Mobile OS Maker Jolla To Cut Half Its Staff, Restructure Its Debt After Funding Stalls

Another one bites the dust. The Jolla tablet that was crowdfunded will expect additional delays. I don't expect Jolla to ever produce another hardware device beyond that. They will attempt to carry on by licensing their software or shutter the shop.

Android and IOS are too strong and the money to operate goes with them unless you are MS who keeps on losing marketshare despite billions and more billions.

Firefox OS will be next as they don't have a senior partner who can continue to pump money into operations unlike Tizen/Samsung or Win10/MS.

Around half of Jolla’s staff will be laid off as the startup tightens its belt to make do in the interim — although it’s describing these as “temporary” job cuts, clearly hoping to be able to rehire once or if funding starts flowing again. It’s also filed for a debt restructuring program in Finland to ensure it can still keep operating during the funding gap.

“We are of course hoping that these are temporary actions… And we are committed to continue the company but really this depends on the external investors as well, how are we able to continue operations,” Saaarnio adds.
    11-20-15 03:53 PM
    Nothing is confirmed yet.
    Having followed Jolla and Sailfish since 2012 they have made some big mistakes, which I really hope doesn't come back to haunt them.
    11-20-15 03:57 PM
    A solution looking for a problem (or rather a market).
    rthonpm likes this.
    11-20-15 03:59 PM
    Nothing is confirmed yet.
    Having followed Jolla and Sailfish since 2012 they have made some big mistakes, which I really hope doesn't come back to haunt them.
    I don't see how they can pivot to another strategy at this point. BB saw the tea leaves in 2014 and decided on a parallel Android track, its too late for Jolla.
    11-20-15 04:06 PM
    I don't see how they can pivot to another strategy at this point. BB saw the tea leaves in 2014 and decided on a parallel Android track, its too late for Jolla.
    Not too late yet, they need to get devices out, ones like the Intex device is taking way to long.
    11-20-15 04:11 PM
    At this rate I may never get my tablet
    11-20-15 04:20 PM
    Yeah, still waiting for the tablet as it's at least 6 months late now. Seriously considering getting a refund for it as soon as they offer it. That's the last rumor I heard and hopefully for the as well. Sometimes being an early adopter doesn't work out too well.
    11-20-15 08:34 PM
    This is too bad. Their OS has a lot of similarities to BB10 and I was hoping it would be an option when I was ready to move on from BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 09:24 PM
    Firefox OS will be next as they don't have a senior partner who can continue to pump money into operations unlike Tizen/Samsung or Win10/MS.
    Firefox OS is done.

Firefox OS proved the flexibility of the Web, scaling from low-end smartphones all the way up to HD TVs,” said Ari Jaaksi, Mozilla’s SVP of connected devices, in a statement. “However, we weren’t able to offer the best user experience possible and so we will stop offering Firefox OS smartphones through carrier channels
    12-08-15 07:20 PM
    This is too bad. Their OS has a lot of similarities to BB10 and I was hoping it would be an option when I was ready to move on from BB10.

Posted via CB10

Agreed.

Let's hope it survives.
    I hope to have an option other than just Windows phone if the time comes when BB10 is no longer an option.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2813 CB10 
    12-08-15 07:46 PM
    Does that guys name actually have 3 consecutive letter 'a's?
    12-08-15 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, this. Plus it's open source, and more of a by-the-people-for-the-people project than other OSes... :-)

Hope for the best! :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    12-08-15 09:45 PM
    Windows phone is pretty good actually. If the choice is one of three non private operating systems, it is probably the best choice for former BlackBerry users.
    12-09-15 05:21 AM
    If BB decides to kill the BB10 OS, I am getting the latest windows phone for sure. Android crap ,and restrictive/ closed Apple Ios are not for me.

  
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-09-15 08:59 AM
    It's sad to see that minor players cannot survive in the market. Jolla laying off people was bad, Firefox OS shutting down was bad, and I'm sure Ubuntu Phone will not survive long either.

Unlike a few people here, I'm open minded about my phone OS. I used BB10 devices because they suited my usage best, and I'm using a Priv because the benefits of Android on a PKB device outweigh the slight annoyances that the OS brings. I've also recently tried an iPhone 6 for a few days, and while it still doesn't suit my preferences, I can see why people love the OS so much. Just like OSX - it just works, and the integration is impressive. Windows Phone 10 is not as smooth as WP8.1 was, but it is getting better and I was hoping for Project Astoria to stick around, but they removed it so it's still struggling on the app front.

My worry is that with most of the alternative OS's dying, there'll be little need to seriously innovate once we are only limited to two or three OS choices. I hoped that HTML5 apps would take off, making all OS's pretty much equivalent, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    12-09-15 09:15 AM
    I hoped that HTML5 apps would take off, making all OS's pretty much equivalent, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
    One bright point in the nightime sky is that Speedtest came out with a beta HTML5 version of their application.
    12-09-15 10:39 AM
    but it is getting better and I was hoping for Project Astoria to stick around, but they removed it so it's still struggling on the app front.
    I'm glad that didn't stick around. It would have just filled the Store with nothing but half hearted ports. I know I'm in the minority by not being dependent on apps, but I would rather have the store where it is instead of being filled with crap ports. *shrugs*
    12-09-15 12:49 PM
    Windows phone is pretty good actually. If the choice is one of three non private operating systems, it is probably the best choice for former BlackBerry users.
    *Windows phone 10. Windows phone 8 has a few annoying nuances that get resolved in 10.

Right now Windows phone 10 is my plan B, but it will have to be a high quality handset. I tried switching to a BLU WIN HD LTE but I was actually desperate to get back to my Z30. I'll probably keep my Z30 for as long as I can now.
    jope28 likes this.
    12-09-15 01:28 PM
    Doesn't bode well.... "filed for a debt restructuring program in Finland to ensure it can still keep operating during the funding gap."

Think investors have seen that the mobile OS game has been decided. It's Android and iOS. Even the mighty Microsoft with their billions of dollars and thousands of software engineers, are in big trouble. Two are three of those post 2010 OS have already folded, and the others are all struggling. Only Tizen "seems" to be making a go of it.... but with pretty small numbers and the might of Samsung pushing it all the way.
    12-09-15 01:29 PM
    I suspect that Tizen will be a lot like Bada - first-time smartphone buyers may buy them because they're dirt cheap, but they won't buy a second one - they'll move to Android once they run up against the limitations of Tizen - limitations that many weren't aware of when they bought their Tizen phone..
    12-09-15 01:53 PM
    You can't compare a blu handset to what you are used to from BlackBerry. We got Nokia handsets and the build quality is great.
    12-10-15 05:39 PM
    Dang. Less choice is not better! Looks more and more likely that I will be continuing to use BB10 for an indefinite period of time! Long live BlackBery.
    12-10-15 07:58 PM
    I suspect that Tizen will be a lot like Bada - first-time smartphone buyers may buy them because they're dirt cheap, but they won't buy a second one - they'll move to Android once they run up against the limitations of Tizen - limitations that many weren't aware of when they bought their Tizen phone..
    And even in "dirt cheap" category Tizen will have to compete against "dirt cheap" Android OEMs ... for example, I currently have an Android One phone which I get for approximately USD 75 (current exchange rate) unlocked, which is already in Marshmallow 6.0.1
    12-11-15 09:03 AM
    Another mobile company trying something new, and nearly dead. I better get started, I am usually all over these kinds of things. I am still in love with BB10 though (ducking and running for cover).
    12-11-15 10:58 AM
    Funny really. Microsoft use to be so hated and yet are now one of the good guys. Somehow Apple has avoided the bully wrap though no doubt have earned it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-15 11:35 AM
26 12