Research firm Kantar Worldpanel has released a new report highlighting U.S. smartphone sales over the March-May period, finding that Apple's share of the market rose by 3.5 percentage points compared to the prior-year period.
    The report attributes that growth to the iPhone becoming available on T-Mobile USA, the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin offering the device.
    Through the 3 month period ending May 2013, Android continues to lead smartphone sales at 52%. Close behind is iOS with 41.9% of sales. Windows remains in third with 4.6% of sales, up 0.9% versus the same period last year.
    BlackBerry continues is fall ...
    Kantar Reporting BlackBerry Sales in U.S. are Low-kantar_may13_smartphones_us.jpg
    irsan likes this.
    07-08-13 01:08 PM
    Great Now I'm selling my Blackberry because of this
    brout, Camelhmpz, ErinnM and 1 others like this.
    07-08-13 01:14 PM
    I'll be curious to see the June and July numbers to see if the trend reverses itself at all, the May time frame precludes the launch of the Q10 in the US and I think that was the device many people were waiting to see from BB before making a decision as to what device they would want.

Not good to read, but really I wouldn't expect much different as BB10 is just in the first few months of availability yet in the US.
    07-08-13 01:18 PM
    The new BlackBerry weren't even out!

Posted via CB10
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    07-08-13 01:21 PM
    I don't know how many more times this 'research firm' has to be discredited before people stop referencing them as a valid source. Their methods are totally flawed and end up skewing results to new depths of inaccuracy. And yes, I am too lazy to find discrediting links. But they've been debunked at least as often as they've been cited, so it should be easy enough for anyone with an ounce more ambition than I currently have. Which would be about an ounce of ambition.
    07-08-13 01:26 PM
    for those curious this is the full set of numbers to compare with

Kantar Reporting BlackBerry Sales in U.S. are Low-may-2013-sales.jpg
    07-08-13 01:26 PM
    honestly i do not care. first of all i do not believe in these research companies. they have proven to be incorrect and not just with blackberry but apple, samsun, microsoft. you name it. i trust my own personal guts. second is that i like my phone a lot and care less if the company does well in the us or not. as long as blackberry sales and supports my phone it can sell all other phones in Iceland. the company can do well outside of the USA.
    shaleem and mrzeolite like this.
    07-08-13 01:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Looking at the history of posts by the OP, you can see he/she is cleverly disguising their posts/threads as negative propoganda. I think this is just to create another negative thread title on these forums.
    cjcampbell, dusdal and brout like this.
    07-08-13 01:38 PM
    If one looks at the European countries, one develops a better appreciation as to why Rob Orr left BlackBerry for Samsung. One data set is not conclusive. But taken into context with numerous pieces of data sets and news from other sources. BlackBerry is in one hell of struggle for survival in a hyper-competitive industry.

Q10 & Q5 have to sell extremely well to stabilize the company's market share for future gains.

for those curious this is the full set of numbers to compare with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May 2013 Sales.jpg 
Views:	2876 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	180329
    07-08-13 01:44 PM
    I don't know how many more times this 'research firm' has to be discredited before people stop referencing them as a valid source. Their methods are totally flawed and end up skewing results to new depths of inaccuracy. And yes, I am too lazy to find discrediting links. But they've been debunked at least as often as they've been cited, so it should be easy enough for anyone with an ounce more ambition than I currently have. Which would be about an ounce of ambition.
    So you can't or won't supply any links.
    Seems more like another convenient excuse for atrocious sales.
    wtz11, mikeo007 and litig8or98 like this.
    07-08-13 01:49 PM
    Kantar Reporting BlackBerry Sales in U.S. are Low-well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg here we go
    07-08-13 01:53 PM
    That did escalate quickly. haha.
    07-08-13 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    They were out two full months in the US during this period. Take a look at the UK numbers in howarmat's post where the device was available for the entire polling period and they are down heavily too, even though BB10 sales were "strong" in the UK. It isn't looking good for BlackBerry right now. What is sad is that they truly do have the best device/OS on the market right now IMHO but the company/name on the device is what is hurting sales more than anything. They should have kept the name RIM for the company, and ditched the name BlackBerry for the handsets. Too much negativity in the developed consumer smartphone markets towards that name. Unfortunately RIM/BlackBerry are still suffering from thinking that their fecal matter doesn't, and never will stink!
    07-08-13 02:14 PM
    3 months starting april ending may???
    07-08-13 02:18 PM
    Woo hoo, Australia had a gain!
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-08-13 02:21 PM
    When will people realize that BlackBerry 10 is a new OS & is NOT GOING TO SELL WELL for a while!!!! I don't care if the phone can turn into a rocketship and fix pancakes, its new and unproven. People don't trust it yet. Consumers are unlikely to shell out $200 + 2 years or $600+ for a device that may or may not be worth half that. Most consumers don't prude on fan sites like Crackberry before buying a new device. Most consumers walk inside a local retailer with $200 and the only thing they know is, they are walking out with a new phone. iPhones and Androids have longevity against BlackBerry. Those are the devices people have grown to trust with their hard-earned money.

I can make a list as to why othe devices have more appeal than BB right now, but the simple fact is, BB10 has barely had time to change its diapers. Its not going to sell well in the first few months.. maybe even year or two. It has to gain traction. There are a million threads about what BB can do to achieve that, but the bottom line is, until that happens, sales are going to be slow.
    07-08-13 02:31 PM
    The Z10 and Q10 are good phones. Once we get the 4.2.2 runtime, then things will be more even. I like my Z10 for what it does now.
    Windows phone is a close second for me. However, the multitasking is much to be desired (although it is the reason the battery life is better on Windows OS).
    I eventually chose to keep the Z10 because it does what I want it to do with the least amount of hassle. Period.
    If it doesn't for you? Well then, pick another phone.
    Stocks are ******** anyway. The majority of it is automated anyway. For some reason, people think they are high on the hog because a computer automatically sell their shares or buys them based on news. Whatever lol.
    Looking at the current trend in what people want, it is obvious why BB is not selling epically. People want simple devices that can do only one thing at a time. Why? Because they only want to deal with one thing at a time. It is a trend that will continue to happen.

Not to mention the fact that the market itself is overstaturated with all kinds of phones. You can't keep selling millions and million of phones forever. It will plateau eventually.
    /Precoffee rant complete.
    Himanshu Mehta likes this.
    07-08-13 02:41 PM
    I dont see the problem. Everyone said RIM was dead anyway. lol...
    07-08-13 02:53 PM
    When will people realize that BlackBerry 10 is a new OS & is NOT GOING TO SELL WELL for a while!!!! I don't care if the phone can turn into a rocketship and fix pancakes, its new and unproven. People don't trust it yet. Consumers are unlikely to shell out $200 + 2 years or $600+ for a device that may or may not be worth half that. Most consumers don't prude on fan sites like Crackberry before buying a new device. Most consumers walk inside a local retailer with $200 and the only thing they know is, they are walking out with a new phone. iPhones and Androids have longevity against BlackBerry. Those are the devices people have grown to trust with their hard-earned money.

I can make a list as to why othe devices have more appeal than BB right now, but the simple fact is, BB10 has barely had time to change its diapers. Its not going to sell well in the first few months.. maybe even year or two. It has to gain traction. There are a million threads about what BB can do to achieve that, but the bottom line is, until that happens, sales are going to be slow.
    I agree with what you said and I want to bring up the fact that Blackberry has to REBUILD its image here in the USA.

Forget how great and how many bells and whistles OS10 has, people who where once loyal users are not going to abandon their current platform unless there is something value added in the products?.

Here are a couple of key points that are going to hold folks back and until they are addressed, the downward spiral will continue:

Cost: Sorry but the blackberry phones need be to much cheaper then the completion if you expect folks to take the plunge.

Apps Ecosystem: Unless the core apps that exist in the current Apple & Android world are in the BBOS10 world are there, there is no way folks are going to cross over.

Support: They need to have the updates set up like Apple and Google have in place and come directly from Blackberry. The warranty issue has to be a joint effort and not be passed off to the carrier.

This is based off input I have had from every person I have tried to get to cross over to the Blackberry world.

Blackberry better start listening to corporate America to, because most of my corporate clients who used to be dedicated to blackberry are also switching to IOS.

I just hope that someone at the Blackberry corporate offices who can make changes are reading some of these post.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    torndownunit and bquinney like this.
    07-08-13 02:58 PM
    DAMNIT! BlackBerry didn't have immediate results. WHAT A DISGRACE! I'm outraged, appalled, I'm selling all my BlackBerry stuff and renouncing my Canadian citizenship!! Anyone know of a good laser tattoo removal shop? I need to get this BlackBerry tattoo removed off my arse! I'm dumping all my investment money into this research firm now because I trust them and believe they will show me the right way!!
    07-08-13 03:15 PM
    Regardless of the status of BB sales in the USA, they would've been better if Sprint bothered to offer them. As a Sprint user who isn't interested in switching carriers, BB could've sold two more units: a Z10 and a Q10, but since Sprint doesn't have them, neither do I or my wife.

We're now revisiting other devices that does offer, as our time-weathered curves and Torchs are ready to be "put down".... My wife is really gunning for an iPhone since she can't get a Q10.

Neither one of us wants to change away from BB, but Sprint and/or BB aren't making it very convenient for us to stay....

Wolf
    htown74 likes this.
    07-08-13 03:16 PM
    If one looks at the European countries, one develops a better appreciation as to why Rob Orr left BlackBerry for Samsung. One data set is not conclusive. But taken into context with numerous pieces of data sets and news from other sources. BlackBerry is in one hell of struggle for survival in a hyper-competitive industry.

Q10 & Q5 have to sell extremely well to stabilize the company's market share for future gains.
    Didn't realize that BB had such a big share in Mexico... or that you could loose so much market share in one quarter.

While I wouldn't say Mexico is a developing country, it is the closest thing to one out of the countries on that list. I wonder if those statics will hold true to other "strong holds" of BlackBerry.....
    07-08-13 03:23 PM
    Regardless of the status of BB sales in the USA, they would've been better if Sprint bothered to offer them. As a Sprint user who isn't interested in switching carriers, BB could've sold two more units: a Z10 and a Q10, but since Sprint doesn't have them, neither do I or my wife.

We're now revisiting other devices that does offer, as our time-weathered curves and Torchs are ready to be "put down".... My wife is really gunning for an iPhone since she can't get a Q10.

Neither one of us wants to change away from BB, but Sprint and/or BB aren't making it very convenient for us to stay....

Wolf
    Sprint sucks with service. Unless you have an amazing deal with Sprint I recommend Verizon. We have 3 lines with unlimited everything and 6gb shared a month and we pay $200.

I'm sure you and your wife would pay around $150 or so. Remember, it's 6gb, so you would each get 3gb or if she uses more than you, etc.

Also, Sprint 3G speed is terrible. TERRIBLE. The word unlimited is a gimmick.

EDIT: It's a new plan by Verizon. Before, my family would pay $215/month for 1400 minutes and unlimited messaging PLUS separate data plans: 2gb, 2gb and 300mb respectively. (Data was included in the 215 though)
    07-08-13 03:30 PM
    That chart is incorrect because Android does not have that large a share of devices sold. That's Android based devices. Android doesn't sell as much, therefore, by clearly evident logic, it must be garbage.

Saiga and ynomrah will back me up on this.
    07-08-13 03:38 PM
    When will people realize that BlackBerry 10 is a new OS & is NOT GOING TO SELL WELL for a while!!!!
    The company where I work doesn't even provide BB10 Blackberries as an option...still stuck on OS7 devices (or worse). I ask and ask our IT dept when they'll be approved, and I get the run-around... But we do have iPhones. So when workers are choosing iPhones on 2 year contracts, you're darn tootin' right that BB10 isn't going to sell well for a loooong while. And guess what...my BB basically died, so I had to get an iPhone (no way I was going on another 2 year contract on an OS7 device). So now I'm 2 years in with an iPhone.

I just don't see excitement out there for Blackberries, and in general the "I'm gonna wet my pants" excitement for smartphones is dwindling. The iPhone 5 was...meh. The Galaxy S4 was...meh. And in general, the response from the Z10 was...good but meh.

Maybe the Q10 will be approved in a couple of years so I can get back to a physical keyboard...but by then I'll probably be an expert at the virtual keyboards and won't care anymore...
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    07-08-13 03:39 PM
194 123 ...