I have used a Nexus 5 for a few months, and had the possibility of getting a cheap Q5. I have been longing for a phone with a great keyboard for a very long time. I used to own an HTC Desire Z but found it to be pure rubbish. I ended up finding a 440 ppi screen resolution to be completely unneeded. I also ended up finding apps in general to be useless, and a colossal waste of time.

I initially wanted to get the el-cheapo Q5 to toy with as a secondary phone in case I'd have to write e-mails for my job and as a general curiosity, but I was blown away, especially by OS 10. There are some really clever ideas and features in the OS. I'm sure all the competitors will copy the Hub in their next revision. It is professional, slick, robust, and it has hands down the best security features. It is simply a blast to use.

It's such a job to have a real keyboard, I despise touch screens with burning hatred. Suddenly I can write e-mails without being afraid to make a ton of different typos and having the auto-correction software make all kinds of enraging unwanted substitutions.

It feels like finally finding a home. I'm going to get these phones until BlackBerry stops putting them out, hopefully never. Also as a Canadian (although a French Canadian), it makes me feel a little proud like I'm batting for the home team. Every few years I'll get the keyboard phone with the biggest screen.

Now all I want is a native BB10 version of Opera Mini.
    03-30-14 10:25 PM
    Welcome to BBRY, it's not perfect but it is actually superior to the leading os's. For your goals it is actually perfect but there are a few things you'll find challenging. Load up the latest leaked or official os add snap to get almost all of the android apps you might actually want and have already downloaded or purchased.

If you can go for a Q10 but a Q5 is certainly a solid solution.
    03-30-14 10:41 PM
    Z30 is my first blackberry, I am a touch screen fan myself, but I agree with you. The keyboard and hub are my favourite things that set it apart (from iPhone in my case). And apps generally are over rated. BlackBerry has most of the apps I need and the small handful of other apps are just loaded from android

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:47 PM
    Definitely. To me "apps" are basically a Ponzi scheme to lure venture capitalists in, but in 99.5% of the cases they offer nothing of value. I can't wait for this bubble to crash and burn like it deserves to. I don't care about yet another gimmicky, braindead game with a cartoon character and horrible controls, an icon for an HTML5 website, a "useful function" that only makes me spend more time on frivolous or narcissistic endeavors, or for yet another "clever" service that will already be derelict in 3 years. Just thinking about it makes me angry.

Blackberry looks like a device for people who want to get actual work done and who hate to spend time on useless gimmicks.
    robk312 and CoyoteV8 like this.
    03-30-14 10:51 PM
    The app debate is pointless. Ask someone with a 250 gig ipod how often they listen to all of the songs they've put on their ipod. Same goes with apps, you can have 25 installed but oftentimes it's the same couple being used. I love BlackBerry phones, and I'm glad you've found a phone that works for you!

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    03-30-14 10:54 PM
    Cool, I also had a crappy HTC Desire and ended up getting a Q5 mostly for the keyboard and partially because I'm Canadian. Haven't looked back since, this phone is a champ!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 11:03 PM
    Welcome to BlackBerry! In the same way, I have used up all operating systems. Android Kitkat, IOS7, Windows Phone 8.1 and Blackberry 7.
    I am a fan of BlackBerry since 2012 only because of it's legendary keyboard and fast messaging tools.

I'm currently using a Blackberry Z10 and I love the keyboard and the hub and everything about it. Specially the browser that can even play 2048 game on web. Blackberry may not be popular in my country but for me it just works.

Posted via skinned Z10 STL100-2/ 10.2.1.2102 my DadaBerry
    03-30-14 11:09 PM
    Hey welcome. I think if anyone switches or tries BB10 these days will be pleasantly surprised. The unwarranted negative perception is way out of control. I'm glad you're happy so far. It gets better with age for sure.

Powered by BlackBerry
    srzjumper likes this.
    03-30-14 11:12 PM
    Remember you can get most of your favourite Android apps (should they not be available for your BB10 device) by using Snap or 1Mobile.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F
    03-30-14 11:24 PM
    Congrats on your new BlackBerry. I'm completely satisfied with mine and believe it's the best smartphone in the world. Enjoy.

Z10 10.3 Rocks!
    03-30-14 11:34 PM
    What did your friends and colleagues said about your decision switching to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 02:10 AM
    Hey welcome. I think if anyone switches or tries BB10 these days will be pleasantly surprised. The unwarranted negative perception is way out of control. I'm glad you're happy so far. It gets better with age for sure.

Powered by BlackBerry
    Indeed! I was pleasantly surprised with a co-worker's Z10 --- I was blown away by the speed and the accuracy of the touch keyboard so much so that instead of getting a Samsung 4 or iPhone, which I had strongly considered getting, I opted instead for the Z10; and this just last Friday.
    xBURK and wyrdfool like this.
    03-31-14 02:37 AM
    Welcome to BlackBerry and congratulations on your new acquisition! The typing experience really is on a whole other level. Glad to hear you're satisfied with your new phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 03:10 AM
    Welcome to our community aka all you ever wanted to ask about BlackBerry and got all the answers
    03-31-14 03:30 AM
    What did your friends and colleagues said about your decision switching to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    I work from a home office, so I'm away from them and they don't know.

The relatives/friends I've shown it to have been mildly intrigued in some cases, but not enough to consider this as an alternative.

Indeed! I was pleasantly surprised with a co-worker's Z10 --- I was blown away by the speed and the accuracy of the touch keyboard so much so that instead of getting a Samsung 4 or iPhone, which I had strongly considered getting, I opted instead for the Z10; and this just last Friday.
    Have you also tried Swiftkey on Android?

And yes, if I had a good deal enough I would consider this as well.
    03-31-14 06:54 AM
    Definitely. To me "apps" are basically a Ponzi scheme to lure venture capitalists in, but in 99.5% of the cases they offer nothing of value. I can't wait for this bubble to crash and burn like it deserves to. I don't care about yet another gimmicky, braindead game with a cartoon character and horrible controls, an icon for an HTML5 website, a "useful function" that only makes me spend more time on frivolous or narcissistic endeavors, or for yet another "clever" service that will already be derelict in 3 years. Just thinking about it makes me angry.

Blackberry looks like a device for people who want to get actual work done and who hate to spend time on useless gimmicks.
    And thus the the reason BB is in the shape they are today.
    03-31-14 03:44 PM
    The BlackBerry Z30 is amazing for me.
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-31-14 04:37 PM
    The BlackBerry Z30 is amazing for me.
    That's why you will always be the Z30man.
    03-31-14 04:40 PM
    Welcome aboard!
    03-31-14 05:18 PM
    And thus the the reason BB is in the shape they are today.

Better to cater to a smaller yet dedicated clientele who wants something truly professional and reliable than to every Joe 6 pack under the sun who wants worthless free-to-play apps and other gimmicks, an overly saturated field occupied by companies who will always have 20 times as much money and resources than Blackberry ever could.

It really seems to be what their new CEO understood.
    Cyanide971 and xBURK like this.
    03-31-14 05:46 PM
    Op where have you been? But I'm glad you are finally in

? Slicing using my ?
    03-31-14 06:14 PM
    Better to cater to a smaller yet dedicated clientele who wants something truly professional and reliable than to every Joe 6 pack under the sun who wants worthless free-to-play apps and other gimmicks, an overly saturated field occupied by companies who will always have 20 times as much money and resources than Blackberry ever could.

It really seems to be what their new CEO understood.
    There are so many things wrong with what you said I hardly know where to begin.
    bekkay likes this.
    03-31-14 06:16 PM

I'm quite shocked you didn't get a host of likes and thanks for this post.
    07thking and VancIsland like this.
    03-31-14 06:21 PM
    Gimmicks sell.
    03-31-14 07:50 PM
    I'm quite shocked you didn't get a host of likes and thanks for this post.
    Haha. That was good............and true.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    03-31-14 07:57 PM
41 12