Actually Meego copied PBOS. BB10 OS was in the works then but wasn't released until 2013. If BB10 was to release in its original year not delayed it would be Meego who copied BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Someone likes to stretch history. Meego was announced before the PlayBook was fella

Posted via CB10
    Etios, bekkay, Saiga and 3 others like this.
    11-21-13 03:35 AM
    How is Jolla going to gain any kind of user base.... it just isn't a known brand.

Posted via CB10
    They need much smaller user base than others eg BlackBerry to exist and be profitable.

Jolla has 80 employees and it makes them approximately HUNDRED times smaller than BB. Much, much lover overheads.

Virtually every MeeGo user know about Jolla and Nokia N9 is still used by many looking for upgrade but not willing to jump apple/droid/WP.
    MeeGo N9 was the last true Nokia before Microsoft hijacking the company.

Jolla is open source and that gives them support from OS community.

Their OS can be installed on android phones like Galaxy S4 or Nexus.

Hundreds thousands install Cyanogenmod, they can as well try Sailfish OS on their phones and happen to like it.

Jolla has a chance.

Posted via CB10
    Saiga, Berry_Pink and Louis Larsen like this.
    11-21-13 08:25 AM
    No matter what, there is no way possible for Jolla Sailfish to become as big as a commercial failure as BlackBerry's new platform is.

Starting from the day BlackBerry bought QNX till now, BlackBerry has lost nearly 3 billion dollars on their new and improved platform. And that figure comes directly from BlackBerry's own earnings reports. No way could Sailfish become that big of a flop.

As msps put it, BlackBerry is a huge company compared to Jolla. They had to go big to even have a shot. That meant mass producing devices people weren't interested in buying. Jolla isn't a huge company. They are basically making the first Sailfish phone by order, ensuring they won't end up with warehouse filled with unsold inventory.

Im more excited about Jolla's chances than BlackBerry's at the moment. BlackBerry 10 already had its shot and failed, Sailfish isn't even out yet, but it does have somethings going for it. The hardware compatibility with existing Android devices is very interesting. It means that millions of people could have the chance to load up Sailfish and try it out if they choose to, all without losing their Android apps. It also means that company's like Sony, LG and HTC could take their existing Android phone hardware and stick Sailfish on it instead.

BlackBerry's 1% of the market is rather impressive, but I think Sailfish might have a shot of beating it. Either way, I plan on buying a Sailfish phone and a Firefox phone in the near future. I'm excited about both of those new platforms.
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    11-21-13 09:31 AM
    How is Jolla going to gain any kind of user base.... it just isn't a known brand.

Posted via CB10
    Once upon a time Apple, Samsung and BlackBerry were unknown brands..

Who knows how Jolla will do? As they are a tiny company they don't need to sell tens of millions of phones to make a profit so they could survive as a niche with steady growth over time.

Yes, they could fail but hopefully they won't. I like them.

Jolla does get talked about a fair but here on the world's biggest BlackBerry forum so they are gaining recognition all the time.

Hoping to have my Jolla phone in the next few weeks

Posted via CB10
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    11-24-13 05:14 AM
    Any chance you're willing to do reviews or offer hookups? I've pre-ordered long time ago but as the phone is only avail in its native land, ppl like me in NA or Aus are out of luck.

PS, I'm also a proud N9 user.
    11-24-13 08:30 AM
    There will be reviews aplenty from Wednesday 27/11 when the phone launches. I'll give my opinion on it too after I get it

As for hook ups, as hard as it may be, wouldn't it be better to wait until it does launch in your country as that way you can ensure that 4G will work on the bands your country uses?

More details should be announced on Wednesday regarding all that or soon after.

If I was to take delivery of your phone and forward it on to you I'd worry about it getting lost or damaged in the post or such like. What if it was faulty and needed warranty repair?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 09:03 AM
    By watching videos on Jolla it's sadly more advanced then BB10 feature wise.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 09:18 AM
    Funny title considering that BB is relying on Google to fill the "app gap".
    Jolla is relying on Google to fill there app gap as well...

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-24-13 11:20 AM
    Jolla never tried to deny that.

They have official addroid app store preinstalled on their devices from day one.
    11-24-13 02:26 PM
    Jolla never tried to deny that.

They have official addroid app store preinstalled on their devices from day one.
    Ya I'm aware of that, I was simply stating that you shouldn't point you finger at BlackBerry for using Android to fill the app gap when Jolla is publicly going to do the same thing.
    Android apps are in BlackBerry World and blackberry was never quiet about the fact that we could run android.

Edit, Jolla sailfish will not have Google play, it comes pre-installed with yandex app store and there are only 85k android apps in that store... the grass is not greener on the other side, I don't think

I have yandex on my z10 as well its not a big deal...

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 05:16 PM
    There will be reviews aplenty from Wednesday 27/11 when the phone launches. I'll give my opinion on it too after I get it

As for hook ups, as hard as it may be, wouldn't it be better to wait until it does launch in your country as that way you can ensure that 4G will work on the bands your country uses?

More details should be announced on Wednesday regarding all that or soon after.

If I was to take delivery of your phone and forward it on to you I'd worry about it getting lost or damaged in the post or such like. What if it was faulty and needed warranty repair?

Posted via CB10
    Better? Yes. Do I have the patience? No. Been waiting too long, and they don't even mention if it'll be avail int or for canada. I'd use it for social occasion or weekend getaway phone instead daily driver. Need the Q10 for that.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:50 PM
    Edit, Jolla sailfish will not have Google play, it comes pre-installed with yandex app store and there are only 85k android apps in that store... the grass is not greener on the other side, I don't think

I have yandex on my z10 as well its not a big deal...

Posted via CB10
    Yandex is official in that it comes with Sailfish phones. It isn't like people with BlackBerry 10 using a working around to make up for shortcomings. People will be able to unbox a Jolla smartphone and have a Android app store already there and ready for them to use on day one. No hours spent reading tutorials and forum posts on how to load a leaked OS and load up a Android app store. It will just be there.

What percentage of the population is willing to do the work it requires to get Yandex on BlackBerry 10? I'd imagine it is pretty small.
    11-24-13 07:09 PM
    Yandex is official in that it comes with Sailfish phones. It isn't like people with BlackBerry 10 using a working around to make up for shortcomings. People will be able to unbox a Jolla smartphone and have a Android app store already there and ready for them to use on day one. No hours spent reading tutorials and forum posts on how to load a leaked OS and load up a Android app store. It will just be there.

What percentage of the population is willing to do the work it requires to get Yandex on BlackBerry 10? I'd imagine it is pretty small.
    10.2.1 will go official eventually. I'm running it already but let's pretend for a second it's already officially released
    You go to yandex website you download the app and click install on the phone.
    No work around....
    Now back to reality, there are androids apps in BlackBerry world. Had the app port program been more successful there could have been more. But there is only 85,000 advertisement filled apps in yandex... I'd argue BlackBerry World is just as good as yandex right now.
    Jolla users will be disappointed regardless of the fact that it came pre-installed. They will be doing all the same work around were doing with apps like snap and DROID store.
    I say we're better off... just my 2 cents tho, Jolla looks cool don't get me wrong. I don't hate them or anything like that...

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:42 PM
    I've seen the videos for the Jolla phone. I like the transitions and some of the things you can do. I do worry about the battery life with all that going on all the time. Same as having the apps continuously running in the background a l� PlayBook OS. It has no on/off/home button but whether you like it or not, that affects the battery life as well on the PB and BB10. These features are all great but affect long term usability. BB10 OS could handle all these things but I'm sure were left out for battery life and or OS stability. Given that the whole BB10 OS was developed and released in 3 years(a fraction of the time that Jolla has had to work on their OS) with many of the same features and updates coming at a good pace, I think BlackBerry is coming along fine. They can't do everything at once. I also noticed that at times in the demo the gestures either didn't work as intended or seemed to need a long initial press before movement. The latter may not have been the case and as for the former, yes BB10 can have this problem as well. I like the look of the OS and the flow of it. As for copying, unfortunately all OS'S will eventually become gesture based. It is just the evolution of operating systems. I'm not sure Jolla will be able to grow fast enough to get ahead of the curve or suffer BlackBerry's fate. Yes Jolla is small and that will help them, but that does not ensure long term viability. I see someone possibly acquiring them in the future. I could be wrong. At least BlackBerry has BBM for possible future revenue and BES10. Stream lining, focusing the company, and NOT over producing phones is where their focus needs to be. Showing a profit ASAP will help BlackBerry in the long run. If they can't do that, they won't even have to worry about Jolla as competition. Because they won't be in the competition.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:48 PM
    I wish Jolla the best but I don't think anyone can take on android and apple at this point.
    Apple seems to be able to polish the same thing year over year and break records with it and android is free and they can sell at price points that no one can touch.
    I don't see Jolla as a business / government device so they will have to compete against the android army and apple. there going to have the same issue as BlackBerry 10. Neat os. Not enough apps. So says the media....

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-24-13 08:03 PM
    I wish Jolla the best but I don't think anyone can take on android and apple at this point.
    Apple seems to be able to polish the same thing year over year and break records with it and android is free and they can sell at price points that no one can touch.
    I don't see Jolla as a business / government device so they will have to compete against the android army and apple. there going to have the same issue as BlackBerry 10. Neat os. Not enough apps. So says the media....

Posted via CB10
    Yep same with Firefox OS and Ubuntu phone. I really wish we can just get to the point where every app is accessible on every platform so people could pick based on OS rather than apps and ecosystem. WP8 is getting close though.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:46 PM
    Actually, unfortunately, Sailfish came first through meego

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:51 PM
42 12