Ok first thing first, we all heard before that Lazaridis is building a Tricorder but we haven't heard much about it's development. Seeing how the Globe and Mail has reported BlackBerry and NanHealth? are building a device for the Health Enterprises, will this turn out to be the Tricorder that Lazaridis has planned to bring to fruition? Is John Chen beating Lazaridis at his own game or is this a thing of the both of them? I'm just wondering because I'm interested in the development of the Tricorder from Lazaridis. What are your thoughts?

Powered by my BlackBerry (Z10). Join my #BBM Channels C001227CF, C00476C37, C003829C9, C002454C9,C002190AC, C00120CE3
    04-17-14 12:41 PM
    Given that there is no portable device, of any size, that can do what you are imaging, sensor-wise, then I would imagine that it's not going to come from a smartphone company.

Anyone who develops sensors that can do this would quickly license or sell the technology to companies like Phillips, Siemens, or GE that know how to get devices like this approved by regulatory agencies like the FDA.
    Last edited by early2bed; 04-17-14 at 01:05 PM.
    04-17-14 12:46 PM
    Given that there is no portable device, of any size, that can do what you are imaging, sensor-wise, then I would imagine that it's not going to come from a smartphone company.

Anyone who develops sensors that can do this would quickly license or sell the technology to companies like Phillips, Siemens, or GE that know how to get devices like this approved by regulatory agencies like the FDA.
    But it could come from QNX, a company acquired by a smartphone company. No one can be sure what device is being developed by BlackBerry and NantHealth. I mean a 3D scanner/sensor seems to be something you'll see pop up on a Tricorder. Plus the CEO or NantHealth has said this new device will have the power of a supercomputer or something as such. I wouldn't think this would be a smartphone even though I wouldn't consider a BlackBerry a smartphone.

Powered by my BlackBerry (Z10). Join my #BBM Channels C001227CF, C00476C37, C003829C9, C002454C9,C002190AC, C00120CE3
    04-17-14 01:15 PM
    It's seems possible, and would be great for BlackBerry's image

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 01:18 PM
    There are no less then 12 people and companies working to make a medical tricorder

Mike L. Was two years behind most of those trying to make it.

Wasn't Mikes "original" idea.
    Mike will not be the first to do so.

Nothing JC said indicates this, right now.

Stop treating Mike L as some god.

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    04-17-14 01:26 PM
    Doesn't matter who started first. Comes down to who has the best engineers and who can deliver first.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 01:41 PM
    Doesn't matter who started first. Comes down to who has the best engineers and who can deliver first.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that Apple's slogan

Posted via CB10
    loyalIND likes this.
    04-17-14 01:56 PM
    Isn't that Apple's slogan

Posted via CB10
    I thought that was "good artists copy, great artists steal"?
    04-17-14 05:37 PM
    Doctors, Fire Fighters, Emergency Units, still use pagers because first responders need a reliable device to receive emergency calls quickly on a dedicated network, I believe BlackBerry is going after this market, they already have the dedicated network...

http://m.siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...3431df1e8.html

Also this http://nanthealth.com/products/deviceconx-isirona/

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    Last edited by deptech; 04-18-14 at 07:43 AM.
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-18-14 07:31 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is developing a tricorder. I think they are simply developing a mobile device that will be optimized for certain medical applications, but will also be available to consumers.
    Mike L. on the other hand is actually developing a tricorder-like device, and I bet he's going to need to licence a certain operating system that's already used in in the medical field and other highly regulated industries...

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...service=mobile

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    04-18-14 12:48 PM
    From the article, it sounds like Lazaridis is interested in quantum computing. The reference to the tricorder seems more like a way to describe how medical conditions can be evaluated noninvasively possibly with the assistance of quantum computing. I really don't think he's making a handheld device that either scans people or uses quantum computing.

As for commercial applications, Mr. Lazaridis offered an analogy to the famous science fiction franchise Star Trek, where characters wielded powerful handheld “tricorders” that could scan the surrounding area and living creatures, and that technology is close at hand for commercializing something similar for doctors to do non-invasive scanning of a human being’s genetic make up.
    04-18-14 02:06 PM