I have a rather strange problem I've never encountered before...or I guess noticed.

I use Penn State's Webmail System for email from school. This has an IMAP Functionality, which is how it is set up through BIS.

I'm lucky enough to receive a ridiculous amount of spam through this email address. The system catches it all as spam, and it is put into my Junk Mail Folder on the server...however, it still pushes the emails to my Blackberry, so I have to deal with deleting it.

There is no option on the online email client to disable this at all. Anybody have any ideas?
    05-13-09 11:09 AM
    I have gmail setup on imap and most of my span is caught, but lately I have been getting a lot of spam and other than report it as spam, I don't know how to filter it better.
    05-13-09 11:24 AM
    Well the thing is, it is reported as spam. It shows up as Junk Mail in my online email folder, but it still gets pushed to my device.
    05-13-09 11:28 AM
    Can you change your spam filter setting to add "SPAM:" to the title? If so, you could then filter your BIS email to avoid the SPAM: ones.
    05-13-09 12:48 PM
    Can you change your spam filter setting to add "SPAM:" to the title? If so, you could then filter your BIS email to avoid the SPAM: ones.
    Thats actually a pretty neat idea - I might try that. I've actually reluctantly kept my g-mail account as POP not only because messages arrive considerably quicker on my device, but I was also getting a few SPAM messages here and there on my device. Otherwise, I can honestly say that I never get SPAM pushed to my phone. Thank God!

ALB
    05-13-09 02:40 PM
    Unfortunately, this is not possible. PSU does not let us modify their SPAM Filter, only to mark items as spam, and not spam.

Any other ideas? I've started filtering out Spam through BIS, but then sometimes I miss real messages.
    05-13-09 11:13 PM
    I can't help you with this, but this thread took me back to my Penn State days. Man, I remember getting 250-300 spam messages per day...

My first time through (BS Computer Engineering) I used SpamBayes and deleted the stragglers by hand. For my second trip (Masters Software Engineering) I ended up filtering it through a GMail account which only let through one or two messages per week. A huge improvement.
    05-14-09 11:34 AM
    Unfortunately, this is not possible. PSU does not let us modify their SPAM Filter, only to mark items as spam, and not spam.

Any other ideas? I've started filtering out Spam through BIS, but then sometimes I miss real messages.

unfortunately it looks like the spam is handled after it arrives there for your access is pushing all emails to the device and I pretty much believe unless they change it on there end there isn't a whole ton you can do.

You can try and set up filters but with spam they change it so much that usually you just end up adding filters everyday on your bis.
    05-14-09 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD