There has been a lot of buzz regarding BlackBerry launching an Android smartphone. For those restraining excitement until rumors became reality – the day has come.

I confirmed today that the slider phone we very briefly unveiled earlier this year will indeed be an Android smartphone named Priv.

John Chen: BlackBerry and Android: Expanding Our World-.jpg

With Priv, our commitment is to continue to provide confidence that your privacy and productivity come first. In today’s hectic world where cyber threats are real for everyone, BlackBerry is making sure that our products invoke this mantra that your privacy is your privilege.

Priv will be the solution for smartphone users who are learning daily of the lack of privacy they have on their current devices. Priv will be the answer for former BlackBerry users who miss the physical keyboard but needed apps. And, we’re responding to current – and prospective – BlackBerry users who need it all: choice, innovation, security, privacy and productivity.

What’s unique about our Android phone is that we are collaborating with Google to bring the best of BlackBerry security and productivity to the Android ecosystem.

There will be a camp that reacts to this news with surprise, while others will see how, over the past two years, we’ve laid the groundwork to make this possible. It began with honing in on our DNA of security, privacy and productivity, and then bringing that heritage and continued innovation to other operating systems.

So why is it important that we extend to Android? Launching an Android device is a tremendous new market opportunity as we continue our focus on building a cross-platform strategy. It’s a terrific proposition for dedicated Android users who are seeking greater productivity and powerful privacy features. And we are advancing our own platform, redefining the expectations of mobility in today’s age of risk and cybercrime so that we can serve customers even better.

At the same time, I want to be clear: fans of BlackBerry’s workhorse BlackBerry 10 smartphones can continue to depend on us, and we appreciate their commitment. We will be releasing new updates of this powerful OS in the upcoming year.

There is continued demand for our flagship BlackBerry 10 devices like BlackBerry Passport and Classic by consumers, enterprises and regulated industries. These devices – combined with our network – offer peerless security and productivity advantages. They’re not going away. BlackBerry is offering a new option for those customers who want the apps ecosystem to help them stay productive and engaged in their personal lives, and the security and productivity they demand at work. Combined with BlackBerry’s support of Android for Work on our BES12 platform, the new device will offer best in class security for enterprise customers.

For nearly two years now, I’ve been telling you how we would transform the iconic BlackBerry brand into a true software powerhouse. We’re doing this by integrating our strength in building the most secure software and network and embedding it into a one-of-a-kind form factor.
    BlackBerry is a new company. We have new life. And we plan to continue to surprise our customers and the industry. This is just the latest move along that path.
    BlackBerry and Android: Expanding Our World | Inside BlackBerry

BlackBerry teams up with Google for Android phone?commentary

I think this will be the turn-around of BB, the only way to hook onto new customers quickly.
    09-25-15 08:21 AM
    Sounds good, but basically at this point he has no other option (aside from completely shutting down hardware).

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-25-15 08:32 AM
    Updates with 10.3.3 = maintenance which does not equal commitment. They will keep BB10 updated with security patches and such, while seeing if this Android gamble works, then either go Android for everything, or fold up shop on handsets. Also notice no mention of new Bb10 devices.

Posted via Z30
    TGR1, RubenDM and Bbnivende like this.
    09-25-15 08:34 AM
    Updates with 10.3.3 = maintenance which does not equal commitment. They will keep BB10 updated with security patches and such, while seeing if this Android gamble works, then either go Android for everything, or fold up shop on handsets. Also notice no mention of new Bb10 devices.

Posted via Z30
    All we got was that there will be no new BB10 devices this year. Which, I don't know if they can afford it at the moment :/ May be best to get the Priv as successful as possible before putting resources behind another.
    09-25-15 08:36 AM
    The devil will be in the details and there sure weren't a lot in that puff piece. Getting fleet sales of this secured Android would be the best PR.
    09-25-15 09:11 AM
    All we got was that there will be no new BB10 devices this year. Which, I don't know if they can afford it at the moment :/ May be best to get the Priv as successful as possible before putting resources behind another.
    Meanwhile their customer in regulated markets will convert to iOS more and more. Sorry but Android is a joke to security organizations, and the BlackBerry name on the front won't change that quick enough for BlackBerry's ADHD attention span. iOS is considered second to BlackBerry on the security front choice.

Posted via Z30
    09-25-15 09:28 AM
    What will also be vital is that BBRY cannot continue to miss deadlines or announced ship dates. That has been a chronic problem with them. Improving customer service and perceived quality will also be hugely important in repairing the brand.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-25-15 09:32 AM
    What will also be vital is that BBRY cannot continue to miss deadlines or announced ship dates. That has been a chronic problem with them. Improving customer service and perceived quality will also be hugely important in repairing the brand.
    Yet they continually choose to abandon customers and products all the time that fail due to their own negligence and poor decisions. How many BES customers that have spent time and money migrating users from BBOS to Bb10 are going to be thrilled about BlackBerry telling them to migrate to the Toilet, I mean Priv? How many consumers that have stayed with them through Chen's 100% negligence on Bb10 and the Z line users, will migrate to the Priv? They are damaging the brand and customer service with each decision and half assed execution of the plan of the quarter!

Posted via Z30
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-25-15 10:19 AM
    Yet they continually choose to abandon customers and products all the time that fail due to their own negligence and poor decisions. How many BES customers that have spent time and money migrating users from BBOS to Bb10 are going to be thrilled about BlackBerry telling them to migrate to the Toilet, I mean Priv? How many consumers that have stayed with them through Chen's 100% negligence on Bb10 and the Z line users, will migrate to the Priv? They are damaging the brand and customer service with each decision and half assed execution of the plan of the quarter!

Posted via Z30
    Huh? Why would BlackBerry tell them to switch to the slider?
    You realize it's a consumer device right? There's no reason for any corporation to issue this device unless their BlackBerry phones literally stop working. Which can't even happen.
    09-25-15 10:27 AM
    You realize it's a consumer device right? There's no reason for any corporation to issue this device unless their BlackBerry phones literally stop working. Which can't even happen.
    Because anyone who listened to the conference call and thinks BlackBerry is going to keep pumping out BB10 devices is delusional. Companies will start migration and mitigation strategies to make sure they aren't in the lurch at some point. BlackBerry is transitioning yet again. I have a feeling many won't be transitioning with them this time.

Posted via Z30
    09-25-15 01:02 PM
    With its specific emphasis on security and privacy and BBRY's apparent focus in the past year I very much doubt it is a consumer phone. It's a phone to push aside all the other Androids under Good at companies.

I also really doubt BB10 is being positioned as the business line. It's being treated far too much as the red headed stepchild to be so.
    09-25-15 01:06 PM
    I can't believe they don't know how stupid that name sounds...

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 01:09 PM
    John Chen has proven to be the wrong person for the job after these last 3 years. He failed BlackBerry on the hardware side and they don't seem to be making much head way on the enterprise software side. He should be stepping down before his contract is up and if not, a replacement for him is needed sooner rather than later.

BB10 should have been available for licensing to 3rd parties.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 01:38 PM
    John Chen has proven to be the wrong person for the job after these last 3 years. He failed BlackBerry on the hardware side and they don't seem to be making much head way on the enterprise software side. He should be stepping down before his contract is up and if not, a replacement for him is needed sooner rather than later.

Posted via CB10
    With someone else at the helm, we might be looking at a different BlackBerry or a dead BlackBerry by now....

Survival needed to be "secure"d first, now they can take on new adventures.

:-)

�   Where you gonna leak...? On the Priv, of course! :-)   �
    DolemiteDONS and IndianTiwari like this.
    09-25-15 05:52 PM

Posted via Z30
    Realistically, what would you do? Or what's your suggestion at this point?

Remember, you've only got limited resources.... :-)

�   Where you gonna leak...? On the Priv, of course! :-)   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-25-15 05:54 PM
    I have never heard so much whining and sniveling in all my life. Please, any one of you who thinks they can turn this company around step forward and work for free until BlackBerry succeeds and I can guarantee you will benefit, but until you put your money where your mouth is......shut it.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-25-15 06:49 PM
    I have never heard so much whining and sniveling in all my life. Please, any one of you who thinks they can turn this company around step forward and work for free until BlackBerry succeeds and I can guarantee you will benefit, but until you put your money where your mouth is......shut it.

Posted via CB10
    Why should we sort for free when Chen is being paid a lot to ruin it?!

Posted via Z30
    Tatwi likes this.
    09-26-15 07:29 AM
    Why should we sort for free when Chen is being paid a lot to ruin it?!

Posted via Z30
    You are a big critic for the path to where we are and it gets boring to hear it over and over again but you are also wrong. BlackBerry is not where it is now because of Chen. Chen is not paid to ruin it.

 Passport SE 
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-26-15 09:35 AM
    My new thought on going android. Let me say first that I am not a fan of going android. However, right here and right now, and probably inevitably it is the thing to do.

Ios is entrenched because of the large mass appeal of apples suite of devices from ipods to phones to ipads. The OS has been well developed across all devices. It's wide appeal makes it a self sustaining ecosystem though it's effectively available on just one device. Android being open source is available to whoever wants to use it and so it's on a large number of devices from hundreds of manufacturers in all different trim levels at all different levels of usability. But it is complete and relatively well developed and fairly easily implemented on a device.

Below that is every other mobile os including Windows whose mobile os is truly not a subset or variance of its desktop os and so does not benefit from wide appeal acceptance and deployment.

So to continue to be relevant and not just an also ran, what can this level do? Well for BlackBerry it seems their solution is to take a developed open source out of the box os rework it to be secure and use it. What's it get them? Standard programming conventions on a widely utilized os are brought to BlackBerry. BlackBerry gets to focus on the parts that make it BlackBerry and not a proprietary high cost of maintenance os.

Is it popular among BlackBerry users? No. Is it best for BlackBerry. Probably. Time will tell if BlackBerry has successfully secured android. If they have I would expect to see them reenter the consumer market in a big way. Especially in light of apples recent hack and some of the other previous hacks.

Time will tell. For now my mind is open to this path.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:12 AM
    You are a big critic for the path to where we are and it gets boring to hear it over and over again but you are also wrong. BlackBerry is not where it is now because of Chen. Chen is not paid to ruin it.

 Passport SE 
    Yeah and I was probably more loyal than most of you clowns and only used BlackBerry for the last 8 years. Most of the people I see championing this BS decision are people that have been using two phones or left a while ago. Why be loyal to clowns that will leave at the next cool device that isn't BlackBerry and not the people who were loyal? You people will see this soon at the next quarterly, but to Mack people that are passed at the train wreck when you the loyalty of a fly with a short life span is laughable!

Posted via Z30
    jsmith00075 and TgeekB like this.
    09-26-15 06:16 PM
    I don't understand why people think that BB10 will not continue. The step towards Android makes sense from a business perspective and demonstrates long term strategic thinking. If BBRY can offer a secure Android, they can run with it and promote it accordingly. BB10 will exist for the corporate and the enlightened. The difference will be that us enlightened will have one BB10 device a year with a few OS updates. I have a Z10 and frankly it's having no trouble keeping up. Let BlackBerry make some money with Android, it just means more awesome is affordable.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 06:59 PM
    I don't understand why people think that BB10 will not continue.
    Because they understand corporations? Profitability? Moneypits?

You are right that BB10 will stagger on as a zombie OS for a while - with increasingly out of date handsets being sold to fewer and fewer people. With more and more people turning up here saying "App X no longer works anyone got a fix", with people hording handsets. We will also see increasingly lurid and nonsensical rumours ("Apple to buy BB10!", "Hypervisor based dual-boot coming?").

So yes it will 'continue'.
    JeepBB and gebco like this.
    09-27-15 02:56 AM
    Slider or Priv is soon going to become a reality . It will certainly script one of the finest turnaround story in the history of BlackBerry.

 Passport SE propelled by 10.3.2.2639
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-27-15 03:08 AM
    Slider or Priv is soon going to become a reality . It will certainly script one of the finest turnaround story in the history of BlackBerry.

 Passport SE propelled by 10.3.2.2639
    We've heard this before.
    gebco likes this.
    09-27-15 07:09 AM
    Why would anybody want to license BB10 OS??? Even if it were free nobody would want to take the risk when BlackBerry couldn't even sell 1mil devices last quarter? Once the average Joes find out that BlackBerry 10 does not have native Snapchat, Instagram and Google Play Services built in, they will return the phones!

As much as I dislike Android, I want BlackBerry to survive. It's a simple business plan because if you're selling BlackBerry 10 devices and the majority of the consumer are not buying then wouldn't you have a Plan B (no pun to guys who want morning after pills because Plan B is only for ladies lol).

If BlackBerry doesn't explore new plans and cater to what's driving the current smartphone needs (apps apps apps!!!), it will cease to exist! Do you want BlackBerry to cater to a small loyal fan base with losses after losses of quarterly reports? Wake up my friend because if you want BlackBerry to stick to BlackBerry 10 OS, you might as well make the company go bankrupt.

I am a huge fan of BlackBerry and I follow then daily. Heck I even have my fair share of BlackBerry stocks. I am now accepting the fact that even though I don't like Android, I would buy an Android device if it's made by BlackBerry because it's a BlackBerry device. However I really dislike the name of the Priv and I am a very who's really picky when it comes to names so I won't be buying another Toilet any time soon.

Posted via CB10

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    09-27-15 07:48 AM
38 12