Hi, so let's review BB launching events history.

Last time RIM launched a phone and actually made a launching event was back in August in 2010. For AT&T were Ralph De la Vega and Jim Baisille announced for the first time the Blackberry Torch.
    It was a semi private event and practically no surprises were announced. Every detail up to the launch event was already leaked. This time and since september, leaks have been spoiling what we would think the entire set of possible surprises for next Jan 30th.
    But, could RIM still give us amazing surprises? They've done it in the past. The first time I was totally amazed and almost crying, was on September the 30th 2010. The announcement of the Blackberry playbook. We heard that the so called Blackpad was about to be announced and many photoshopped images of an iPad with old BB 6.0 OS on it made me think that RIM shouldn't announce a tablet with smartphone OS. Then the playbook was announced and the specs, the OS and almost everything was a great surprise. No body expected, they suspected the announce and I bet that there were bloggers that went there just to mock on the Blackpad. There were NO images leaked previous to DEV CON and we had no idea of the OS itself.

There are two posibilities:
    1. They show what we already know and the "surprises" are what we aren't supposed to know but now we know through all the leaks.
    2. They show what we know, the leaks and "surprises".

What are your expectations?

Do you expect to be following the streamming and exclaim "wow" a few times? or do you think we already know everything? I personally remember following some blog streams for iPhone 5 lauching event. I lol'd a lot. When Tim Cook said something like: "Now we use the A6 chip", the blogger exclaimed "wow".. also when he mentioned that some apps will show up with black bars, they again "wowed" . Because those were iSurprises, the kind of surprise only a die hard fan of Apple would appreciate.

And I think I expect artists to show up, Thorstein will show up the devices and I really hope I get surprises beyond what the leaks have shown. There has to be surprises. They have to wow the world. They will spend 1 billion just for the launching date. In May and September after the demoed the BB10, Thorstein said that there were some surprises left for launching event.

I imagine Thorstein taking the stage, giving a review of Blackberry History, showing scenes of what made Blackberry a Blackberry and everything RIM did to be in the situation they are right now. Then Thorstein showing what is "next". Showing the Z10, the X10, and suddenly they show the Y10 the RSeries, the curve version for BB10, making it the most advanced low end device and cheap as current curves. putting some videos of new features. New surprises such as distance meter with Augmented Reality? I don't know I am just making this up. Perhaps car integration, that inmediatly it sends the information to your cellphone regarding everything, plate numbers, model, oil levels, all liquid levels, tires model, tires pressure, what type of oil you use. etc.
    Impressive stuff done with BB10
    New partners
    New apps
    The BB world store in general
    Artists using BB, JK Rowling writing Harry Potter 9 with it. Lady Gaga using audio tuner. Fl Studio.
    Barack Obama using BB10
    The Foo Fighters saying they hated iPhone 5 and are considering BB10
    Perhaps they mention all launching details
    And then, just as the Marvel movies.... If you stay after the credits, they show a brief video teasing the mother ****er Aristo and what we can only guess is a Blackberry Slider (Milan). Perhaps is a video with Morgan Freeman and Sammuel Jackson.

In any case. It should be fantastic...
    bb624, CDM76 and jon4400 like this.
    12-31-12 05:22 PM
    Everything leading up to Jan 30th has been plan to precision! They understood what they had and how much to leak, when to leak it a long time ago! they will have a show stopper on Jan 30 you can count on it!
    DJM626, jakie55, G-bone and 1 others like this.
    12-31-12 05:50 PM
    They will not spend $1 Billion. Total will be $100 Million.
    12-31-12 07:09 PM
    I expect Jan 30 will make iOS and Android look..............icky and yucky
    DJM626, CDM76 and Jake Storm like this.
    12-31-12 09:51 PM
    Not to get my EXPECTATIONS to high, but I kinda hope there are surprises that haven't been leaked. Like the BB10 being able to cook me breakfast in bed
    12-31-12 10:29 PM
    even I already has experienced for Blackberry 10, London EU or Dev Alpha, but still I know that something is missing here. RIM keeps "the things" in secret. Only some of people that close to BOD and R n D of RIM knows what it is. And all of them keeps in silence. Though they gave some hints, but I still don't get full image of it. One of the hint like this "Video Chat for BB10 can be used through mobile network and wifi". What I have experience from BB10, yes BBM video can be run through wifi, but no for mobile network.

About skype integration or about skype itself, they're just smile when I ask for this. Strange isn't it.
    12-31-12 10:30 PM
    So far, the guerrilla social media marketing has been first rate. I too believe....that they will give us surprises. Let us remember that these are still just communication devices, and will not, in and of themselves, end world hunger or create world peace.....but I sure want them to be the best I have EVER seen!
    G-bone, robtanz, 00stryder and 1 others like this.
    01-01-13 12:55 AM
    Lol, even a smile or a smirk gives away GOOD hints...
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-01-13 01:38 AM
    They will not spend $1 Billion. Total will be $100 Million.
    Already stated that they would spend 1 billion on marketing (yes, that's 1/3 of their current cash.) The same amount that Microsoft spent, but the difference is BlackBerry will show in the advertisements WHY they are better, not just to simply get their name out there like what Microsoft did, they never showed WHY they were better, they just showed the OS and why they are *cool*. Should be quite exciting, can't wait
    01-01-13 02:16 AM
    i expect there to be way to much expectations and with that may come a let down to some like the iPhone5 was, although there was really no difference UI wise and even looks wise it just had a faster chipset a larger screen and LTE where as BB10 will be a new platform and a new form factor then what us BB users are used to. this still doesn't stop me from thinking maybe people are expecting a little to much from BB10 and judging from some of the comments about the leaked N series i may be right
    just_luc likes this.
    01-01-13 03:28 AM
    I'll be looking for inroads into connected cars and m2m
    They never stated 1billion for advertising they said they won't take cash loads below 2billion. Witch sit at 2.9billion now. Money spent will include manufacturing costs.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-01-13 06:20 AM
    I think that what's really crucial to Rim is to follow the after jan30. I mean : no delays, no huge bugs, what I said is what you'll get, etc. They have already been punished by the markets (and clients!) because of that : like I promised you a bb10 in the fall, you'll get it next year, I've shown you the Skype icon on the PB, you'll never have it....
    As to the event...I'd love to see more new things actually. I'd love to see something brand new, so far the only brand new thing is the absence of the home button, but it's not crying wow to everyone. I'd love to see more beautiful stuff like the unlock gesture. Cause so far we only see a nice new OS that I like but which is not enough to make a revolution...
    01-01-13 06:23 AM
    I expect a bunch of surprises. Too much riding on it not to have some WOW factor.

I am hoping for some fricking laser beams.
    Pdinos3, CDM76 and craiggger like this.
    01-01-13 07:34 AM
    I expect a bunch of surprises. Too much riding on it not to have some WOW factor.

I am hoping for some fricking laser beams.
    With Sharks? I think RIM will bring the Sharks.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-01-13 08:44 AM
    laser beams shooting out from her head..... Where have I heard that before?
    01-01-13 09:01 AM
    I expect someone to start a thread that will go something like "Is anyone else a little dissapointed in the launch event today and in BB10?". LOL!

But seriously, I think 99% of us will walk away impressed. There will definitely be surprises.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    jesse_h, CDM76, djdragon and 1 others like this.
    01-01-13 09:02 AM
    Mighty Thor is ready with surprises for Jan 30th. ........
    01-01-13 09:06 AM
    I expect someone to start a thread that will go something like "Is anyone else a little dissapointed in the launch event today and in BB10?". LOL!

But seriously, I think 99% of us will walk away impressed. There will definitely be surprises.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Oh lord, I can imagine the trolls lining up spiting one after another.
    01-01-13 09:07 AM
    Thor gets my vote anyways, for the low key, but passionate face he portrays
    Dapper37 and bb624 like this.
    01-01-13 09:08 AM
    I think the biggest surprise will come with big name apps. If there is an ace up RIM's sleeves, I hope it has to do with BBM integration, including a desktop app and potential cross platform integration. To me this opens up BlackBerry to people who might otherwise be painted into another platform.
    01-01-13 09:20 AM
    I have some iOS and OS X and usually watch the Apple media events.

This is the first time that I'll make a point of watching a RIM media event.
    magutwit and spike12 like this.
    01-01-13 10:11 AM
    I would not get too excited about 30 January 2013. Another yawn-fest and the media will be salivating like rabid wolves.
    01-01-13 10:20 AM
    Already stated that they would spend 1 billion on marketing (yes, that's 1/3 of their current cash.) The same amount that Microsoft spent, but the difference is BlackBerry will show in the advertisements WHY they are better, not just to simply get their name out there like what Microsoft did, they never showed WHY they were better, they just showed the OS and why they are *cool*. Should be quite exciting, can't wait
    I think you misread what they were saying. Please show me a link to where this was stated. Apple spent $100 Million on their iPhone advertising and I don't expect RIM to pay 10Xs more.
    01-01-13 10:26 AM
    I think the biggest surprise will come with big name apps. If there is an ace up RIM's sleeves, I hope it has to do with BBM integration, including a desktop app and potential cross platform integration. To me this opens up BlackBerry to people who might otherwise be painted into another platform.
    I hope it has to do with NFC payment applications that can be rolled out to stores quickly. Or have it embedded into vending machines that run QNX so I can buy a pop (soda for you Americans) with it. Then the vending machine can tell its owner (via the internet) that they are running out of the type of pop I drink and he can come by and fill it up.
    I think they really have to push this NFC along with the security that only they can provide at this point in time.
    How about NFC to start cars instead of keys. I know now keys just have to be near the ignition instead of actually in the key slot on some cars but this might be a cool new feature.
    Also, many cars are using QNX in their software so further integration of BB10 with this software might be interesting. They can bring a Porsche on stage and show how they integrate.
    Also, remember that they signed an agreement with the major Canadian carriers regarding the secure element of their electronic wallet product so look for that to feature heavily into the presentation.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-01-13 10:33 AM
    I hope it has to do with NFC payment applications that can be rolled out to stores quickly.
    The first exposure many people will get to NFC is on the street corner when buying illicit substances or purchasing temporary companionship.

Or have it embedded into vending machines that run QNX so I can buy a pop (soda for you Americans) with it.
    This could incur the wrath of Health Canada and the Food and Drug Administration, for example, in their campaign against obesity.

I think they really have to push this NFC along with the security that only they can provide at this point in time.
    They will need a one-time-password (OTP) feature to prevent electronic pick-pocketing.

How about NFC to start cars instead of keys. I know now keys just have to be near the ignition instead of actually in the key slot on some cars but this might be a cool new feature.
    Also, many cars are using QNX in their software so further integration of BB10 with this software might be interesting. They can bring a Porsche on stage and show how they integrate

The majority of BlackBerry users own a Porsche, right? I doubt it.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-01-13 10:42 AM
97 123 ...