A lot of talk about what the phone will be able to do with the "other half" system, but I haven't found a single demo. So where is the basis for talking about "good quality operating systems"?
    Sounds very much like BB10 on the subject of mobile computing, a lot of fluff about the "vision" but no actual demo, unless your counting a over priced Bentley as one.

But Meego (now sailfish) had a massive following, just not big enough for market penetration, much like BB die hard fans.
    05-22-13 06:39 AM
    Really interesting to read all the comments, I wonder how sailfish would be trying to prevent malware in android apps as I imagine you have a higher chance of this if you have to download apps from anywhere apart from the play store?

If I were a rich man who could afford to have multiple phones I might give this a go but as I have only just invested in the z10 I am sure I won't be changing my phone for at least a couple of years and the mobile world could be a very different place then.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 07:02 AM
    The difference with Jolla and BB10 when suggesting fluff and "vision" is that 2 years ago, Jolla didn't exist. They are a small startup with @ 70-80 employees. they didn't buy and OS and then "develop" it. they don;t have massive cash reserves or a large R&D team and until this week, didn;t have a handset.
    Given the challenges in developing and OS, UI and then integrating that with hardware design and operation/functionality on a working pre-production device, I'd suggest they've done a pretty awesome job up to this point.

as for MeeGo, it was never actually seen in a mobile handset that went to market. Other than the Aava dev platform, Lg presented a prototype (GW900/990 from memory), and the vast majority of working meego stuff now is on N9's and N950 dev devices, running the Community edition with closed source blobs as provided by nokia before the partnership with Intel failed.
    The Nokia N9 is not MeeGo per-se. MeeGo-Harmattan is the name attached to the next evolution of Maemo. It is, in real terms Maemo (nokia internet tablet) Harmattan with a number of MeeGo compliant API's installed to allow it to use the name MeeGo.
    MeeGo development at Nokia was essentially killed by Elop after the "Burning Platform" Memo which prefaced the move to MS and WP as the preferred handset OS for their mid-high end devices. to this end, Nokia's real MeeGo device was never released.
    the N9 however was DOA, as it was released several months of the announcement to abandon Symbian and MeeGo. It was given paltry media/pr funding and only released in predominantly small and insignificant markets, one could speculate, to guarantee small sales and minimal uptake (helping to further justify Elop's position I'd argue)
    Despite this, current estimates (Nokia has steadfastly refused to provide actual figures) based on overall handset sales and product breakdowns from their own annual reports indicate well over 1,000,000 handsets were sold, which is a raging success given the limited distribution and short life.
    05-22-13 07:30 AM
    The more videos I watch of Jolla and Ubuntu phone to a lesser degree the more I think that Blackberry really needs to stay on top of its game as these seem similar OS's but have quite a few things that I think outshine BB10, such as the active panes on Jolla being interactive or Ubuntu being able to swipe to get straight back into the last app used. I think Blackberry could add similar functions but need to do it quickly as if I was shown Samsung Galaxy 4, iphone 5, Nokia 920, Blackberry z10, Ubuntu and Jolla without knowing their backgrounds I would think that Jolla was the phone with the billions pounds worth of development behind it. BB10, Sailfish and Ubuntu all make IOS and Android look very very outdated and I think IOS and Android will need to change quickly if any of these three get any traction in the market as I think more and more people would want one of these if they were aware of them.
    anon(4320318) likes this.
    05-23-13 01:43 PM
    IMHO there would be a market for a serious phone. Like a Q10 or slider, with a non too difficult but heavily gestured interface that could be learned easily, for those who use a phone in a simple manner. And it would also have all the deep configurable profile stuff, like the older Blackberries who those like having an extremely configurable phone. Q10 could get there, but that remains to be seen. Requires a lot of work and testing. I still miss my Palm Pre. But overall BB is doing a good thing.
    05-23-13 02:58 PM
    I almost registered for one of these phones but then I thought I was being very harsh on Blackberry as I have only had my phone for 3 months and already I am thinking of changing, not because I am particularily unhappy with my phone but just that sailfish looks as though it is taking it to the next level. I didn't register as I hope that by the time the jolla phone comes out blackberry will have implemented some of the better ideas from sailfish andyway and smoothed out some of the small bugs, if not maybe I will sell my blackberry z10 and try the jolla phone but I imagine they will have plenty of bugs to iron out as well when they launch.
    05-27-13 07:50 AM
    bobo if you want it, go for it and dont limit yourself to protect Blackberry. Lots of people get the urge to change phones after a few months it doesnt mean the current platform is bad, besides you can dual wield until you decide which you prefer then sell the other and come back next year when the next phones are out
    05-27-13 08:08 AM
    Ever since I owned a Nokia N9 I have been hooked on the swiping setup of a system. The N9 did this even better than BB10 in some regards (and in my opinion).

This is also why I went from Android to my Z10 a couple of weeks ago. I just like swiping that much. The N9 was ahead of its time. Shame Nokia abandoned it before even releasing it. They should have promoted it instead of selling their soul to Microsoft. This could had been a Nokia N10.

Undecided whether I will get a Jolla or not.
    05-27-13 08:42 AM
    Here is another video for those who might not have seen it -

Jolla has also done away with the virtual back button so there is no status bar showing at the bottom. The whole screen is used for whatever you may do. That's a nice touch I think.

The pulley system looks very clever as well.

It seems very well thought out.

BB10 is very good yet it isn't a massive jump from the N9 aside from better specs and nicer graphics. Jolla on the other hand seems to have made a bigger leap.

The Jolla phone might not be as good as BB10 for messaging and will probably have a few bugs etc at launch, which phone doesn't! I like the look of it enough to take it for a spin. This is probably the first phone that has come along that might make me consider leaving Blackberry who I've been with since 2008 although I have and do use Android alongside my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:10 AM
    bobo if you want it, go for it and dont limit yourself to protect Blackberry. Lots of people get the urge to change phones after a few months it doesnt mean the current platform is bad, besides you can dual wield until you decide which you prefer then sell the other and come back next year when the next phones are out
    I guess you are right but as I have only just switched from IOS to Blackberry after having an iphone for 2.5 years so I dont know if I should look at switching again, plus my wife wont be impressed with me buying another new phone so soon after buying the z10 ;-)

I previously didnt have loyalty to phone companies or OS's before an iphone as previously I happily went from a Sony C905 to a Nokia N97 without a care in the world but since my iphone I feel it more important to buy into the whole ecosystem. I tried a windows phone and I really did like the interface but as security and privacy is important to me I didnt like having to have all of my emails linked to my phone so I looked at the z10 as I had seen some nice videos of the interface.

Now I feel as though I am cheating on my great z10 by looking at the Jolla.

I enjoyed the N9 video by the way, and the other Jolla video. If I am honest I think there are too many question marks for me for this phone and OS at the moment but I hope it takes off at least so it keeps the other companies including Blackberry innovating.
    Last edited by bobo616; 05-27-13 at 12:30 PM.
    05-27-13 10:14 AM
    Oh! I'm aware.... I've even pre ordered one. it is gorgeous.

Attachment 163793

Yes, it looks like BB10 a bit. Blackberry copied Meego. Jolla took over the Meego project.

Posted via CB10
    I've preordered one too. Now, if BBM comes to SailFish...

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    05-27-13 01:02 PM
    I've preordered one too. Now, if BBM comes to SailFish...

Wouldn't you be able to sideload the android version?
    05-27-13 01:24 PM
    Wouldn't you be able to sideload the android version?
    I was being sarcastic hence the "..." at the end of my sentence.

05-27-13 04:07 PM
    BBM.APK file < now that sounds weird doesn't it? Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 03:34 PM
39 12