I've been a BlackBerry user since 2001/2002 and fallen in love with the BlackBerry experience.
    My Z30 was getting old and my position changed at work so I now was getting a new phone from them. My only choices were iPhone or Samsung so I chose the new S8, which arrived at my desk on Thursday.
    So what does any BlackBerry enthusiast do with a Android phone? Figure out how to make it feel like a BlackBerry!
    1. Download the BlackBerry Hub+ suite
    2. Download Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager so I can get my beloved BlackBerry vkb back.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/androi...uired-1059855/
    3. Search the forums to get the BlackBerry ring tone back. Download the Frank Underwood tone and swap it out.
    http://m.crackberry.com/ringtone/spirit
    4. Search the forums to get the sunrise Alarm back. Add it as the default alarm tone.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-sound-797567/
    5. Move around the quick settings buttons to get the Do Not Disturb button in easy reach and set it to be like Bedside mode.
    6. Set the always on screen to display an analog clock and change the dial colour to red.
    7. Use the BlackBerry launcher
    8. Configure Hub
    9. Get a case on this thing. It is so slippery (I miss my Z30's grippy back cover)
    10. BlackBerry Blend alternative
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...desync30&hl=en

I haven't figured out the LED notification RGB yet, so that's next on my list.

It wasn't my choice to go in this direction but so far it's a great phone and with the BlackBerry modifications it's something I can definitely live with.
    Last edited by mcstravi; 04-24-17 at 05:12 PM.
    04-23-17 07:27 AM
    Sounds like you are handling the transition well!
    04-23-17 07:41 AM
    Nice that you've been able to modify to your "BlackBerry" likings. I have a work issued iPhone 6s. But our work phones are seriously locked down. We can't even get into the App Store or iTunes. We use Mobile Iron and Junos Pulse VPN and have our "Own" App Store for Company Apps and our MDM pushes Apps through as needed.

So I need a personal device which allows me to stay with BlackBerry unless this KEYone is pushed back even further. It's odd, I won't go to Android unless it with BlackBerry. But your post made me think about giving a different Android a chance if my hand is forced.
    04-23-17 07:46 AM
    I think I followed the exact opposite of this guide on my old DTEK60. I might reinstall just the Hub on my new S8 if I was so inclined, but I doubt it.
    1khalid likes this.
    04-23-17 09:51 AM
    Switched from blackberry SE to samsung S8+ and I installed Hub+ suit, VKB, BBM, Password keeper but did not install the launcher.

restored my whatsapp messages from Passport to S8+ easily.

Even set up do not disturb to behave like bedside mode.

I couldn't be happier. missing my berries though :P just for their feel.

I thought switching to android would be a pain, but it was easy.
    Uzi likes this.
    04-23-17 09:55 AM
    Nice.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 10:08 AM
    Tempting, but I think too big and too expensive.
    04-23-17 11:39 AM
    Tempting, but I think too big and too expensive.
    It's an easier decision when work pays for it!
    I was going to look at other options that are budget friendly if I was footing the bill!

As for size it's very close to the Z30
    04-23-17 11:59 AM
    I've been a BlackBerry user since 2001/2002 and fallen in love with the BlackBerry experience.
    My Z30 was getting old and my position changed at work so I now was getting a new phone from them. My only choices were iPhone or Samsung so I chose the new S8, which arrived at my desk on Thursday.
    So what does any BlackBerry enthusiast do with a Android phone? Figure out how to make it feel like a BlackBerry!
    2. Download Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager so I can get my beloved BlackBerry vkb back.
    3. Search the forums to get the BlackBerry ring tone back. Download the Frank Underwood tone and swap it out.
    4. Search the forums to get the sunrise Alarm back. Add it as the default alarm tone.
    5. Move around the quick settings buttons to get the Do Not Disturb button in easy reach and set it to be like Bedside mode.
    6. Set the always on screen to display an analog clock and change the dial colour to red.
    8. Configure Hub
    9. Get a case on this thing. It is so slippery (I miss my Z30's grippy back cover)

It wasn't my choice to go in this direction but so far it's a great phone and with the BlackBerry modifications it's something I can definitely live with.
    I hope that I won't need to that much customizing when I get my KEYone, but thanks for the info about what you did. It would be truly helpful to put links next to each point (ex. Link to sunrise tone) so it will can help others easily find things. Thanks!
    04-23-17 12:39 PM
    8. Configure Hub

Thank you. I'll be moving to a S7 this week for the same reason (actually, my Z30 is dying a slow death right now). I'll look forward to trying these out!
    04-23-17 12:45 PM
    I hope that I won't need to that much customizing when I get my KEYone, but thanks for the info about what you did. It would be truly helpful to put links next to each point (ex. Link to sunrise tone) so it will can help others easily find things. Thanks!
    You won't.

Items's 1, 2, and 7 would be pre-installed on the KEYone. But, it doesn't take long to install these on another Android device -- they're merely apps.
    Items 3 and 4 are only an issue if you prefer those specific tones and don't keep them on your mSD card (I do).
    Item 5 takes but a moment to accomplish.
    Item 6 you wouldn't do on a KEYone.
    Item 8 is part of the standard setup.
    Item 9 is a personal choice, but the KEYone would work fine without a case, since it's not slippery to hold at all.

As for the OP... yes, he now has a fast, all-touch BlackBerry-like device that many had been hoping for from BlackBerry these past couple of years. It works great.
    04-23-17 12:51 PM
    It's an easier decision when work pays for it!
    I was going to look at other options that are budget friendly if I was footing the bill!

As for size it's very close to the Z30
    You find find it a little too awkward since it's a little more tall than it is wide?
    04-23-17 12:52 PM
    8. Configure Hub

You should check this out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...desync30&hl=en

It's very handy to have your S8 available from your desktop/laptop.
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-23-17 12:53 PM
    You find find it a little too awkward since it's a little more tall than it is wide?
    Not likely. Here's the S8+ beside the Z30. They are the same physical width, but the S8+ is taller.

The S8 is physically narrower than the Z30 (but with the same screen width) and only slightly taller.

I've "BlackBerry-ized" my Samsung S8!-img_1374.jpg
    04-23-17 01:53 PM
    Not likely. Here's the S8+ beside the Z30. They are the same physical width, but the S8+ is taller.

The S8 is physically narrower than the Z30 (but with the same screen width) and only slightly taller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	421731
    Awesome! I was worried the screen would be way too narrow
    04-23-17 02:40 PM
    Any reason why it seems like almost everyone go Samsung when they switch to Android? Considering there's like countless android options out there...pretty much everyone I know has an iPhone or a samsung. Just seems weird....

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) and jmr1015 like this.
    04-23-17 03:38 PM
    Any reason why it seems like almost everyone go Samsung when they switch to Android? Considering there's like countless android options out there...pretty much everyone I know has an iPhone or a samsung. Just seems weird....

Posted via CB10
    Well, what kind of car do you have? Fridge? Washer? Dryer? Probably all well known brands.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was going to go Android for my Z30 replacement but I was going to look at other brands that are cheaper.
    The thing with the Samsung or iPhone is there are more cases / accessories available and easier to get someone to fix it if something goes wrong. That's why I was avoiding the DTEK60.
    04-23-17 04:39 PM
    I suspect we will be seeing many more threads like this in the coming weeks.

One question to OP - any idea if you are able to back up your add-on BlackBerry Suite apps with all data, settings etc on your S8, using a utility such as Helium or similar? That is something that BlackBerry Android will not allow.
    04-23-17 04:43 PM
    I suspect we will be seeing many more threads like this in the coming weeks.

One question to OP - any idea if you are able to back up your add-on BlackBerry Suite apps with all data, settings etc on your S8, using a utility such as Helium or similar? That is something that BlackBerry Android will not allow.
    Haven't tried. Settings and things were easy to set so I not sure what I'd backup.
    04-23-17 04:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    They're the biggest one: https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone...t-share/vendor

More presence means more accessories, more ads, more phones in the shops and on the streets.
    04-23-17 05:16 PM
    Haven't tried. Settings and things were easy to set so I not sure what I'd backup.
    For the first time setting up a new device perhaps, but when restoring it (ie factory reset) this could help save a lot of time. If anyone has tried I'd be interested to hear it.
    04-23-17 05:22 PM
    I think I followed the exact opposite of this guide on my old DTEK60. I might reinstall just the Hub on my new S8 if I was so inclined, but I doubt it.
    What does the opposite look like? Doing nothing?

You don't like the BlackBerry services on other Android devices? If not, why?
    04-23-17 05:27 PM
    What does the opposite look like? Doing nothing?

You don't like the BlackBerry services on other Android devices? If not, why?
    As in, "putting Nova Launcher, Gboard, GMail, etc on a DTEK60 to see what would happen". The most marked change was with the keyboard, and now Gboard is one of the first apps I install. But the rest of it just showed that whether it was a Hub suite app or not made no significant difference to me. Hence, once the S8+ came in, I felt no need to search out the Hub suite.
    matthewkuhl likes this.
    04-23-17 06:00 PM
    As in, "putting Nova Launcher, Gboard, GMail, etc on a DTEK60 to see what would happen". The most marked change was with the keyboard, and now Gboard is one of the first apps I install. But the rest of it just showed that whether it was a Hub suite app or not made no significant difference to me. Hence, once the S8+ came in, I felt no need to search out the Hub suite.
    Sounds like BlackDroid is no good then, eh?
    04-23-17 06:02 PM
57 123