Why are most of the blackberry apps i download so incredibly ugly and badly designed? I think this is why Apple is so incredibly successful with their products because Apple users appreciate nice design and aesthetics. And no, ive never owned and Iphone or Ipad, so im not being an "Apple fan boy".

I think blackberry's are great devices and great tools, but it wouldn't hurt to see some more (a lot more) "pretty" apps coming our way. Maybe the typical blackberry user doesn't really care, but i definitely do.

Anyway, maybe its just me.
    04-18-11 04:10 AM
    Why are most of the blackberry apps i download so incredibly ugly and badly designed? I think this is why Apple is so incredibly successful with their products because Apple users appreciate nice design and aesthetics. And no, ive never owned and Iphone or Ipad, so im not being an "Apple fan boy".

I think blackberry's are great devices and great tools, but it wouldn't hurt to see some more (a lot more) "pretty" apps coming our way. Maybe the typical blackberry user doesn't really care, but i definitely do.

Think of what industry is using almost exclusively Apple computers, Graphic Design and Advertising industry, of course their apps are gonna be beautiful

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 04:16 AM
    I know what you mean, man. I actually own an iPhone 4. I briefly made a switch to the Bold as I was getting tired of the iOS UI. Just got kind of bored. I love the Bold form factor. I think it's one of the sexiest phones ever. I would have loved to keep it, but the lack of attractive, robust, and well-supported apps made me eventually go back to iOS. The lack of a better camera and poor browser also weighed into my decision to switch back. I know that's not what BB phones are geared towards, but I wish the BlackBerry catered more to the non-business users in this way so I could have kept that phone. I loved the look, feel, notifications, and battery, but it just wasn't fun to use.
    04-18-11 06:58 AM
    I know what you mean, man. I actually own an iPhone 4. I briefly made a switch to the Bold as I was getting tired of the iOS UI. Just got kind of bored. I love the Bold form factor. I think it's one of the sexiest phones ever. I would have loved to keep it, but the lack of attractive, robust, and well-supported apps made me eventually go back to iOS. The lack of a better camera and poor browser also weighed into my decision to switch back. I know that's not what BB phones are geared towards, but I wish the BlackBerry catered more to the non-business users in this way so I could have kept that phone. I loved the look, feel, notifications, and battery, but it just wasn't fun to use.
    You have a point there about being "fun" to use which is why I ended up going to Android which was highly entertaining. Still, I missed those parts of the BB that it DOES do well - notifications, LEDs, call quality, battery life, etc. so now that I have an Android tablet, I'm going back to the BB for just those things. I have my tablet for the most of my data and play stuff but when it comes down to needing the phone functions, I want my BB. Period.
    04-18-11 09:43 AM
    Agreed, a little icon "makeover" would be a good change from the ordinary.
    I guess we'll just wait & watch what happens.
    04-18-11 09:58 AM
    Isn't Blackberry advertised as having "super apps"?
    04-18-11 10:12 AM
    kind of agree with the OP that the the aesthetics side of blackberry apps is not that great compared to the iPhones but to begin with, i think blackberry isn't really geared towards that and aims more on functionality.

Think of it this way! iPhones look fancy but somehow still lack certain basic functions. Blackberry on the other hand, with not so good looking apps and UI but with great, stable and reliable functionality!
    04-18-11 10:29 AM

It's not you. I tried a Scrabble-like game on my Storm and gave up using it almost immediately because I couldn't manipulate the elements of the game. It was nigh impossible to take a tile from the rack and place it on the game board. On my touch, I have plenty of apps that perform well, as well as look great. There's very little I've got loaded on my Storm2. Browsing the web is nearly useless too. I tried to read a long thread on a forum this morning (not CB) but gave up after the page refused to move past a certain point, keeping me from reading more than about 20% of the thread.
    04-18-11 10:36 AM
    Apples is a very closed system aren't they? I think you must adhere to a certain design aesthetic for Apple to even consider your app. As a matter of fact, I had read a while back that any additions one wanted to make to the approved icon set within Apple's palette had to be approved by their design board.

Perhaps RIM is slow on the design uptake due to its tight tie with straightforward business. I'm just saying.

I don't download nor use many third party apps, so I really don't know of any design issues. Hopefully the QNX, TAT and Playbook will be the catalysts of more uniform icons, unified design elements and overall a more modern and "sexy" looking UI.

04-18-11 08:44 PM
    The QNX platform will no doubt improve the aesthetics on the future of the BlackBerry UI.
    04-18-11 08:58 PM
    I personally love the UI interface and don't have the issues others have.

Then again, I don't get into a bunch of needless apps. I get the ones I use and personally think the simple apps I have work just fine for me.

Sexy apps? Aesthetics of an app? I honestly don't get it...I can see how hardware might need updated and overall UI to a point, but apps, not so much.

Just my opinion though.

04-19-11 01:42 AM
    I'll take less eye candy on the apps with everything BB does for me over flashy apps on a device that won't take me through a full day.
    04-19-11 04:33 AM

Yerrmmm well, that depends a bit on the developer. There are blackberry apps that have nice UIs. Also, depends a bit on the platform, you just cant put on blackberry devices the same animations you can put on devices with more processing power and a gpu, yeah, gpu, makes a world of difference in displaying animations.
    04-19-11 05:07 AM
    I dont know guys, i just feel that the developers should spend a little more time designing their apps to look as good as they are supposed to perform. And that doesn't have to be CPU intensive fade in's or what not, but could be simple things like better looking icons and menu's.

It cant be that expensive to hire a freelance designer to do that for you?
    04-19-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD