Hi friends!

As the title says, I just saw the BNN interview - John Chen and the legacy of BlackBerry devices.

No wonder that the hand set business went that way.

John Chen just seems that he has no clue about BlackBerry - I mean about their devices.

He likes the 9900, the Curve and the Passport.
    It seems that that's all he knows about the "BlackBerry experience".
    The reporter asked him about the Playbook - all he could say was, that this was prior his time...

Come on - the Playbook was no success, but the foundation of OS10, Playbook IS the essential thing about OS10. It evolved from there.
    To know OS10 is to understand the Playbook OS.

It was the first attempt to bring a real time OS to the market. The idea behind that is still anything beyond iOS or Android could ever be!

No wonder that he turns BlackBerry into a software company. He doesn't understand how this company became iconic.

Sure, he is great about number (money-wise) - but not about what it is to be BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold, rajarizal and acovey like this.
    09-30-16 03:38 PM
    John Chen just seems that he has no clue about BlackBerry - I mean about their devices... The reporter asked him about the Playbook - all he could say was, that this was prior his time... Come on - the Playbook was no success, but the foundation of OS10... To know OS10 is to understand the Playbook OS.
    What you wrote about the Playbook is true; however, I'm willing to cut Chen some slack on interviews -- he doesn't seem all that comfortable with a mic and camera in his face. At least he shows up with a tie, unlike that slob, Louks. I strongly suspect Chen DOES understand BlackBerry 10 pretty well; it's obvious that at a minimum, he's very fond of it. Plus, he seems to be a software guy at heart. As far as devices, I'm actually surprised and pleased he didn't just chuck devices entirely. My impression is he's always wanted to find a way to keep BlackBerry in the device business.

Just my opinions.
    TCB on Z10 and Sairos like this.
    09-30-16 03:56 PM
    Chen never using a PlayBook has nothing to do with knowing the company or his handling of it. Chen was never put into play for the fans or to play nice to our feelings. He was put in place to turn the company around and save it from death, which he has done. Don't hate the player, hate the game, sir.

Just like Heins had his role to play, which was to see the already defined plans run their course, Chen had his as well. You can hate him for it, you can angry at him for it, or whatever else. You don't have to agree with the outcome but, please realize he was never put in the position to save handsets or make friends.
    09-30-16 04:04 PM
    Chen never using a PlayBook has nothing to do with knowing the company or his handling of it. Chen was never put into play for the fans or to play nice to our feelings. He was put in place to turn the company around and save it from death, which he has done. Don't hate the player, hate the game, sir.

Just like Heins had his role to play, which was to see the already defined plans run their course, Chen had his as well. You can hate him for it, you can angry at him for it, or whatever else. You don't have to agree with the outcome but, please realize he was never put in the position to save handsets or make friends.
    Bla1ze I really respect you as a professional and your point of view. But with this thing I can't agree with you - as much as I loved to do.

You need to understand where OS10 has evolved from to understand why it was made up.
    Mike L. saw it as the future for "mobile computing" and it should evolve from there.
    A "real time multitasking computing platform" - mobile computing! And I repeat it - mobile computing platform.

Heins's only goal was to make it to compete with iOS.
    That's a completely different point of view.
    Either you make it uo for consumers or professionals.
    OS10 is capable for both without making compromises.
    That was the whole idea.

Non of both were able to make that.

At least Heins had good taste when it comes to devices

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 04:26 PM
    You need to understand where OS10 has evolved from to understand why it was made up.

Posted via CB10
    Why? Who cares?

Deep knowledge of the PlayBook or the origins of BB10 has no bearing on the current financial situation and the strategic direction of the company. Absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by conite; 09-30-16 at 04:54 PM.
    09-30-16 04:35 PM

Didn't Heins end up at a battery company?
    09-30-16 04:43 PM
    The PlayBook was still on the BlackBerry official website when he took over was it not..could have tried it!

PlayBook UK Channel C001CB4A1
    09-30-16 04:44 PM
    Why? Who cares?

Deep knowledge of the PlayBook or the origins of BB10 has no baring on the current financial situation and the strategic direction of the company. Absolutely nothing.
    It does, one did not come without the other, knowing BB screwd PB owners he would not have screwed BB10 owners and knowing BB screwed itself on BBOS hardware, all these things matter to decisions made in his time.

That interview is very telling of a CEO who understands little of where, who, what and when, people dont leave their trust in people like that in life, the more the man speaks the more he has proved he is not the man for BB
    PlayBook UK, Karan Riar and acovey like this.
    09-30-16 04:44 PM
    Why? Who cares?

Deep knowledge of the PlayBook or the origins of BB10 has no bearing on the current financial situation and the strategic direction of the company. Absolutely nothing.
    Sure it has!

Promoting and pointing out the strengths out of that platform are different things.
    And only thinking about the number of apps would be the way to success is just totally wrong!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 04:59 PM
    Didn't Heins end up at a battery company?
    Powermat.. where he was part of a 'scandal' too.
    09-30-16 05:03 PM

That interview is very telling of a CEO who understands little of where, who, what and when, people dont leave their trust in people like that in life, the more the man speaks the more he has proved he is not the man for BB fans.
    FTFY.

Again, I'm not saying love Chen. I'm just saying, he was never there to save BlackBerry 10 or handsets.
    09-30-16 05:12 PM
    he was never there to save BlackBerry 10 or handsets.
    That sums it up. He was there to save the company. No one would've imagined this company would still exist in 2016, let alone keep releasing devices until that date.
    JeepBB, TgeekB and bakron1 like this.
    09-30-16 05:28 PM
    FTFY.

Again, I'm not saying love Chen. I'm just saying, he was never there to save BlackBerry 10 or handsets.
    This.
    He was there to save Blackberry.
    He did a great job.

People need to understand that BB10 was killing Blackberry.

It was mishandled from the start and there was no way Chen could have turned it around by the time he came in
    09-30-16 05:43 PM
    This.
    He was there to save Blackberry.
    He did a great job.

People need to understand that BB10 was killing Blackberry.

It was mishandled from the start and there was no way Chen could have turned it around by the time he came in
    Well he continued BB10, Android.... he threw everything to the wind, with crap hardware.... same thing that killed BBOS devices, crap hardware.

Shocking Apple brought the first fingerprint reader to market and the security EXPERT Blackberry couldn't, still hasn't!
    09-30-16 06:52 PM
    Shocking Apple brought the first fingerprint reader to market and the security EXPERT Blackberry couldn't, still hasn't!
    Actually, that was Toshiba in 2007 but OK. The Motorola Atrix was the first real player there after that. Then Apple.
    09-30-16 07:33 PM
    Sure it has!

Promoting and pointing out the strengths out of that platform are different things.
    And only thinking about the number of apps would be the way to success is just totally wrong!

Posted via CB10
    But BB10 is done. Gone. Buried. Finished. Over.

It has no bearing on the future.
    09-30-16 07:45 PM
    Actually, that was Toshiba in 2007 but OK. The Motorola Atrix was the first real player there after that. Then Apple.
    To the masses, Motorola has not been a player longer than BB. Its now as niche as BB. Toshiba mobile ?

BB should have been first, its a security company.
    09-30-16 07:51 PM
    But BB10 is done. Gone. Buried. Finished. Over.

It has no bearing on the future.
    It has for those with BB10 devices, who await 10.3.3, forever...
    09-30-16 07:52 PM
    To the masses, Motorola has not been a player longer than BB. Its now as niche as BB. Toshiba mobile ?

BB should have been first, its a security company.
    You're clearly too drunk on some sort of BlackBerry anger to see that I was simply correcting your misinfo lol.
    09-30-16 08:04 PM
    Of all things to have against Chen a product that has been dead for 4 years isnt one of them makes no sense. And it makes no difference about bb10 because that is dead now too. The only thing i might have against Chen is that he didnt move to android fast enough maybe. He is finally out of hardware which is what I think really should have happened a year ago but honestly they made the best they could for this year and finally things look like they are heading full steam ahead
    JeepBB, TgeekB and web99 like this.
    09-30-16 08:17 PM
    If BlackBerry had not released the BlackBerry Priv last year, I would have bought a few more BlackBerry Q5 smartphones and limited myself to using it for email. I cannot type for long poking the screen.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 09:36 PM
    John Chen to me is like president Obama. A man who inherited the worst of situations and miraculously turned it around to something resembling stability. To say he is the reason bb 10 died is completely ridiculous. I was the first of any of my friends to get the q10. And I very quickly realized that despite a fantastic OS the lack of an apps ecosystem , marketing , and developer support , these new devices will quickly fade away. They tried everything and anything : the passport, priv, even budget models like the the dtek-50. NOTHING worked to gain market traction. Imagine yourself as CEO. Everyone on this board has their opinions. Bb should have done this. They should go ultra premium. They Should go keyboard only. They should......etc.

Point is. He rightly saw they had to to transition to software services like IBM. Just everyone accept it. Enjoy the last few months years of your current device. And look forward to new things tomorrow. Such is life ! Ha. That's my two cents after reading countless posts on this board.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-30-16 09:51 PM

By this point do you just copy and paste your answers from a word document since it's the same questions all the time? :P

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 10:22 PM
    It was the first attempt to bring a real time OS to the market. The idea behind that is still anything beyond iOS or Android could ever be!
    There were plenty of real time OS's before PlayBook OS, even on mobile with Symbian.

The PlayBook definitely didn't make BlackBerry iconic.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-30-16 11:14 PM
    I don't know why people think the Playbook was key to BlackBerry and helped BB10. The Playbook was a desperate/ego attempt by Jim and Mike to cash in on the tablet market. Not only was the Playbook a financial disaster. The bigger problem was that it delayed BB10 phones by at least 1 year. There was nothing learned or gained by building a tablet on a 1/2 backed tablet OS. I guess one other thing gained from the Playbook was a lot of unhappy BlackBerry customers.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-01-16 12:47 AM
90 123 ...