-13 12:03 PM
    All of the things that he says the Z10 got right I agree with. Especially the ease of putting it into bedside mode, the keyboard, and maps. It's actually a huge relief to me that the maps aren't as bad as everyone made them out to be. Granted I haven't gone into doing turn by turn direction yet, and I'll try that out on the way to dinner yet. No, they don't have street view or show every store/restaurant/etc in the area when zoomed in...but driving from point a to point b and getting an idea of where things are should be ok. I'm also really hoping that they include pedestrian and bike routes on future updates.

I think his review would've held more weight if he had used a more modern Android device. The difference between the SGS2 and SGS3 is major, and the SGS4 is a direct competitor. Some things just aren't relevant anymore, like the lack of LED. The SGS3, Note 2, and I'm assuming the SGS4 all have an LED that have native multicolor functionality. Imagine a built in BeBuzz.

Also, I don't agree with him on the browser. I thought his claim that he had 4 browsers loaded that didn't hold a candle to the BB10 browser odd. The BB10 browser is certainly more than capable, and the best browser BB has put out to date, but I don't think it's leaps and bounds over Chrome or Dolphin.

I've only had the Z10 for a few hours and I find myself searching for native settings to be amazed that they haven't included them - like a battery monitor and the ability to adjust vibration intensity. I'm sure the more I use it I can find more and more about what it DOESN'T do...but I'm not going to do that. I realize it's a brand new OS. I realize it's not going to have all the bells and whistles yet. I've always said that BlackBerry is the Chipotle of mobile devices. There might not be much on the menu, but what they do offer is really really really good. Wait, even better! The Z10 is the In n Out of mobile devices. There's not much on the menu, but it's d@mn tasty, and if you can't find anything that you want, there's always the secret menu (sideloading Android apps). So I'm going to try my darnedest not to brood over missing functionality, but rather appreciate what it does well (hub, fluidity, active frames, bedside mode, etc). I also know that I'm probably wanting/expecting it to behave like Android, like as far as where to find things, certain controls, etc. I'm trying not to assume it doesn't do something if I can't find what I'm looking for right away. It's probably just in a place I'm not expecting. All part of the learning curve.
    03-27-13 12:37 PM
    Exactly everything that you are not used to has a learning curve. Good article

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-27-13 12:41 PM
    Great to read not only a positive review but a well written one. I don't know what frustrates me more on some of the "major" sites; the biased reporting or the utterly horrible writing from some of the professionals.

He did a thorough job but I would like to read his updates as he uses it more.

And yes Blackberry, please, please, please a "Never" option for backlight off when charging. Please.
    03-27-13 12:54 PM
    Enjoyable read from someone without any agenda. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 01:40 PM
    Thanks OP for the link.
    I, too, purchased the Z10 yesterday afternoon. Also had some problem getting data because the Tmobile rep got ahead of himself and forgot to activate my new sim card first. It was resolved twenty minutes later. I set up my email account prior to transfer my data and since I'm using my personal contact list (not from Google) I disable Google contact and calendar sync features. I followed closely the instructions from mobilethemesworld. (Transfer contacts for blackberry Z10)
    and 30 minutes later all my contacts, calendar, text mesages, emails, pasword keeper were transfered successfully from my old beat-up Curve 8900 to my Z10 via BB Link.
    I added another language to the list of keyboard input and everything works like a charm. I have my weather app minimized so I can glance to check the weather from time to time. I really like the HUB and peeking feature. I also used the BB Maps this morning and I worked well and snappy for me. The Navigator on BB7 works extremely well too. One thing BBRY can add to BB Maps is currently speed, direction of driving and estimate arrival time. I didn't pay attention to see if traffic information is there or not. It's displayed on BB7 Navigator as red, yellow, etc.
    So far the experience is good.
    03-27-13 01:53 PM
    Tried to tell him about the delete in bulk option, but the site doesn't let me post or message him for now since the account i made is "too new"
    03-27-13 02:06 PM
    Nice to give the Z10 a good review but he's on crack if he thinks the device is superior to the SG. Side by side the SG has so many more gadget functions that the Z10 doesn't have. One small example is trying to copy an email address and pasting it into a new email. Can't be done. You have to save that address into your contact book THEN insert the contact into the email. There's no select, copy, paste function in email as there was on the older BB devices.

And Android apps blows BB out of the water. I can't even get Bank of America app for my phone for reading checks. And as a real estate agent the Supra Ekey app is missing. It was on the older BB devices (and every other phone on the market) but not the 10 and Ekey says there's not enough demand for it. Thousands of real estate agents are out there but apparently the Z10 isn't as popular with agents as the old BB devices. Sad really!

Speaking of emails. I forwarded an email today to a colleague and asked him to respond. He called me and said that the email header was missing. I sent it to another personal email address and sure enough the original message is there but the header with the original email address etc was missing. And again, I couldn't cut or copy the original email address and send it to him. That's another fail in the Z10 mail functions. I sure hope someone with Blackberry is reading these posts!!
    03-27-13 02:23 PM
    Its good to know the Z10 kicks the SGSII's ****. 2011FTW
    next week the review will be z10 vs iphone 3g
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-27-13 02:44 PM
    Very nice review.
    03-27-13 02:48 PM
    Nice to give the Z10 a good review but he's on crack if he thinks the device is superior to the SG. Side by side the SG has so many more gadget functions that the Z10 doesn't have. One small example is trying to copy an email address and pasting it into a new email. Can't be done. You have to save that address into your contact book THEN insert the contact into the email. There's no select, copy, paste function in email as there was on the older BB devices.

And Android apps blows BB out of the water. I can't even get Bank of America app for my phone for reading checks. And as a real estate agent the Supra Ekey app is missing. It was on the older BB devices (and every other phone on the market) but not the 10 and Ekey says there's not enough demand for it. Thousands of real estate agents are out there but apparently the Z10 isn't as popular with agents as the old BB devices. Sad really!

Speaking of emails. I forwarded an email today to a colleague and asked him to respond. He called me and said that the email header was missing. I sent it to another personal email address and sure enough the original message is there but the header with the original email address etc was missing. And again, I couldn't cut or copy the original email address and send it to him. That's another fail in the Z10 mail functions. I sure hope someone with Blackberry is reading these posts!!
    This sounds incredibly frustrating. Karl pointed out some issues, and one can only hope that BlackBerry is listening. As for the app you are missing, can it be sideloaded?
    03-27-13 02:58 PM
    One small example is trying to copy an email address and pasting it into a new email. Can't be done. You have to save that address into your contact book THEN insert the contact into the email. There's no select, copy, paste function in email as there was on the older BB devices. !!
    Maybe you have an old Os version because I can do just that.

Karl Denninger says: ":  Best "new smartphone experience" I've ever had, bar none, period. "-img_00000237.png
    Karl Denninger says: ":  Best "new smartphone experience" I've ever had, bar none, period. "-img_00000236.png
    Karl Denninger says: ":  Best "new smartphone experience" I've ever had, bar none, period. "-img_00000234.png

Posted via CB10
    Neely2005 likes this.
    03-27-13 03:16 PM
    Maybe you have an old Os version because I can do just that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000237.png 
Views:	510 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	144469

Name:	IMG_00000236.png 
Views:	510 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	144470

Name:	IMG_00000234.png 
Views:	511 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	144471

Posted via CB10
    Glenix, does it really work for you? Notice "Send" is greyed-out on your screen captures. I have the same issue as the OP; I can't copy or type in a normal email address in the TO field of an email and send. It has to be set up as a Contact before Send is enabled.
    Eicoach likes this.
    03-27-13 03:21 PM
    Hmmm. I guess it's the OS version because I've tried and I've been to two AT&T stores and Best Buy and no one can figure it out. How exactly did you highlight the email address? Maybe I just missed it. I thought it would pop up if I just held my finger tip on the email address but that didn't work. So how is it done?

I also noticed that composing a SMS message is a *****. I type in the phone number but there's no text box. Apparently you have to compose the message first THEN insert the phone number.
    03-27-13 03:28 PM
    You can totally type the email add without it being on the contacts.

There is the one step to do after typing it, you gotta click the typed email and select it again under the option that comes out.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 03:30 PM
    Excellent article. Thanks OP
    03-27-13 03:34 PM
42 12