During these layoff time at RIM, there are few open position on their career site. I applied online then got interview. and then got a job offer. I currently have fulltime job, is it wise to make a jump to RIM?

Whats your opinion guys?
    06-24-12 09:01 PM
    If the position you are being offered is more to what you want to be doing then take it. I would have no qualms about taking a job at Rim if it was more in line with what I wanted to be doing.
    06-24-12 09:12 PM
    In before the lock!
    06-24-12 09:15 PM
    If it's what you want, and the money is good.... Go For It... There is no such thing as job security anymore anyway.
    06-24-12 09:18 PM
    Let's see...
    First post casting doubts about a future with RIM.

Do you really expect anyone to believe you did enough research to find a job advertisement, have an interview, impress them enough to get an offer... yet you don't know if you make the leap of faith?

Yeah, right.
    Begone troll.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 06-24-12 at 10:13 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    06-24-12 10:11 PM
    I'd go for it.

Worst case scenario, you can look for a job while IN a job. ��
    06-24-12 10:12 PM
    Step 1: Get job at RIM
    Step 2: Sneak photos of BB10 devices
    Step 3: Share photos with CrackBerry

Step 4: Go job hunting
    maddie1128, jafobabe and jafobabe like this.
    06-24-12 10:19 PM
    Assuming the OP is for real, I'd peruse the postings and discussions at ratemyemployer.ca. Quite frankly, the picture they paint is not pretty.

I'm sure there are a certain number of RIM-haters trolling those boards, but there are a significant number of posts that seem to speak in detail of a pretty grim environment, and the ones that offer details seem pretty consistent.

Smartphone-platform enthusiasm aside, this is your livelihood you are playing with. I would not take a job with a company in RIM's position--whether you call it a "crisis", a "transition", or "unfair treatment by the media".

If they can turn it around, they'll be hiring a lot of people in the future. If you are attractive to them now, you'll be attractive to them then.

The risk is huge... moving into what is essentially a one-industry community, when that industry is experiencing difficulties. I wouldn't go there.
    06-24-12 10:24 PM
    thanks for the replies guys.

I got nothing against RIM, trying to find out some inside details before i make emotional and quick decision.
    06-24-12 11:57 PM
    Assuming the OP is for real, I'd peruse the postings and discussions at ratemyemployer.ca. Quite frankly, the picture they paint is not pretty.

I'm sure there are a certain number of RIM-haters trolling those boards, but there are a significant number of posts that seem to speak in detail of a pretty grim environment, and the ones that offer details seem pretty consistent.

Smartphone-platform enthusiasm aside, this is your livelihood you are playing with. I would not take a job with a company in RIM's position--whether you call it a "crisis", a "transition", or "unfair treatment by the media".

If they can turn it around, they'll be hiring a lot of people in the future. If you are attractive to them now, you'll be attractive to them then.

The risk is huge... moving into what is essentially a one-industry community, when that industry is experiencing difficulties. I wouldn't go there.
    RateMyEmployer.ca Employer ratings by employees
    That's Apple's. RIM and Apple are both 2 and a half stars. Granted Apple is only a retail and only a few reviews of them on there.

But I feel like that website are people who are mad with their employment or termination of employment.

I'd say get in contact with people that work there right now. Especially in your department. You might be able to find something through Google. But that'd be the best place to search for an answer.
    06-25-12 12:09 AM
    two aspects.
    company will be going through major changes over the next 6 months with high probability of many more layoffs. as the last person in, you will be the highest risk. this will also be true for those working in bb10 since the reality is that they will still have to cut staff since the sales and services revenue is dropping big time. the profit margin on bb10 phones will probably be very low (very little RIM premium like they used to get).

ratemyemployer.ca there are alot of upset people, many of them venting since they have no where else to vent. From the stories i have read there is quite a bit of substance to what they say. depends on what department they work in.

One thing for sure, it is not a healthy environment and not an opportunity for career growth.

Good luck.
    06-25-12 02:04 AM
    It depends on what job it is. If it's for marketing, then NO NO as they laid off marketing personnel. But if it's in something like design, research or some other skill set that they currently lack of, then it should be fine.

No job is absolutely safe. It's just how confident you are in yourself that you can prove that you are an asset to the company, in order for the company to retain you.

Don't forget, in most cases of layoffs, LAST IN - FIRST OUT.

You need to decide for yourself, and ask other RIM employees about the atmosphere in the company right now.
    06-25-12 03:54 AM
    thanks for the replies guys.

I got nothing against RIM, trying to find out some inside details before i make emotional and quick decision.
    How in Hades do you expect to "find out some insider details" from an Internet forum? Do you seriously think any member of this forum who works for Research In Motion is going to let you in on any "inside information?" The level of troll has taken a significant decline of late and their postings are far less amusing than past months. Maybe the OP should call the CEO's office directly for the inside scoop.
    06-25-12 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD