hello,
    i was given a bb 8800 by a colleague so i'm completely new to blackberry. i have a directory of about 200 contacts that are typed into my mac in japanese. i haven't synced it yet, as i'm worried it'll show up as blocks and then i'll have to manually delete it, but does anyone know whether or not it'll display?

the japanese text is very similar to chinese text. if i get a version of bb with chinese, would that help?
    04-08-08 12:17 PM
    You can get a japanese language set for your BB.

I noticed when I updated the OS from an Asian carrier, it had the option of turning on those language characters, and also, there are some languages available in the default OS.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    04-08-08 01:03 PM
    sure you can, i can help without having to install new OS
    04-08-08 01:15 PM
    Cool, I'd like to know how too, because might be handy to write some notes in hirigana or katakana. =)
    04-08-08 01:59 PM
    thank-you!
    i would like to reinstall the OS too if i can. i have no idea what version i'm using and feel more comfortable if i'm using a version that is the same with everyone else. are there websites out there where i can find OS to download? i don't mind installing a new OS if i can have it in japanese. i mainly need it for that anyways.
    Last edited by itou; 04-08-08 at 06:57 PM.
    04-08-08 06:54 PM
    You can find the OS here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

You need to select which carrier you're on, and then select the Asian Version. I have that option on my Vodafone. I don't know about your carrier though...
    04-08-08 08:16 PM
    did you have japanese displaying properly? i can't find a japanese carrier that carries blackberry, so they don't have one for it. the closest i can find are ones from hong kong? they don't support japanese.
    04-08-08 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD